Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: GPS advice needed  (Read 1980 times)

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
Re: GPS advice needed
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »

You can turn the Volume Higher enough to blow your speakers up if you go by the book and when the GPS is talking just press the up on the AUDIO switch and it will take the volume as high as you will ever need it. I had this same thing happen to me until I read the owners manual on GPS page. I hope this will help you...
bobby

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

I did see on HD site that they have a conector set to go inside the fairing so the GPS prompts come thru the speakers. I think it said it would work on most baggers except a few SE models. All this is good helpful info. Think I'm gonna try the 660 from HD on my 09 SG....

jb

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

thanks guys.  A little background history.  I own the 2010 SESG and added the iPod and 660 GPS.  Initially mounted the GPS to the handle bar and ran that AUX wire to the radio.  Then I moved the GPS to the fairing mount and bought the internal wiring harness to have the voice prompts piped through the speakers.  The tech at the dealership was trying the make it work and then finally said that the SG cannot work with the GPS in that manner.  I was just defeated and called it a day.  Would like that capability but settled as is for now.  By the way, they gave me my refund on the harness but the parts guy was a bit put off.  I told him to lump it and that I wouldn't buy any parts from him and since have avoided him.  Its all about customer service if they want my money.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

philgrocks

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »

The standard wiring harnesses don't work with the Street Glide. That is the challenge.  Sadly the factory does not make the right harness and just says it is not supported.

Turns out that the Navigation Interface Module (often shortened to "NIM" in the postings) just needs a 6 wires.

If you look at this diagram http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.msg940314#msg940314

I did as this diagram suggests... I purchased the overlay harness and I cut the 275B connector that connects to the NIM off (leaving as much wire as I can) and connected the 6 wires to the existing harnesses.

Battery + & Ground were easy to find.  The CAN+ / CAN- need to be sliced into the existing wires on the back of the radio.  Then the Audio+/Audio- need pins into unused positions in the back of the radio (as per the instructions).  Since I did not have the pins I just cut those wires off from the overlay harness and used them.

The other hint is that I had a Garmin Zumo 660... Not the Harley Davidson version which is nearly identical "Road Tech Zumo 660".  It is painted differently, has HD dealer locations preloaded, but more importantly (and is critical for operation with the NIM) is a special signal that tells the NIM that audio is being spoken.  This little detail had me very confused, I had the wiring correct, but the NIM was not working... All because I had the wrong model Zumo.

If you have questions I would be happy to help.

pweber6

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »

Yeah, only the HD version of the zumo seems to work with the NIM.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.