Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Can I replace stock 5 speed with a six speed  (Read 24778 times)

04cvodan

• CVO1: 04 SEEG "Big Blue"
Can I replace stock 5 speed with a six speed
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

I'm about to find out from HD if and how much it will cost me to replace my stock 5 speed trans on my 2004 seeg. I was wondering if i can replace with a 6 speed? any info this post has will help. Iv had my seeg for about a year and LOVE my bike and CVOHARLEY.com thanks for any input
Two Down, Knuckles Up, Lets Ride.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Can I replace stock 5 speed with a six speed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »

I'm about to find out from HD if and how much it will cost me to replace my stock 5 speed trans on my 2004 seeg. I was wondering if i can replace with a 6 speed? any info this post has will help. Iv had my seeg for about a year and LOVE my bike and CVOHARLEY.com thanks for any input

There are complete six speed transmissions you can buy, and there are six speed gearsets you can buy and install in your stock transmission case.  If your current trans case is good, the gearset will be less expensive.  You aren't limited to what Harley sells; companies like Baker offer excellent alternatives.

Why are you replacing the trans, mechanical failure or you just want another gear ratio?

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:42:39 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:39:29 PM »

Did it on mine a couple of years ago.  Harley makes a gear set that works with your existing case, but does require some machining.  It's going to be about a $2,000 investment and you won't get a dime for it on trade, but if you don't mind that, the bike does like the extra gear on the highway, particularly if you have cams or other mods.

04cvodan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »

Warranty Company saying neglect, so now HD saying 3400 out of the box just looking at my options. Can i just pull and replace or do i have to "open her up"?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »

Warranty Company saying neglect, so now HD saying 3400 out of the box just looking at my options. Can i just pull and replace or do i have to "open her up"?

Either way will work as long as the original case is OK.  The complete trans is $2800 MSRP from Harley, the gearset is $2100 MSRP.  Of course the labor charges will be higher for the gearset versus the complete trans.  Click on the attachment in my first post to blow it up; that is from the current SE catalog.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »

I put the Baker DD6 gear set in my 04.  Best thing I ever did for it.   It is a smooth shifting unit and neutral is very easy to find. No grinding and goes in pretty easily as long as you have the correct tools. If not have a good mechanic do the install.  I really love mine.  One of the main reasons I am still hanging onto the bike.  I do  70 at 2600 and 80 at 3000.  If I were to do it again, I would go with the Baker.  :2vrolijk_21:

04cvodan

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »

Which Bakers did you use and did you do the gear set or the whole trans?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »

I got the Baker DD6 installed in my 2006 SEUC this past spring and it's the best mod I've done, by far!  The trip to Sturgis this year was so much more relaxed.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »

Neglect? What happened?

04cvodan

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »

First inspection they say no oil in trans, just had service by a "buddy" a little over 5000 miles ago. I know a little long but damn. I just had $3500 worth of warrenty work done so HD saying they don't think they will pay for that but they will "fight for me" ya right. anyway thinking Baker dd6 on Ebay they say $2500 and install is free but they are 3 hours away in Daytona. I could allways do a trip to Daytona.

04cvodan

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »

I just replaced the gear set only.  It comesvwith a nice chrome trap door and says dd6 on it  comes as a kit with all you need. It's really a great unit. You can call them in Michigan and talk to them. They can answer any questions you might have.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »

I just replaced the gear set only.  It comesvwith a nice chrome trap door and says dd6 on it  comes as a kit with all you need. It's really a great unit. You can call them in Michigan and talk to them. They can answer any questions you might have.
x2.  Also, remember you will need the speedo calibration unit 95E-56, and I'd also opt for the upgraded High Torque bearing and spacer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:55 AM »

First inspection they say no oil in trans, just had service by a "buddy" a little over 5000 miles ago. I know a little long but damn. I just had $3500 worth of warrenty work done so HD saying they don't think they will pay for that but they will "fight for me" ya right. anyway thinking Baker dd6 on Ebay they say $2500 and install is free but they are 3 hours away in Daytona. I could allways do a trip to Daytona.

So the tranny ground away on itself for several thousand miles without lube?  That it lasted what would seem an extended amount of time doesn't surprise me really.  How long did it run before you began to hear anything?

Was the "buddy" an actual shop or just a guy you know attempting to help out?  If the former he should be on the hook for the repair.  Of course knowing that and actually getting it are two different things.  If the servicer was truly just a buddy you asked to work on the bike.... well.....  that's one of the hazards we face when we asked buddies to do us a favor.

Sorry for the failure.  That's a big one.  As was mentioned above you've got several options if your tranny case survived in good order.  It needs a very thorough inspection though.  I had a transmission gear set fail in my 05 a few years ago.  Around three years later started getting a leak through the case from a minute crack in the case that didn't start causing a problem until an adjacent oil pan bolt was disturbed. 

Saving some coin with just a gear set change can be worthwhile.  But the price difference between a gear set and  a complete transmission (while not small) isn't so great that it justifies taking the risk of case related problems later if there's any doubt whatsoever.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »

I guess my question is, wasn't there any drips on the garage floor?  This gear lube just doesn't evaporate?  Unless the knuckhead never put anything in after draining the old stuff?  I'd definitely rope this turkey in for some answers!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.