Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Broke while sitting in Garage running  (Read 3382 times)

xbigallenx

• A day with out riding is like a day with out Air.
  • Junior CVO Member
  • The day I brought it home.
CVO Broke while sitting in Garage running
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »

I was having trouble with my heated seat. One of the wires had melted. So i decided to Run the bike and turn the seat on to see which heater was mess up. I unplug the one that was melted and isolated the wire so it wouldn't short out. I was working in the yard and checking on bike ever few min to see if  seat was getting warm. About the third time I check on bike I was going to twist the throttle to clear it up or just because i like to hear it. Well the throttle was hard to turn. I shut the bike off and the engine seem hot. now it was 40 deg's out side. I'm running screaming eagle oil. It was 1/2 qt low. I have a oil temp gauge dip stick it read 278. The bike would try to start back but wouldn't stay running.  It sounded like air was coming from the back of engine. don't no if it was heat letting off of not. I just road this bike last week with no problem.  It is a 2007 Ultra with Rinehart  true duels and power commander, everything else is stock.  Can some one help.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:27:37 PM by xbigallenx »
Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: CVO Broke while sitting in Garage running
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »

its air cooled - was it just sitting in a garage with no fan or anything?

even in traffic the manual says if you are stuck in one place too long to pull over and shut it off till you can move enough to cool the engine

278 is pretty hot

many police bikes have a fan that will kick on when they sit too long - i put one on my bike and after a couple mins of not moving it kicks on and blows air over the engine to prevent it from overheating.

to

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »

I'd check for a blown head gasket.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:06:26 AM »

???How long did it run setting still? regardless of air temp it needs to be moving to cool. Sounds like you overheated it......
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »

Sorry Man, I don't think in all fairness this is an HD problem,

It sounds to me like you abused the machine...   :beatdeadhorse:  Being air cooled, it has to be moving, you don't run it to death sitting still...  Sorry  :nixweiss:
Overheated, maybe blown head gasket, look for oil around the back of the cylinder???   

My 2 cents worth, and can only talk cheap cuz I am 10,000 miles away on a little Island  (Australia) ,
so You can't come over and smack me..   :lolk:

xbigallenx

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »

Ok so I wasn't thinking, today it started back up and engine sound fine didn't ride it or notice a blown head gasket. but throttle still stuck or tight. I think i might have melted something on the fuel system or cable. I wouldn't thought it run hot sitting still but I guess i was wrong. Well my daughter getting married this week maybe I have money after that to fix it. Poor man with expensive ride. 

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »

YOU didn't hurt it any, IMO.  Those dipsticks?  Dipsticks buy 'em.  Just kidding, Bro, but they only miss by about 20%!  They will fly out and wash down the bike on occasion too!   ;D

My '11 FLTRUSE shuts down a cylinder after 20 seconds at a light when it's 40 degrees!

Good Luck with that throttle.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

The 2007 models had an optional temperature management system that would shut down the rear cylinder at idle when the engine temperature (head temp, not oil temp) reached a certain point.  When it does that, the exhaust note will change dramatically, possibly similar to the "air coming from the back of the engine" that you mentioned.  It also wasn't totally uncommon for the system to not work quite as well as Harley intended, with stalling or hesitation when you first attempted to open the throttle.  I have no idea if your bike has had this system enabled or not, but a dealer can tell easily by hooking up to your ECM and checking the calibration number.

As for the throttle being hard to turn, that could be related to several things.  Overheating to the point of actually melting the sheath of the cables isn't likely unless the cable was lying directly on the head, but it is something to check.  You can also try adjusting the cables for maximum slack and then operating the throttle plate by hand after removing the air cleaner.  That will tell you if it's a cable or grip problem versus a throttle body problem.

In the future, if you need to let the bike run in the garage for more than a few minutes, I'd recommend setting up a large fan to blow air on the cylinders and heads.  Modern Harley engines will overheat rapidly without adequate air flow, even if the outside air temp is low.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »

Would not tell the dealer that story  ;)
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »

Would not tell the dealer that story

X2

Jay Scott

• Camping Trip with Brandy
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »

2011 CVO Ultra - (stock - 8K miles)

It only takes about 4 to 5 min of traffic for my back cylinder to kick off in 80-90 degree weather.

AND !!!!

It kicks out in 6 to 7 min of traffic in 40 degree weather.

Once it kicks out, it takes 10-15 min of 50 MPH riding to bring it back down.  (if I ride 3 miles and stop again it kicks out in seconds)

I understand ~ 275 degree is the approximate engine temp that causes this.

I know what to do - just haven't had the time ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our "North Georgia Toy Run"     http://www.knowpickens.com/photos/northgatoyrun11.asp
2011 CVO Ultra

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »

I was thinking they made a change in 08 where it would come out of the rear cyl shut down as soon as you hit the throttle. My 07 did not do this.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »

xbigallenx, like some of the other guys said don't tell the dealer your story. Let them figure it out. Regarding the rear cylinder shutting off during hot  weather, mine used to shut off regularly on a hot day (09SEUC), but after installed the fullsac stage 1 kit , 1.75 inch baffles, and highflow air filter kit with K&N filter it does not shut off as much. It still does on occassion, but it has to be really hot and then as soon as I hit the throttle it (the rear cylinder) comes back to life. Good luck with your situation. Let us know how it goes. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

xbigallenx

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »

I finally got to check the bike out. The Throttle sticking is the throttle cable I guess something melted inside. I remove the cable and it will move back and forth but you can feel the resistance. I operated the throttle on the throttle assembly by hand and it works good. I will replace it as soon as I can get a new cable.

xbigallenx

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

;D :pineapple: Yeah I put new cable on. ajusted and now on the Road again. Watch out Dragon here I come.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.