Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "old style" headers on new street glide?  (Read 2241 times)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

"old style" headers on new street glide?
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »

I haven't read anything on this. Can the true dual headers that we used before the x pipe came onto the scene be used on the newer bikes? Just curious about my  options.
Thanks
RETIRED! :fireman:

skboy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Street Glide
Re: "old style" headers on new street glide?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

I think there are models of exhaust out their that tailor to your question. How ever as a performance precaution its heavily advised to stay away from such a setup. X pipes preform better with the best being a 2 into 1 setup. But then your getting into "the look" factor with a 2 into 1. With stretched bags you gotta have a "dummy" muffler on the left side to fill in the hole etc.   
Some people go to church on sundays, I ride motorcycles.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:07:47 AM »

I haven't read anything on this. Can the true dual headers that we used before the x pipe came onto the scene be used on the newer bikes? Just curious about my  options.
Thanks

Almost all of the major manufactures of exhuast systems offer up their version of true dual head pipes.  As mentioned, there is a slight performance loss, but most people that get true duals do it for the looks knowing that they aren't the optimum setup for an exhaust. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »

Thanks

Which ones??
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »

Which ones??
 :nixweiss:
Vance and Hines, Bassani, Rinehart, Klock Werks, just to name a few.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »

I reckon he's mainly interested in the non-cross-under versions.  I'd think the stupid plastic heat shields would have to be forfeit, if you still have them installed, using the "old style" dual headers.  I looked at a few manufacturers' sites and so far only Bub shows the old routing on the newer chassis. 

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_Touring_Models.cfm?pa=detail&zsb=0&pn=BUB%20Stepped%202%22%20True%20Dual

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »

I reckon he's mainly interested in the non-cross-under versions.  I'd think the stupid plastic heat shields would have to be forfeit, if you still have them installed, using the "old style" dual headers.  I looked at a few manufacturers' sites and so far only Bub shows the old routing on the newer chassis. 

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_Touring_Models.cfm?pa=detail&zsb=0&pn=BUB%20Stepped%202%22%20True%20Dual
Thats what I am asking. So there is a plastic piece where the rear pipe would exit to the left? I havent got the bike yet and no dealer has one on the floor.
Thanks

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »

Judging by the pictures at http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448770865&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309178693&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309178693&locale=en_US&bmUID=1327162012990&bmLocale=en_US there'd be room for modification of the left "air deflector" if one was inclined to keep them installed.  I've got two sets on the shelf which came off stock bikes.  The only thing I could really say they ever did was hold heat around the rear cylinder, resulting in higher surface temps indicated with a spot meter.

Didn't the left "body" sidecover used to have a relief for the exhaust plumbing?  They sure don't now and without one I'd think the pipe would need to protrude a little excessively on the left, making things maybe a little close for the passenger's lower leg parts when using the "old" style rear cylinder pipe routing.

The newer exhaust routing really ain't that bad, but I'd probably not go with "true duals" unless there was some way to get the rear pipe to be the one to cross under.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »

Judging by the pictures at http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448770865&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309178693&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309178693&locale=en_US&bmUID=1327162012990&bmLocale=en_US there'd be room for modification of the left "air deflector" if one was inclined to keep them installed.  I've got two sets on the shelf which came off stock bikes.  The only thing I could really say they ever did was hold heat around the rear cylinder, resulting in higher surface temps indicated with a spot meter.

Didn't the left "body" sidecover used to have a relief for the exhaust plumbing?  They sure don't now and without one I'd think the pipe would need to protrude a little excessively on the left, making things maybe a little close for the passenger's lower leg parts when using the "old" style rear cylinder pipe routing.

The newer exhaust routing really ain't that bad, but I'd probably not go with "true duals" unless there was some way to get the rear pipe to be the one to cross under.
I have a set that is practically new (old style) and was thinking about keeping them for use on a street glide. I guess I might as well get rid of them.
Thanks to all for the replies!

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »

So are you contemplating removing them from a bike you're trading for the new one?

If you can handily retain them until you take delivery of the new bike, and you like them, why not keep them and see how they fit on the new bike before you decide to get rid of them?  Of course, you'd need to have some sort of custom calibration installed in the ECM to accommodate the pipes, but I'd recommend doing that even for just the stock bike.  Get a TTS tuning kit and v-tune the bike, no matter what you do/don't do to it otherwise.

I don't know how your pipes or these Bubs look on the older chassis, but the bike in the picture is definitely one of the new models and the pipes are shown to fit '95-'12.  Yours might fit fine on the new bike.  The "air deflectors" are held on with 2 × 1/4" hex-head bolts each and only take moments to remove or install.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.