Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Saddle Bags Falling Off  (Read 51406 times)

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »

I have 2800 miles on my FLSTSE3 to date, and have NOT had any problems.
I think it is easy to NOT have them hooked properly - I have had mine off for cleaning many times and I just make sure they
are installed correctly.

JMHO :2vrolijk_21:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »

Until Brukus make a secure hold for the ConV's, the answer is cheap black cable ties..

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »

just make sure they are on , on all 3 points, and the locking mechanism is activated....... not rocket science guys

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »

I have 2800 miles on my FLSTSE3 to date, and have NOT had any problems.
I think it is easy to NOT have them hooked properly - I have had mine off for cleaning many times and I just make sure they
are installed correctly.

JMHO :2vrolijk_21:

x2
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 conv
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »

X2, just make sure all attached properly and pin is out. Never had a problem.

Brian K

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 11:43:40 AM »

I own a 2011 CVO Softail Convertible, along with 3 other HD's. I had my first right saddlebag fall off after picking it up from the dealer with 50 miles on it! After much arguing and months of waiting I picked up the bag. Not wanting to ride the bike there with one bag, I took the bag home and installed it myself. Of course, after that incident, I made absolutely sure that it was locked securely and checked that it was on correctly. I rode the bike for no more than 30 miles and under hard acceleration, the bag fell off again! I immediately took it to my dealer who also immediately called HD. Their response- "rider error" in installing the bag!! After 30 years of riding and wrenching HD bikes, they tell me I can not install a saddle bag! There is a definite issue with the mounting of these bags. My friend purchased the same bike several months before me. He did not have any issue until early this month while riding to The Americade in Lake George, NY. While riding on the Northway, his bag fell off and bounced down the road! I recently went to Bergen HD in New Jersey and the sales manager there told me that he had 3 bags fall off of three seperate bikes. In addition to the bag issue, I alos had major engine issues. The bike would not run properly when hot. After a while (and twice while in a turn) the bike stalled. New Roc HD picked up the bike. After several weeks it was determined that the wirig harness was run above the frame and under the seat pan. This killed the BCM and ECM and shorted everything out! In short, there is a major issue with the bags which will end up killing one of us and the CVO build quality leaves a lot to be desired- especially for a $30K bike!!!!

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

Brian.  I am with you bud.  I was not the first to report this issue, and I won't be the last.  Funny how all the other guys are so sure this is a simple as checking your bags until it happens to them and then they are like, WHAT THE H*LL.  This is a serious problem the MoCo is hiding, at least until someone gets killed.  All that being said, I love my ConV but I do not trust the quick connect and use black cable ties.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »

