Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roland Sands Clarity Derby & Timing Covers - pic & info  (Read 4745 times)

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Roland Sands Clarity Derby & Timing Covers - pic & info
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

Wasn't really convinced I needed to start a thread for just the derby cover, but after finding out some info on the timing cover today I'd thought I would make a thread & hopefully save someone $400 if possible....

Below you will find a pic of the chrome clarity cover I just installed on my '11 CVO Street Glide. It's been in the shop getting the motor built up to a 124. I made my own inserts for the heads & wanted to get the 110 off the derby cover & the clarity cover is the choice that I made. It fits over the VP clutch with no problems.

Now, the info I hope may save someone some money...

In talking to Roland Sands tech this afternoon, I came to find out that they do not recommend their clarity timing covers for motorcycles with the exhaust running between the floorboard/pegs and the timing cover. I specifically asked about my street glide and a D&D exhaust. I was told they weren't really designed for touring bikes - this is when they told me not for exhausts running between floorboards & cover. They said they had a touring bike at their shop with a Vance & Hines exhaust (didn't ask what specific model) and there was hardly any clearance between the exhaust & their clarity cover when installed. They didn't specifically tell me no, it wouldn't work, but was very concerned about the close tolerances & possible heat from the exhaust melting the clear window on their cover. Any exhaust that was up high above the cover should be fine they said.

I was also told they may possibly be working on a new design for touring bikes / bikes with the lower front pipes.

Just a little worried for others who might just order the cover thinking it will work with no problems, which I almost did! The dealer & I both called today & were told the same thing. I'm just wondering why RSD doesn't have a disclaimer up on their website yet that tells people there may be fitment issues on touring bikes?

I would hate to be the one who spent $400 on a cover only to have it not fit or melt after a period of time....

Anyway, the derby cover is pretty neat, in my opinion..
2011 CVO Streetglide, 124" Axtell, D&D exhaust, T-Man Cams, Baisley heads, 30T pulley & TTS tuner, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Alpine w/Hawg-Wired & Focals

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

Re: Roland Sands Clarity Derby & Timing Covers - pic & info
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »

second picture...sorry, the pictures are a little fuzzy...
2011 CVO Streetglide, 124" Axtell, D&D exhaust, T-Man Cams, Baisley heads, 30T pulley & TTS tuner, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Alpine w/Hawg-Wired & Focals

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »

That's pretty cool! I have a VPC, too... those things are awesome! It would look pretty TRICK to be able to watch it spin in there!

Can you share some of what you did to build your engine to up 124"? I'm thinking of doing something to mine... but don't know what yet. Thanks!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »

Can you share some of what you did to build your engine to up 124"? I'm thinking of doing something to mine... but don't know what yet. Thanks!
[/quote]

Well, if you look at my sig you'll see where I was at. I've been in the motor several times, should have just gone big the first time around & saved some money, but it was a learning experience.
We went with Axtell cylinders - this was the first decision go 117" or 124", the only difference here was the stroke. I told my builder to go with what he felt comfortable with & he went ahead with the longer stroke. Had to send the heads back to Baisley a second time to work with the 124". Put in a new crank after having Dark Horse do their thing, plug & weld. Axtell bored the cases & timken bearing. I already had the 58mm throttle body, put in screamin eagle oil pump, cam plate & changed to T-Man 662 gear drive cams. Diamond cut the heads & cylinders, painted the cylinders with Harley's granite paint, we didn't powdercoat. Also, painted my air cleaner backing plate - I've had the big 325 Woods air cleaner set-up, they use a screamin eagle back plate & I had been running it the way it came, just plain cast. I believe Harley is the only place to get an actual "58mm" backing plate, either the one I've got or the heavy breather & since we can't use the heavy breather with our lowers I went with the Woods set-up. There are some that are more attractive, but I didn't want to restrict the air coming in. Oh, we put in the VP clutch, had been running stock with all the previous work with no problems. Had to upgrade my D&D from fat cat to boarzilla also.
I think the most bang for the buck was the 30T conversion, along with pipe & cams. It had been running real good, you can spend a lot of money chasing numbers I've found out, thought I was done, but I guess I was wrong! :huepfenlol2:
I hope to get my bike back this weekend if the pipe shows up, with all the warm weather here in Iowa it has been kind of depressing not having the bike around...

