Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Saddle Bags Falling Off  (Read 51746 times)

Turkish

Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »

the proof will not be enough until it happens to them, which I hope it doesnt. Heck I rode 6-8 hours round trip, no problems, rode to work all week, no problems, did not take the bags off once as I planned on doing a major cleaning during the weekend, then the day before the weekend it fell off.

zip ties for me once i get a new bag!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »

this has  nothing to do with religion  or the supernatural
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »

this has  nothing to do with religion  or the supernatural

Not literally, but then again how many of us have gremlin bells on our bikes! ???

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »

Lever,

Then lets look at it from a historical point of view.  How many times in the past has the MoCo had design problems that it absolutely refused to admit to, until they finally fessed up.  Just the problems with paint and engine issues alone is phenomenal for a 100+ year old company.  I personally never had any of those issues (I was lucky), but I wouldn't dream of being so self assured of my own experiences that I would tell someone who was experiencing those problems that it was all their fault.  The paint problems were real, the engine problems were real, this bag problem is real.

I am very happy that you have not had this unfortunate experience, but there are just too many incidents, I have spoken to far to many dealers, and even the conversations I had with the MoCo, all lead me to believe that there is a design flaw lurking in the shadows.  As a practical point, Harley is very clever about taking something that works on one bike and carrying that innovation to other models as it rolls out new products.  Have you seen this specific quick release system expanded to any other bikes?  Why would that be?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »

Lever,

Then lets look at it from a historical point of view.  How many times in the past has the MoCo had design problems that it absolutely refused to admit to, until they finally fessed up.  Just the problems with paint and engine issues alone is phenomenal for a 100+ year old company.  I personally never had any of those issues (I was lucky), but I wouldn't dream of being so self assured of my own experiences that I would tell someone who was experiencing those problems that it was all their fault.  The paint problems were real, the engine problems were real, this bag problem is real.

I am very happy that you have not had this unfortunate experience, but there are just too many incidents, I have spoken to far to many dealers, and even the conversations I had with the MoCo, all lead me to believe that there is a design flaw lurking in the shadows.  As a practical point, Harley is very clever about taking something that works on one bike and carrying that innovation to other models as it rolls out new products.  Have you seen this specific quick release system expanded to any other bikes?  Why would that be?

EXACTLY.  If you look at what they offer in the catalog you will not find the mounting system they use on the Convertible.  I have no idea why they thought they needed to change the system from what they've been selling for Softails for years.  I also haven't heard of any issues with those other designs having bags falling off riding down the highway.  So yes, there is no doubt there is a design issue.  And yes, Harley is famous for trying to blame customers for Harley mistakes.  And yes, if people just meekly accept the BS from Harley rather than fight, Harley will never fess up and make it right.  I wonder how many people so far have been given the BS story and had to pay for a replacement bag out of pocket.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »

the reason why you havn't seen this specific quick release system expanded to any other bikes? 
cause there is only 1 convertible model   the reason the convertible was designed  is it 2 bikes in one  ...in less then 2Min's. you can change a bagger bike to a Friday nite  boulevard cruiser  that was the big selling point on the convertible model's 

2017 Road King M8
stage IV

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2012, 01:51:56 PM »

A similar system does exist on the Dyna Switchback.  The only difference between the two is the lower support arm does not exist on the Switchback.  Some of us think that is the flaw in the Convertible design.  When the suspension is compressed by a large amount it is left uncompensated for in that support arm, subsequently putting pressure between the support arm contact point and the contact points for the support pins.

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »

TxDrifter, That makes the most sense to me. I have never had that problem personally, but it seems possible.
If you were to hit a big enough bump with the rear wheel, perhaps the lower bracket is actually pushing the upper bracket to the rear and dislodging the bag.
If that is the case, it sounds like a recall should be announced to replace or update the lower bracket.

Just my humble opinion.

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

The one time it happened to me was hitting a series of bad potholes in the road with my wife as passenger.  The last one I couldn't avoid and it hit hard. It slammed so far that I have a chip in the paint of the upper arm where the chrome trim from the fender hit it. 

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »

X2, lost mine on a hard bump from pothole

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »

OK folks  not sure how a pot hole affects the bags   the swingarm  moves  not the fender where the upper mounts for bags and the lower mount doesn't move either  it comes off the passenger peg mount ...take your bag off stand back  and look for yourself   better yet  pushed down on your bike  and you will see  the swingarm moves only not the bag mounts
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »

That's what I was thinking, Lever

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Blackhawk

• How do you clear your mind between meetings: wind in my face at 60mph and a rumble between my legs.

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertable
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »

With HD taking it off the Breakout, maybe it simply wasn't worth the hassle.  However, reading this post, I do check, at least twice, any time I take off with the bags on, that they are mounted correctly and pin showing. 

While I was going to post this picture for a different reason (text up top), I was looking at it and noticed I didn't have the bag on correctly (or if I did it moved).  This was before I was reading this thread, so I hope to NOT have a repeat.

Not sure HD will come out with a recall, but with the item no longer on new bikes, doubt there will be a mechanical change any time soon.  I will be sure not to bring the topic up at the bar, as I too think it is like religion or politics, everyone at least knows what the topic is now and choose their course to follow.

Still love the bike, and the fact that I can strip it down or put it all back together faster then tying my boots.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »

Yep, I agree! :) :)

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »

X3 on still Love the bike.  It looks like that is the one thing we can all agree on.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 22 queries.