Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 16G shotgun mufflers for 06 SEVROD  (Read 14776 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Re: 16G shotgun mufflers for 06 SEVROD
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 12:56:03 PM »

Wow, I would have thought they would be better based upon the '06 "Stock" numbers posted by H-D.  According to the marketing material for that model...120hp/86.0lbs @7000rpm...no mods.

Oh well.

My V was dyno'd with less than 500 miles on her.  I went and dug out the sheets so I could see before/after graphs.  The stock run was 117/84.  I remember thinking there wasn't that much of a difference.  And those numbers are at 8,000 rpms not 7,000 rpms so I can see where Fired00d is right about the difference at crank and rear wheel.  I'm not a mechanic, but do understand computer programs.  I somewhat thought it was going to be a waste of money when Dawg told me that I needed to get it done, but John's wife explained the process to me and then it made sense - maybe not mechanically but logically.  

The thing that I noticed the most was less of a dip in power at 3500 rpms.  He said that is common with a Thunderheader even though the manfacturer says it's not there, but by doing the custom map, he was able to smooth that out some.  Another was the Air/Fuel ratios and the fuel intake at each throttle position.  For instance, on the V, there was NO fuel intake at position 1 through 3 and very little between 3 and 10.  That really doesn't make a difference to you or anyone used to a juice clutch, but I went from a 99 Sportster where I had a big friction zone to a hydraulic clutch on the V that I found difficult to start uphill from a complete stop.  When I talked to Bill Morris about it at Earl Small HD (a former Zipper employee), he told me that was why I kept dumping it.  After the dyno, I didn't have to gun it some much on uphill starts.  Maybe that's my imagination, but until then I had to restart a few times (and that is not easy while trying to follow the Dawg who seemed to forget I was new to the bike).

As I said, I'm not a mechanic, but have habitually paid close attention to the feel and sound of every vehicle I have owned.  I cannot tell you how many times I have got out to find the source of something that sounds different.  I can tell when my fuel injectors need cleaned, when my brakes needs serviced, oil needs changed, or I have a rock or nail stuck in my tire (or that my son decided to "powerslide" in my car), etc from the change in sound, feel, and smell.  I think that come from growing up dirt poor and knowing that if something goes wrong, I'd be SOL and was taught "a stitch in time can save nine."  After my ride home from MB, I could tell you at exactly what speed/rpm I felt the dip or when something changed.  I freaked out on my ride with JC and Chip because I could smell antifreeze and thought I was about to blow the bike!

Some guys on the Vrod forum told me that I should have it dyno'd at 3500 miles or so to get a true reading.  I was also told that if it dyno'd with those numbers at low miles that it would only "get stronger" with time.  Not sure what that means or how it works until I have it done and ask my usual 10,000 questions!

Gary, I'd like to hear a recording of it before and after the change in pipes.  I actually like the look of the stock pipes better, but I like the sound of the Thunderheader.  It makes it sound less like a Jap bike!  John Golden said he would not have put a Thunderheader on it.  I was trying to remember what he recommended, but can't.  Will have to think about that one.

~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 10:41:22 PM »

Explain quick shifter please. Not sure what you mean ?

Thanks
         BB

Go to the power commander web site and it will tell you all about the quick shifter. That is why it was installed on this bike.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 10:46:52 PM »

H-D like most manufacturers uses the hp/tq numbers at the crank to make the numbers appear higher. When you get dyno hp/tq numbers they are at the rear wheel, which will be slightly lower. However these numbers are the ones that count.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

DOOD you are correct. All of HD's numbers are at the crank. Take you crank numbers and subtract 20% and you will be in the neighborhood. Remember the numbers when John first dynoed the Vrod were with the mods and a generic map. It was close but not RIGHT ON TIME!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 12:56:44 AM »

I was hoping for the quick shifter for dummies version (me being the dummy) from the lady with the product installed on her motorcycle. But thanks for answering for her.  8-)

Well since I did all of the work on that bike, I would be more qualified to anwser the question. The Dummies version is on the web site.It is a trick setup. Just ask the people she flys by on the highway.

Be Safe

The Dawg
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 12:59:45 AM »

DOOD you are correct. All of HD's numbers are at the crank. Take you crank numbers and [highlight]subtract 20%[/highlight] and you will be in the neighborhood.

