Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front motor mount  (Read 1190 times)

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
Front motor mount
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:54:18 AM »

My front motor mount need replacing....the big flat washer under the nut at the bottom would touch the frame. Bought the new updated mount and installed it.
I then noticed some vibrations at different parts on the rpm range that werent there when original mount was still good.  i chalked it up to the new mount being harder material.
wasnt happy.. So I actually looked in the service manual...Duh!..for the torque specs. on the mount through bolt...I had just made it TIGHT.
Well..its only 15-20 ftlbs...so I losened it along with the two mount to frame bolts...rocked the bike in gear to let it self center, then tightened everything to spec..
No more wierd vibrations...thought to pass this along in case others have replaced theirs and are not happy.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re:  Front motor mount
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:02:09 AM »

Great tip.......thanks Syclone!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:31:58 AM »

My front motor mount need replacing....the big flat washer under the nut at the bottom would touch the frame. Bought the new updated mount and installed it.
I then noticed some vibrations at different parts on the rpm range that werent there when original mount was still good.  i chalked it up to the new mount being harder material.
wasnt happy.. So I actually looked in the service manual...Duh!..for the torque specs. on the mount through bolt...I had just made it TIGHT.
Well..its only 15-20 ftlbs...so I losened it along with the two mount to frame bolts...rocked the bike in gear to let it self center, then tightened everything to spec..
No more wierd vibrations...thought to pass this along in case others have replaced theirs and are not happy.

Very good info. When you tighten up the bolts it actually helps transfer the vibration straight to the frame. The rubber in the motor mount when compressed looses it's ability to absorb shock!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 01:03:52 AM »

How funny - my friend was just having this issue - will apply your advice and see if we fix the problem!  8-)
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.