Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: premium oil cooler  (Read 1389 times)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
premium oil cooler
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »

I am new to the site, and have had a couple of posts, but today I seemed to have had a major bike meltdown!  I got the bike 6/2/2006, riding today ( just turned 475 miles) when oil pressure gauge went to zero, and trail of oil everywhere under and behind bike. Turned bike off check oil level ( have fancy LED temp/level gauge) and said oil level OK. Oil plug in drain pan. Looked more forward to left front of oil cooler has obvious large leak. Long and short is, has anyone had or seen an oil cooler or lines malfunction? ( Worst part was sounded like front cylinder clanged and probably got fried!!!!) Any help would be greatly appreciated when I go to do battle with dealer and motor company on a bike that is only weeks old!!!!! (Also first EFI, have had carb softails since early 90's)  John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: premium oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »

Welcome and sorry to hear of your problem.  Both oil cooler lines attach to the cooler on the LH side and go to the oil filter base.  I don't recall anyone having this problem.  Is the filter tight?  The area would have to be cleaned off, top off with oil, and run to find the exact source of the problem.  Look at the cooler fins and make sure a stone hasn't damaged the cooler fins/tubes.  It could be the cooler, hoses/clamps, oil filter, or oil filter base.  The dealer should take care of you.  Hopefully no engine damage was done.  Let us know what the dealer finds and how it works out.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 11:48:03 PM »

I had an oil line from the oil cooler rupture on my Haze at about 1400 miles. I had just come off the interstate and stopped at a light then I saw the oil pressure drop,the started to clatter some and I looked down to see the oil coming from under the cooler area.
I had to drive about 500 yards to get out of traffic then shut down immediately,then the oil really flowed.(Left quite a puddle on the road)
I had it towed to the dealer where I bought the bike and the checked it over and replaced an oil line.They test drove it and inspected it and said there was no damage I had shut it down in time and it was cooler weather too.
Good luck otophile!

twincam

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 07:59:36 PM »

I had a leak in the same area, was not realy bad. the stealer fixed it with oil filter mount kit #26013-03 hope your bikes ok

CUSEiHad2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:25:41 AM »

Otophile:
Bad news Bro...I was cruisin' the other day on the CVO doing about 35-40 MPH and was passing a junker car and thought to myself, "Man that chick needs some oil in that old clunker !! Those valves are clattering to beat hell!"  Well, come to find out it was MY CVO!! I looked at the oil P gauge and she was dead "0" I remembered reading your post, so i rode on about 300 yards to get off the highway, shut her down and the oil was flowin' like a river out from the PREMIUM Oil cooler.  I looked at the hoses and didnt see any probs, but who knows?  So, I called the squeeler, and they towed her back to the Shop.  still no word on the prob, but I will let you know.  How did your your problem in this area work out? I thought to myself, "WTF? this bike only has 347 miles on it, never been over 3000RPM, and she is pukin' SYN 3 all over the road like a drunken high schooler...I tried not to get pissed, but couldn't help myself.

Later, BK :'(

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »

sorry about your bike too! it turned out to be the return line on oil cooler. left for dealer to check out engine , report that no damage! hope yours comes out ok
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »

Looks like the numbers are starting to grow on this oil cooler problem. I came home from a ride on Sat. and parked the bike in the garage, went out an hour later and oil was all over the floor. Best I can tell, it's coming from one of the lines from the oil filter to the oil cooler. Called the dealer that afternoon to report the problem. I'm supposed to take it in Wed. We'll see what they find.
 The rest of you guys need to keep a close eye on your oil cooler lines.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Hair of the Dog

funseeker57

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 10:18:43 PM »

I've got 4000 miles on my 06 FLHTCUSE.  This last weekend I was on a ride in Tacoma WA. when oil started spraying out from the oil cooler-oil filter area. I had the local dealer trailer me in.  I hope no permanent damage was done, but I am waiting for word from the dealer to find out what happened.  The motor was too hot to touch, and I just had it trailered in.  I understand your guys feeling.  Brand new bike and now oil is spraying around and the motor is in question.  I hope to get word this week.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 11:06:41 PM »

Spoke with a guy with a 06 FLHTCUSE just like mine in Billings at the National HOG rally and he blew a line on his oil cooler doing about 70. Crankcase was empty by the time he got it pulled over. Said he got the line replaced by the local dealer. Bike sounded OK. Wonder if this is another common problem with this model?
BTW, got my recall for the ignition switch on Saturday.

CUSEiHad2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:07:28 AM »

Bros:

Is it just me or has this "oil cooler blowing" problem just been up-graded to Epidemic?

Thank God we have them under warranty.  My dealer said he would have to "rip it apart" to find out what the actual cause was, I said no ripping please and he then said well, it should be covered under the warranty, and I replied I would hope so with only 347 miles on her!

Anyways, I have decided to go Hawg-WILD....errr wired to ease my frustrations---in the mean time I will ride my '01 Ride On Bro's!!

Hey we need to start a STURGIS Roll-Call so we can all meet up and drink a few bevs!!

I Be there!! Hopefully on my new baby, but if not I will take the Night train...CUSEiHAD2 out

funseeker57

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 11:54:02 PM »

I called the dealer in Tacoma today about my scoot.  Sure enough the problem was an oil cooler line.  They had to call around a bit but they found new lines in a oil cooler kit at the down town Seattle shop.  I can pick my bike up tomorrow after work.  What kind of lines can we put on the oil cooler to make sure this never happens again?  I don't mind the occasional glitch in a new bike, like the ignition switch, but this is serious.  I really don't want to blow all the oil out of my motor onto my back tire when I am putting demands on traction.  

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 01:16:14 AM »

Better ones than come on it!!  There's a whole seperate thread on this subject...

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152396229

It shows one place for a potential problem.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.