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

Well, if you look at my sig you'll see where I was at. I've been in the motor several times, should have just gone big the first time around & saved some money, but it was a learning experience.
We went with Axtell cylinders - this was the first decision go 117" or 124", the only difference here was the stroke. I told my builder to go with what he felt comfortable with & he went ahead with the longer stroke. Had to send the heads back to Baisley a second time to work with the 124". Put in a new crank after having Dark Horse do their thing, plug & weld. Axtell bored the cases & timken bearing. I already had the 58mm throttle body, put in screamin eagle oil pump, cam plate & changed to T-Man 662 gear drive cams. Diamond cut the heads & cylinders, painted the cylinders with Harley's granite paint, we didn't powdercoat. Also, painted my air cleaner backing plate - I've had the big 325 Woods air cleaner set-up, they use a screamin eagle back plate & I had been running it the way it came, just plain cast. I believe Harley is the only place to get an actual "58mm" backing plate, either the one I've got or the heavy breather & since we can't use the heavy breather with our lowers I went with the Woods set-up. There are some that are more attractive, but I didn't want to restrict the air coming in. Oh, we put in the VP clutch, had been running stock with all the previous work with no problems. Had to upgrade my D&D from fat cat to boarzilla also.
I think the most bang for the buck was the 30T conversion, along with pipe & cams. It had been running real good, you can spend a lot of money chasing numbers I've found out, thought I was done, but I guess I was wrong! :huepfenlol2:
I hope to get my bike back this weekend if the pipe shows up, with all the warm weather here in Iowa it has been kind of depressing not having the bike around...

Thanks a lot for the info. I am thinking I will do the 30T pulley and belt next, and see how that improves the acceleration. I don't really want to do more than I have to, to get the bike's performance where I am fully satisfied.

What pulley did you use, and what belt? I am thinking the H-D Tri Glide pulley (less $ than Andrews), and the Gates 139T belt.

You're right - chasing HP can be a VERY expensive proposition! Maybe I'll bump the compression and get the heads done... but I don't think I want to go whole hog like you have. If I decide to spend truly big bucks, I'll likely just put in a 120R and be done with it. 

BTW - I am LOVIN' this Corbin seat! Fits me like a glove! :2vrolijk_21:

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »

Thanks a lot for the info. I am thinking I will do the 30T pulley and belt next, and see how that improves the acceleration. I don't really want to do more than I have to, to get the bike's performance where I am fully satisfied.

What pulley did you use, and what belt? I am thinking the H-D Tri Glide pulley (less $ than Andrews), and the Gates 139T belt.

You're right - chasing HP can be a VERY expensive proposition! Maybe I'll bump the compression and get the heads done... but I don't think I want to go whole hog like you have. If I decide to spend truly big bucks, I'll likely just put in a 120R and be done with it. 

BTW - I am LOVIN' this Corbin seat! Fits me like a glove! :2vrolijk_21:

Glad the seat is working, I'm really liking my C&C that I got, so it worked for both of us.
I went with the Andrews pulley, mainly because I think the trike pulley was on backorder & I got my belt through drag specialties, I've got the Falcon, I believe the one everyone is having problems with. I've got somewhere over 3000 miles on my belt. We will see what happens when we open this new motor up. Mechanic says shouldn't have a problem, need to keep it tight, not let it get loose.
If I was to do it over, I would possibly just mod the swingarm & keep the stock belt, but I don't know. Love the mod tho...
If you do your heads, bump the compression & I would say throw some cams in there while tore apart & you will love it!
All the work I did is kind of a blur looking back, changed cams twice, throttle bodies, but it ran awesome!
I ran my brother-in-law who has the exact same bike, bone stock, except he has vance & hines head pipe with rhinehart mufflers, ran him after mild head work from baisley, woods 7 cams & the D&D exhaust and I just barely pulled him. Did the 30T and then could moderately walk away from him.
Sorry to go on & on - you'd probably be satisfied with cams & 30T and a good tune, after that it gets pretty expensive to gain very little, that's what I've learned...
But now....got the call today the exhaust came it & he was heat cycling the motor tonight, so there is life back in my bike once again...I can't wait to get it back & get somewhere warm & away from the salty roads to see what I've got now!