Everything I've ever read or heard is that rear wheel dyno numbers will vary from crank outputs by 10 % to 20% depending on how the power is transferred to the rear wheel. Automotive drivetrains lose on average 20% with most motorcycle drive trains being in the 10% range. Harley-Davidson advertises the CVO 103 at 100 ft lbs of Torque. Off the showroom floor these bikes do indeed produce right around 90 ft lbs.

To tell you the truth I am not sure what they do stock. I do know what they will do when you play with them. The Vrod destroyer is rated at 165HP by Harley and out of the box they click right around 145 before tune up. So it is anyones guess.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 07:25:03 PM »

Welcome...

I have an 06 SE V-Rod w/16GA on it...H-D produced a download for these bikes and this would prevent you from having to invest into a race tuner or power commander.  If you plan upon doing any additional motor work to the bike, then you would need to invest into additional management of the motor.

I stand corrected...As I now understand it, the download was produced for the 1150 engine, not the 1250.  Hence the possible need for a race tuner or power commander.

As for me, I have been pleased without it, however now question my position on the long-term.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »

Gary & Theresa - What did you decide to do on her Vrod?  Or made the decision yet?

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »

[highlight]I'm sure one can pass a lot of people in 650 miles. [/highlight]I read what's posted on the website. Doesn't tell me squat as to a firsthand users account. What I am interested in is - - - how does it work ? I'm not interested in how to install it I would greatly appreciate a hands on been there done that on how it works, what do you do to shift etc etc , you know kind of a - - you are there narrative on shifting a bike with one of these on it.

Thanks

It took me a while to figure this one out. Spiderman please tell me you didn't check the mileage between her house and mine!!!!!

If so WHY??????

I guess there goes the history lesson for the shift rod!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:44:26 PM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 10:47:47 PM »

She purchased the 16G shotgun mufflers.  I installed them on the bike tues.  After speaking with the service mgr at my local harley dealer I found out the Harley does in fact have a download for the SEVROD with this muffler.  She has decided to have the download done for now (she is having it done FRI).  We can always go with a race tuner at a later date if she decides she want a greater performance gain.  On the topic of race tuners I have a question for ya'll.  My father has a race tuner on his fatboy.  We are very lucky to live in an area where we are only hours away from the beach and hours away from the mountains.  My father has noticed changes in performance at the different altitudes with his race tuner.  I do not have a race tuner on my 05 SEEG and I do not have any noticable performance changes at the different altitudes.  This has made me very leary of race tuners.  So I guess my question is  was my fathers race tuner set up poorly or is the performance changes to be expected with race tuners at different altitudes.  Oh by the way I thing the 16G sound great and more importantly Teresa is impressed.

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 10:52:19 PM »

Oh I almost forgot we entered our bikes in a local bike show.  We cleaned up.  My bike took first place and Teresa's bike took best of show.  We are pretty proud! ;D.  

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »

Of course Teresa is gloating because her trophy is bigger than mine  8-)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 11:21:50 PM »

Can you post pics of the Vrod with the new pipes showing?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 11:22:22 PM »

................................................. My father has noticed changes in performance at the different altitudes with his race tuner.  I do not have a race tuner on my 05 SEEG and I do not have any noticable performance changes at the different altitudes.  This has made me very leary of race tuners.  So I guess my question is  was my fathers race tuner set up poorly or is the performance changes to be expected with race tuners at different altitudes. ...........................................................................................
The Race Tuner shouldn't have any affect on altitude compensation.  The RT only changes the map in the stock ECM, and doesn't defeat any of the stock sensors which provide the data for altitude compensation to the ECM.  Perhaps your father's bike has a defective sensor.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »

Thanks Jerry I'll look into that.  V I'll take some new pics this weekend and post them.

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »

V - I still havent taken any new pics of Teresa's bike however untill I take a pic of her bike take another look at "jegomez's" bike.  The one with the engine guard.  They look like the same muffler.  These mufflers have a nice sound.  My wife is pretty short and the stock pipes stick out so wide that she was on her tip toes on the right side (even after lowering it one inch).  The 16G stay closer to the side of the bike so Teresa can stand flat footed without burning her leg.  I will still get more pics of her bike so keep in touch.  WE LOVE TO SHOW OFF OUR BIKES  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif].
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.