I guess I am one of those other guys.  I know myself that the bags are not as easy to install as they are to "uninstall".  Remember the original video when the windshield, sissybar, rear seat, and saddlebags could all be removed in under 2 minutes?  That is a true statement.  However, to do a complete job, it takes probably 5 minutes to reinstall all that stuff.  Specifically with the saddlebags, there are 3 points to line up, it is true, but some of them must be lined up independently of the other; this makes it difficult at best.  It's not like the ladder that slides across the library wall on a track so you can easily gain access to your book of choice.  I remember the '10 mounting bracket by the rear footpeg had to have the loop cover a pin and then slide forward, locking the pin inside the narrow part of the loop as I recall.  The '11 and '12 are almost identical design to themselves.  Most difficult part for me is lining up the inside of the bracket of the saddlebag with the 2 pins on the fenderrail of the bike.  And getting the C-bracket aligned with the groove behind the rear footpeg at almost the same time.  Once you get those all 3 lined up, then you do your best to drive them home (foreward motion).  When all 3 points are firmly (I said firmly!!) fastened as they should be, you pull out the levered knob inside the saddlebag and rotate it upward which allows the locking bolt to slide into the slot and it is a done deal.  Then you observe again that the bag is aligned correctly on the rail and that the C-bracket or loop is fully engaged in that footpeg point.  If something is wiggling just a little bit, it is not firmly engaged at that point and needs to be repositioned and tightened.  When I got my '10, whoever assembled the left bag was not trained well and just jammed it on and consequently cost me time and energy to have a new black grommet replaced as I could barely get the bag off because of a chipped grommet.  We do need to learn our bikes (as best we can) so when faced with mechanical issues, we can be successful.  I can't do much with the electronics of this bike but I sure can about the mechanical parts.  The alternative is expending more energy in waiting for the MOCO to rule in our favor and less time riding.  At fast approaching 60 years old, I have now had 3 years of convertibles as well as the Heritage I started with.  Something falls off my bike, I have a pretty good feel if it was something I did or something they didn't do.  right is right and wrong is wrong but if it's an easy fix, I try to get the new part and take ownership myself.  My experience has been in 8 years of owning Harleys, the dealerships are hard-pressed to find anybody (that's anybody including those old wrenches that are spending more time enjoying their legendary status rather than painstakingly really caring for my bike as if it was their own) that treats your bike like it was theirs.    they are all about the mighty dollar$ these days.  Once it hits the dealership, my experience has been they treat it like it was just another used bike and (with rare exception) if anybody believes otherwise, they are fooling themselves.  there is a frame of mind in today's shops that Harley has been around so long, your bad experience isn't going to change anything and you will just keep coming back for more.  so, my fix is I am going to try to do absolutely everything mechanical that I can do myself.  This includes making double sure my saddlebag is on correctly and when I tug on it, it looks and feels solid.  Maybe it could be a loose pin bolt or something else that doesn't give it that solid feel before you take out on the highway.  Once the bag goes sailing down the highway isn't the time to be cursing yourself or the dealership.  We can't rely on them to make sure stuff is secure or we will be sadly disappointed.  So, go the extra mile and familiarize yourself with this "rocket science" of 3-pin alignment so that when you install your bag after washing the bike, you know in your own mind that it is hundred percent going to stay on.  The knob on the '12 does seem like it is a bit larger and more surely allows the locking bolt to slide into place................. Now, I've ambled on and on but I hope at least one person new to the Convertible bag topic will gain something from this and never experience the tragedy of a scarred bag that may end up bouncing up and thru someones windshield; something much worse!  Black tie-straps won't do much for a bag that is already installed incorrectly. And why in the world would I want to entrust the bag of my $30,000 motorcycle to the "security" of a 10c wire-tie or what about baling wire?  Plus wire-ties sort of defeat the concept of "quick-disconnect" or even worse, "quick-connect".  Let's all do our homework, learn from other people's mistakes,  and make absolutely sure you have the bag installed correctly or fix what doesn't line up.  I believe the design is correct.    The Porkster.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:33:29 PM by porkypig »

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »

Pork, over time I have read and agreed with many of your posts.  Generally I think of you as a pretty smart guy, however, as someone who has been riding my whole life, and is very familiar with this problem, your post here comes across as condescending.  Congrats that you have never had this problem and I hope you never do, but please do not mistake your disciplined pre-ride checklist as a fix-all to a problem you have never had.  Every one of the three dealers in my area has reported this problem to the MoCo, that tells me that the failure rate is high enough (either by design or rider error) that the quick connect system should be reviewed by engineering.  If a fatality is ever reported due to this issue, you can be sure it will be reviewed by the National Highway Safety Administration.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »

