Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener Haunted  (Read 794 times)

hdhiwayman

• Junior CVO Member
  • The nut between the handle bars and the saddle
Garage Door Opener Haunted
« on: July 09, 2006, 11:37:35 PM »

I think my garage door opener may be haunted. This has happened twice about 2 months apart.
Here are the facts as I remember them. Starting off on a Sat. morn take bike to car wash with the opener working fine when I left the house. Go for ride that extends late into the evening and switching from low beam to high beam several times on return trip. Upon returning home the opener does not work. So I open the door with a different opener and park bike inside and close the door. About 15 mins. go by and I get a phone call from sister in-law asking if I know that my garage door is open? About 30 mins. later my son comes home and and says Dad why is the garage door open? To make a LONG story short the door opened 2 more times that evening on its own. The next day I go to the bike and try the opener.... dosen't work. :-/ So I re-teach the opener and it works fine. Then about 2 months later it happens again the only difference is my wife noticed the garage open door and stayed awake until 1:00 AM  until the door stopped opening (4 more times). Again the opener was not working at the time. I had to re-teach it again to get it to work. I thought that maybe I was getting something wet at the car wash, but I wash this bike every week sometimes twice. Just wondering if any one else has had mysterious door openings?
2006 SE Autum Haze
Freedom Power package
A little bling bling
2002 Road King
Stage 2: Andrews cams w/Rineharts true duals and DFO
Too much to list
Yes I am a chromeaholic

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Garage Door Opener Haunted
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:50 AM »

Given the behavior described I'd more likely doubt the receiver rather than the transmitter as the culprit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Garage Door Opener Haunted
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:53:38 AM »

hdhighwayman,

How do you have your receiver wired to the door opener, at the power head or at the wall switch?  The reason I ask is that I had a similar "haunted opener" experience with my Genie opener prior to adding the H-D system to the mix.  The door would just open on it's own at various times, and at first my wife and I thought we were getting senile and forgetting to close the door.  Then we actually heard the door operate while standing in the laundry room, opened the door to the garage, and saw it operating on its' own.  To make a long story short, I traced the problem to a defective switch in the wall control which would occasionally short and trigger the opener.  Replaced the wall control, and the ghost was exorcised.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.