Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Progressive 440 Shocks  (Read 28382 times)

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
Progressive 440 Shocks
« on: July 05, 2004, 07:41:41 AM »

Here's a report from my friend John who installed Progressive 440 shocks on his SEEG last week....

" Progressive 440 Report:

We were scheduled for a four day trip over the 4th holiday, but decided to pass since the weather was not real promising. The other couple suggested a one day trip to Dillards for lunch yesterday. Off we went.

Disclaimers. Driver; 212 lbs. Passenger; 175 lbs. SEEG, king tourpack; rain suits, light load, rain off and on during the day, more weight after the delicious, all you can eat, country cookin food at The Dillard House in Dillard, Georgia. Some curves, mostly sweeps in the roads. The shocks come in the soft mode. I cranked them up for the 2 up riding, but did not readjust them during the day.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being bad and 10 being great, I rate the stock air shocks a 3 for single riding and a 1 for two up riding for people our size and weight (the buckboard ride). I had no problem with the single riding for short distances, but do like long distance riding. One could argue that the wrong bike was purchased to start with for that kind of riding. It is a great argument, but the O/B color scheme and the 103 engine with all the crome, got my eye.

The 440's, after 360 miles yesterday, I rate as an 8. The ride, on the expressway and on the state highways was a 9. The bike gives with the road and provides a better, smoother ride than I had on the Road King. (of course it was lowered in the back too) The expansion breaks in the expressway at bridges still resulted in the "bottoming out" sensasion. The ride on all surfaces and contours, other than the expansion breaks was a 9. I specifically asked Cheryl how she rated the ride. This is written with her input. I suspect the ride with one up would be close to a 9.5.

So you think, I like the 440's? You are right. It is a pleasure to ride the SEEG now. In Harley Davidson's defense, the SEEG couldn't have been built with touring in mind. It is built to look at and to take "look at me" rides on. In that area, it needs no improvement.

Conclusion: Save your money, or just turn some loose. For the $411.00 on the 440's, it is well spent. Long term ride? We will see. Best wishes. "

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Progressive 440 Shocks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 12:08:17 PM »

Thanks for the info have been looking at these shocks for a while,  just hadn't heard anyone using them.  Bonus is you get away from having to check air pressure.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

bighd

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »

You're right the shocks are great.  I don't know if you bought the heavy duty but I would recommend it unless you weigh under 175 and always ride alone.  They are well worth the price and easy to install yourself.  I have never figured out why harley put those crappy air shocks on any bike they are a pain to have to check because they always lose pressure.
2004 FLHTCSE
Orange what else is there
Rinehart True Duals
Ness Big Sucker Intake
Race Map
Lot's of extra chrome
American Ironhorse Texas Chopper

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 11:07:51 AM »

This was the best $400 I've ever spent.  And shame on H-D for selling the SEEG with such crap as stock.  Yesterday, I installed the 11.5" "Heavy duty" model (stock is 12".  And without much adjustment... the City ride (potholes, etc) is 100% better.  Living in Chicago was making riding this bike tough.  My passenger (who was nearly done being a passenger because of the ride quality) is pleased.  And I can throw away my stupid air pressure guage!  No, it's not like my Ultra was... but it's not like it used to be either.  What a difference. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 11:09:50 AM »

Forgot to mention... a 20 minute complete installation.

starvin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 04:51:22 PM »

Can one of you guys tell me, do those progressive shocks raise the bike up. I like the bike being lower but my wife says it would be nice to have a litttle smoother ride.

Thanks
   Dave

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 05:34:16 PM »

The 440's come in different lengths ranging from 11.5" to 13.5". The stock SEEG shocks are 12", so if you want to keep the same height order the 12" version of the 440's. The bike will look the same, but ride much, much better.

starvin

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 07:02:31 PM »

thanks MoChrome

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 08:21:05 PM »

FYI... The best price I've found on the Progressive 440's is $411 (inlcuding UPS shipping) from krooners.com.  I've bought a number of things from Krooners during the past couple of years and have always been pleased with thier prices and serrvice.

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 09:28:06 AM »

I use stock length 440 progressives on my V-rod and love them. However, IMHO the 416 air shocks
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 09:29:24 AM by garya1 »
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 11:26:37 AM »

You would rather deal with the air shocks, instead of regulars?  I'm not sure where I stand on these, but it seems like everyone except you enjoys getting rid of the air problem.  Just curious.  I like to look at all options before I buy.

Also, in response to the comments about these bikes not being made to tour...I disagree wholeheartedly.  I think that this will be my ultimate touring bike.  The handling is sufficient, and I think better than my Road King was.  I love the stereo, and the fairing.  Lowers definitely help also.  Tour pack?  Well...it looks OK with it, and is pretty functional for over the road.  I can't wait to hit the highway in a couple weeks.  Yes, I have had to change a few things, but I am really looking forward to the 3700 mile trip coming up.  Yes, I will be using a Mustang seat for the trip, but I can't believe how I love riding this all day long.

Anyone else?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 12:59:30 PM »

Doc, yeah, I really appreciated the info. that MoChrome relayed from his friend on the 440's, but I also disagreed with the "bought the wrong bike for touring" comments.  I would much rather take off cross-country on this bike than my '02 EG Classic.  This bike's power advantage over the stock TC88 in the '02 is reason enough, plus the lowers and more powerful radio/CD player are advantages as well.  Granted, the stock seat leaves a lot to be desired (at least for the passenger) and tour-paks are pretty much a necessity for touring, but once you take care of those things, these babies are about as sweet as it gets, in my opinion.

As far as the shocks, my wife and I acutally prefer the way this bike rides to the '02.  I think the lowered (i.e., stiffer) suspension gives the bike more of a sporting feel and results in better handling in the twisties.  This bike also does not "pogo" over bumps like the '02 did which she likes and I do, too.

That being said, I will probably do the 440's this winter.  I'm always looking for something new to try and these shocks are getting some good reviews.  Hey, if I can make it even better than it already is, why not? [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

starvin

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 03:58:05 PM »

I agree with you guys that these bikes are great for touring, due to a change in mine and my wifes work schedules however the longest single trip so far has been 450 miles in an afternoon and the next morning. That will change soon though with sturgis coming up [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] I enjoy the sport feel to the ride but my wife has said that the bumps are a little jarring. She's over the back wheel so maybe she feels it more. I will wait until this winter to change the shocks also I'm about tapped out on the budjet for the bike mods. That will give me more time to reserch either air or springs. Anyway thanks for the info.

Johnnabal

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 07:25:22 PM »

Just got home from 10 day 2,500 mile trip from Buffalo To New york City via Quebec & Nova Scotia. The long way. The seat sucks and this bike ain't no touring bike. My FLTRSEI was. First thing I did was dump the seat for my old road king seat. Next it will be, do the shock change. I'll say it again, my road glide was a touring bike and this bike is a lot better looking thou. We will get this thing to be a touring bike hopefully with the shock change

Johnnabal

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 07:26:42 PM »

more , sorry for the size.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.