My apologies if I came across as condescending; it was not my intention.  I have more respect for you and the others here on our forum.  I am not the first that states cases from my own point of view; I can't put myself on anybody elses's bike because that bike is theirs.  As I said in my post, it can take as long as 5 minutes to put all the stuff back on the bike.  Including the saddlebags.  It is not easy putting the saddlebags back on.  I did not say it was.  There are a number of things to line up and it does take some effort to get them assembled correctly.  There has been more than one time that I have not had them on correctly and discovered a check-point that I did not have in the right place, so it looked right but was only jammed.  Aligning the parts resolved the problem and then it slid together firmly.  And I had assurance that they were not going to fall off.  Or bounce off.  Try this yourself: Take the bags off and then put them on slowly and deliberately.  then wiggle each part of where they attach, including the locking bracket.  Hopefully it feels as sound as the rock of Gibralter.  As I said, I had a problem with the '10 bag on the left not being able to get it to remove initially.  Upon inspection, I realized that whoever put the bag on, had it misaligned and jammed it so hard that it broke the black plastic mounting bracket.  And then sent the bike to me, the customer.  That was not a design flaw; that was inexperience on the part of the (Harley rep, wrench, salesman, etc.) or poor training or both.  I'm not much on trusting the work quallity of the 'wrenches' at the dealer anymore; they don't even tell you if they damage your bike while it is in their care.  So, their integrity is not very high in my eyes.  I think they just don't care any more.  Therefore, I simply choose to double and triple check this item that a number of people are having issues with so I don't become the next one to experience it.  I don't have to personally experience the problem to be able to offer some concrete advice as to how to remedy it.  when I had the speedometer issue a couple years ago, do you know how many people told me "I don't even use the speedometer anymore; I just count and keep track of my mileage".  They just decided to circumvent the real problem and work around it.  I am very much a mechanical-minded person and if I can wrap my mind around what the real issue is, I can deal and relate to it and resolve it.  And relay my findings to others so they too can benefit from it.  But when people start relaying intangible theories and nobody offers to put their finger on the real problem, I too get frustrated.  Another thing that can add to the issue is the amount of weight one is carrying in a saddlebag.  I believe they are rated for 10 lbs is all and if someone puts double and tripple that much weight or more in the bag, I could see where something is going to give and that could begin tipping the scales.  this stuff is only mechanical and I also believe if a fatality occurs, the National Highway Safety Administration most certainly will review it.  I hope it never comes to that.  So, if everybody out in Forum Land will remove their bags, thoroughly inspect their mounting points and the like, and reassemble them (correctly), hopefully there will be some success stories testified to here on the forum and the  stories of disappointment on this topic will minimize.  So, Jasray, again, I offer my apology to you personally that I was condescending in my last post.  I really am a nice guy (and my wife also thinks I'm smart as I married her :))  I like to keep my bike in good repair and I really like to help other people fix their bikes as well so we can all keep riding.  and if you are anywhere close, drop in and I'll cook you a good ribeye!  And shake your hand.                       Pork.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

Well said Pork, I too have not had any issues with the bags on my 2012, but like you said, I am very mechanical and have worked in the industry. I have had my bags off many times to facilitate cleaning, have been very deliberate in making sure that all 3 points line up correctly. So far so good!

I totally agree with your assessment of so called PHD trained Techs. No one will work on or do the job like it should be done, and if by chance they do get a good Tech. He will not be there long, because he may take too long to complete a service. When I ask what the 1000 mile service would cost, I was floored, $338.00 and it is just a glorified Oil change.
I did my own with Syn3 for $83.00 WTH- most labor rates run from $65-$89 around here, so how long does it take them to drain 3 holes, check belt tension and a few other ket wear items, then refill the Trans, Primary and Motor?

I have not had any issues with my Speedo cluster since the Re-Flash !

Headed for Maggie Valley this Saturday for some riding and a stop at the Wheels through Time and of course some board scrapping on the Dragon. Yee ha

Keep your knees in the Breeze :2vrolijk_21:
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »

The fact that so many people, including dealership personnel, have had issues getting the bags secured properly tells me there is a basic underlying problem with the design or the execution of that design.  While it's wonderful that people who are technical, or just obsessive, have figured out how to take a 30 second job and spend 5 minutes tweaking everything to make it work, I don't remember seeing anything in the catalog description of that detachable system requiring an engineering degree or advanced mechanical skills to operate it.  If every detachable accessory they sell was subject to this kind of failure rate, smart folks would avoid the stuff like the plague.  If people's tour paks or hard bags or windshields were flying off going down the highway, I'd imagine we would eventually see the NHTSA get involved.  Since this particular model is very low volume, the problem is too small to hit the radar.  But that doesn't make it any less of a problem for those involved.