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »

Glad the seat is working, I'm really liking my C&C that I got, so it worked for both of us.
I went with the Andrews pulley, mainly because I think the trike pulley was on backorder & I got my belt through drag specialties, I've got the Falcon, I believe the one everyone is having problems with. I've got somewhere over 3000 miles on my belt. We will see what happens when we open this new motor up. Mechanic says shouldn't have a problem, need to keep it tight, not let it get loose.
If I was to do it over, I would possibly just mod the swingarm & keep the stock belt, but I don't know. Love the mod tho...
If you do your heads, bump the compression & I would say throw some cams in there while tore apart & you will love it!
All the work I did is kind of a blur looking back, changed cams twice, throttle bodies, but it ran awesome!
I ran my brother-in-law who has the exact same bike, bone stock, except he has vance & hines head pipe with rhinehart mufflers, ran him after mild head work from baisley, woods 7 cams & the D&D exhaust and I just barely pulled him. Did the 30T and then could moderately walk away from him.
Sorry to go on & on - you'd probably be satisfied with cams & 30T and a good tune, after that it gets pretty expensive to gain very little, that's what I've learned...
But now....got the call today the exhaust came it & he was heat cycling the motor tonight, so there is life back in my bike once again...I can't wait to get it back & get somewhere warm & away from the salty roads to see what I've got now!

Keep us updated on how she runs when you get her back!

I run the equipment in my sig, and i really like the setup. The bike was TTS tuned my Mr. Wizard, and the tune is excellent. I just want even more acceleration... so I'm thinking the Andrews 30T pulley with the Gates 139T belt will work fine for me. Probably get some headwork done eventually, put in the Cometic .030 gaskets, and call it a day. Maybe install a Heavy breather, angled down, too. I don't want to spend half my retirement on making this bike a street scorcher... I just want to be able to easily smoke everyone in my riding group! I won't run against a BUILT bike... my male ego is far too fragile for that!

The Wizard's Tune

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »

Yeah, I guess it might help if I read your sig, whoops, see you already have been in the motor, I guess your picture distracts me from anything underneath it!
I don't think you will be disappointed with the 30t & I don't see any reason not to use the harley pulley if they are readily available to save some cash...

HDRiderrr

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »

Wasn't really convinced I needed to start a thread for just the derby cover, but after finding out some info on the timing cover today I'd thought I would make a thread & hopefully save someone $400 if possible....

Below you will find a pic of the chrome clarity cover I just installed on my '11 CVO Street Glide. It's been in the shop getting the motor built up to a 124. I made my own inserts for the heads & wanted to get the 110 off the derby cover & the clarity cover is the choice that I made. It fits over the VP clutch with no problems.

Now, the info I hope may save someone some money...

In talking to Roland Sands tech this afternoon, I came to find out that they do not recommend their clarity timing covers for motorcycles with the exhaust running between the floorboard/pegs and the timing cover. I specifically asked about my street glide and a D&D exhaust. I was told they weren't really designed for touring bikes - this is when they told me not for exhausts running between floorboards & cover. They said they had a touring bike at their shop with a Vance & Hines exhaust (didn't ask what specific model) and there was hardly any clearance between the exhaust & their clarity cover when installed. They didn't specifically tell me no, it wouldn't work, but was very concerned about the close tolerances & possible heat from the exhaust melting the clear window on their cover. Any exhaust that was up high above the cover should be fine they said.

I was also told they may possibly be working on a new design for touring bikes / bikes with the lower front pipes.

Just a little worried for others who might just order the cover thinking it will work with no problems, which I almost did! The dealer & I both called today & were told the same thing. I'm just wondering why RSD doesn't have a disclaimer up on their website yet that tells people there may be fitment issues on touring bikes?

I would hate to be the one who spent $400 on a cover only to have it not fit or melt after a period of time....

Anyway, the derby cover is pretty neat, in my opinion..

RSD is developing a fix for the issue, they will be releasing a FL specific Clarity Cam Cover very soon.  Also, I saw today that the RSD website has been updated to caution us about using the Clarity Cam cover on FL's with tight clearance issues.

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »

RSD is developing a fix for the issue, they will be releasing a FL specific Clarity Cam Cover very soon.  Also, I saw today that the RSD website has been updated to caution us about using the Clarity Cam cover on FL's with tight clearance issues.

That good, glad to see they posted that...have to wait for the cam cover a while longer I guess...

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 22 queries.