Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lessons learned on 103 buildup  (Read 4959 times)

SERK03

• Bigger is better
Lessons learned on 103 buildup
« on: July 03, 2004, 08:32:37 AM »

Here's a history of my 103 buildup which I thought might help out others with less cash to waste than I have spent.  I got one of the very first 03 SERKs in August 2002.  The Race Tuner kit came out that same month and I was the first person in or around my dealership to purchase it.  In addition, it came with no 103 maps and there was no Stage I module out for the 03 SERK.  No one there knew or wanted to know anything about it or the 103 motor at that point.  So first, I had to find people on the Net to help me with the EFI tuning concepts and then work with my dyno guy to tune the SERK and design a 103 map.  We changed to Wild Pig exhausts, a bigger than SE air filter and SE split tip spark plugs.    The end result was 103 HP and 114 ft lbs of torque.  I was extremely happy considering the limited amount of the investment.
    After a year, I decided that I needed more, so I installed an SE 258 cams with no head change.  End result after another $800.00---105 HP and 121 ft lbs, but I lost low end power which was noteable.  My tuner said that compression ratio was too low for the SE 258 cam.  In addition, the gas mileage dropped a few miles per gallon (about 41) and my tuner suggested upping the compression ratio and adding Rineharts.  the next step was to change out the SE performance heads, which have the same valves and porting as our stock 103 heads, but without the hemi chamber.  The tighter chamber ups the compression to 10.5 to 1.  That also required compression releases.  The bike felt like it had a lot of power, but due to work, I didn't get to the dyno for a month.  About that time, one of the baffles in the Wild Pig started rattling so I decided to install Rineharts.  With another $631 spent, I headed to the dyno to build a new map.  After two hours of dyno time, we finished up with 110 HP and 116 ft lbs of torque.  It makes less power at the bottom end than before the exhaust and head change and all gains in HP are above 5200.  Needless to say, I feel like a dumbass now and I have to say that other than the true dual effect of the Rineharts sound, I liked the sound of the Wild Pigs better.  This is not to criticize the Rinehars, but is just a pesonal opinion.  However, the dyno doesn't lie and I wouldn't reccomend purchasing them with the idea that you are going anywhere with a power increase.
   The lesson to be learned here is that we are driving heavy baggers and need the low end.  The stock cam does a great job providing that.  After spending a lot of money and taking a lot of advice, I gained 7 HP in a range that I never drive end, lost 5 ft lbs of torque and don't have as much low end as I did a year ago.  Ain't life grand??  Learn from my mistakes. [smiley=confused5.gif]

SERK03

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Lessons learned on 103 buildup
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 09:05:32 AM »

I have the Rineharts with the 257 cams.  Iam having problems with a low compression code. It occures usually in 5th gear under 3000 rpms when I punch it or go up a hill.  The dealer compensated by hose clamping a wire mesh over the front end of the baffles.  This worked untill the mess came off and hit a co-worker in the leg when I started the bike.  The code returned.  I tried tork cones...no help with the code.  I'm gonna try the 2" baffles to try and get more back pressure.  The bike runs great but the check engine light is annoying.  I have not dynoed the bike but it could use more low end.  I am too stuborned to admit that I should have gone to a good 2 into 1 system.   [smiley=confused.gif]
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 05:10:08 PM »

I sure am getting a lot of tips on my upcoming build.

I bought an 04 103" SE Engine only with about 2 miles on it, dealer went with the new JIMS/HD Engine.

I have it stripped, heads are going to Short Block Charlies to be cleaned up, nothing radical, thinking of going with the Andrews TW55G Gear Drive Cam (which is a .550 lift vs. .530 for the 253 HD Cam, however with the "Stroker Type Motor I think it will work OK). exhaust still undecided, have V&H 2:1 Prp Pipe HS, and set of the V&H Slip on Ovals, reading about True Dual Headers, pros & cons on an 103" same with the Pro Pipe, any thoughts out there.

Currently have an 03 Road Glide running 95", SE 251 and SE Ported & Polished Heads by Short Block Charlie, S&S Roller Rockers, Feuling Pump & Lifters, Stage II Map, yet to install HD Race Tuner, may save for the 103".

Has any one run the 103" with the SE 251 Cam, runs excellent in my 95" Buils.

The SE 257 & SE 258 are both .569 lift and a longer duration than the .579 lift of the SE 251.

Anyways appreciate any input thanks

geezerglide

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:31:44 PM »

SERK 103:
I'll share what I know about this process, but it's all opinion, and mine may or may not be worth anything to you. I've seen a number of 103's with SE air cleaners or Ness Big Suckers and Rinehart's tuned  here in town. All of the horsepower figures are about the same as yours ( 103 hp), but the torque figure sounds bogus to me. I just don't believe you can get 114 ft. lbs with 9-1 compression. It's unfortunate that you changed camshafts in the middle of the process. It would be interresting to gauge you seat of the pants feel after the change in heads and compression. Long story short... I think your cams have not enough lift and too much duration for your other components. My choice would be a Wood TW6HG.. 590 lift 240 duration... lots of torque low. Like I said... just opinion!!! [smiley=dunce2.gif]

SERK03

• Bigger is better
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 06:20:54 AM »

The bike was dynoed twice in two slightly different temperatures and produced 114 ft lbs.  My friend's bike with the same setup dynoed at about 112.  I agree with you about the cam.  So does my tuner.  I just saw a torque curve with the woods 6g and it made 120 ft lbs in a 95 inch setup.  It was the flatest widest torque curve I have ever seen.  There's always Round Three.

SERK03

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 07:07:59 PM »

I REALLY like the Wood's cams myself. I have the TW8G in an SERG with a 116 inch motor. This build is putting out 109 hp and 136 TQ with white bros. E series slip ons with 18 discs and an open end cap. Torque went up from 127 just by changing the pipes from thunder cones and re-dynoing the bike. I have over 10,000 miles on this build with no major problems. It still beats my buddie's lighter stripped road king with the new 120 HD/Jims motor.

I also have a 03 FB with a B engine. Build includes reworked stock heads, forged dome top pistons and the SAME Wood's TW8G cams. This bike dynoed out at 104/105 hp/tq. I beleive I could increase both hp and TQ on this build with a larger TB from HP inc. I used the stock TB and had it opened up slightly.

Both builds are EFI with the SERG being Magneti Marreli and the 03 being Delphi.
Both builds have VERY flat Torque curves with unbeivable low-end torque. Over 100 TQ @ 1800 rpm on the 116 and over 95 TQ on the 95 incher @ 2000 rpm.

The cams have a pretty short duration and only 0.590 lift. I think it is interesting that they worked so well in BOTH the 95 and 116.

Bob Woods KNOWS how to build TORQUE CAMS! [smiley=beerchug.gif]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 07:10:54 PM by garya1 »
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.