I commend folks giving a heads up to prospective victims so they can take the extra precautions to hopefully keep their bags from becoming roadside trash or causing a crash, but I don't think it's doing anyone any favors by implying it's not a bad design but just a user problem.  That's like blaming a Pinto driver for the fire because he stopped too fast in front of that speeding car.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »

Since this particular model is very low volume, the problem is too small to hit the radar.  But that doesn't make it any less of a problem for those involved.
If it was only one (1) bike that they made and it was a defective design, it wouldn't be off the radar at all.  Some are just saying take the time to double check your gear prior to taking a ride on your bike.  One can read about mishaps everyday that were the result of someone not checking their bald tire before the blow-out occurred, not checking their tank level before they ran out of gas, or not checking their head/signal lights before they got taken out by that car that didn't see them in the intersection.  With the sissy-bar and trunk quick-releases on this bike, one must line up the plastic swivel-joint to receive the chrome post or it just will not go over the post.  And one must remember to lock it in place......or it just might come off and you may lose your......... passenger.  When installing the windshield on these bikes one must spend some time getting this corner inserted and snugged down and then those other slots over the posts, etc or the windshield may come off going down the road.  We learn by doing or someone else's misfortune.  I'm saying for the people experiencing the problem, try giving some of these positive tips some consideration and don't be so quick to blame design.  This is a very dangerous game we all play; we all haul precious cargo (us) on our bikes and to play to win requires way more attention even than driving a Pinto. And if one day I have to eat my words that it at least "involves" a heightened installation awareness, I will eat them with purpose and a "they were right" expression on my face.  Now where is that moderator that is fixin' to pull my post for exacerbating this issue and replace it with  :beatdeadhorse:  Pork.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:48:58 PM by porkypig »

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »

Now where is that moderator that is fixin' to pull my post for exacerbating this issue and replace it with  :beatdeadhorse:  Pork.

I doubt that will happen here. . . .  most of them ride the BIG bikes, with HARD bags that have a totally different locking system. I love my FLSTSE3, and glad I made the purchse this year, as it appears to be the last year ?

JMHO :nixweiss:
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »

Absolutely do not want to beat a dead horse, but:  Here is my small history on this issue- When I picked up my bike from the dealer (Jan 2012), there was back and forth small talk between the salesman and the mgr. about being sure the bags were on right.  Evidently on the prior sale they guy took his new bike and on the way home "lost" a bag.  So my salesman was super sensitive to this subject and spend a lot of time with me showing me how to make sure it was on right, and how you can easily make a boo boo.  I thought it was simple enough.  Several weeks later before going on a ride I happended to glance at the mounting points on one of my bags and noticed it was Not hooked up properly on one of the sprockets (don't know what else to call them).  Even so I tried to move the bag and could not.  The locking park was done right but it still was not mounted correctly.  It was my fault.  When I had taken it off the last time to clean I must have missed propertly hooking it on one of the sprockets totally.  So I immediately removed the bag and reinstalled it the correct way.  Don't know how the 2010, or 2011's work (I assume the same way), but once the internal lock is totally clicked in it would be very difficult for me to see how it could fall off.  But anything is possible.  It's not the best engineered solution for a locking mechanism in my opinion. (I am not a mechanic or engineer, but even I can say this).  But since that one error on my part, no matter what, before riding I always inspect all the connecting points on the back (to make sure it's mounted in the right slots), and also touch the internal lock to make sure it's really locked.  So far so good.  Long winded story I know, but that's my personal experience..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.