Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: '10 CVO Tequila Sunrise paint help  (Read 8207 times)

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
'10 CVO Tequila Sunrise paint help
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:33:38 AM »

I'm trying to find out any info I can about color matching this paint. I'm trying to get speaker lids painted and the dealer by me was saying that it will be hard to find a painter to properly match. I know that this color is different than the color of the same name on the '12 bikes, but is it really "impossible" to get it matched? Any help would be great.
Semper Fi

10SE5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
    • CVO2: non CVO 2007 FXDWG Scorpion Blue/Scorpion Silver 109hp/111tq
Re: '10 CVO Tequila Sunrise paint help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:04:47 AM »

try Mondello's in Willow Grove PA. 215-657-3137. Kenny does awesome paintwork.
Fullsac X-Pipe, 2.0 baffles, TTS. Dyno tuned by Dave at JD's Cycle works. 96 HP/110 TQ

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »

I had my inner matched in that color.  No, you can't buy the paint anywhere, so it does need to be a mixed match.

Gunslingers Custom Paint, in Golden, Colorado.  Lots of people send them parts to be painted.  You could do the same, and include one of your stock lids, for the color match.

They'll shoot the color and compare, until they get it right.  

Consider this as well, they paint some of the CVO bikes, and some of the sets for the sheet metal program HD has...I was so pleased with their work on my 10 FLHXSE Teq Sunrise, I brought them all the tins from my 2003 Heritage Springer Softail.  HD has never released the silver paint from the 100th anny bikes, but Gunslingers can still mix and match until it's perfect.

Oh, and I paid $425 for the painted inner, and they polished both my side covers.  I had dull spots in the clearcoat from my wife's chaps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:40:02 AM by fish eye »

DBHWT

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »

Gunslingers painted an FBI wrap fender to match my FLTRSE3 O/B......perfect match ...would highly recommend

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »

HD recently introduced color-matched saddlebag speaker lids; they list "Tequilla Sunrise" but I don't know if it's the CVO color or not:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448777401&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491575&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302491575&bmUID=1329527479570&bmLocale=en_US

It uses the "DKO" suffix which you can compare to your painted parts or the newer Tequilla Sunrise color to compare.

Carl

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to research these guys and I'll let you know how it goes.

fisheye, how do you like the painted inner? I love the look on some of the darker colors but was afraid that the tequila sunrise would be too bright.
Semper Fi

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to research these guys and I'll let you know how it goes.

fisheye, how do you like the painted inner? I love the look on some of the darker colors but was afraid that the tequila sunrise would be too bright.

I'll let you decide for yourself!

Here's a thread with more details too:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=69807.0

Personally, I love the painted inner fairing.  IMHO, it really completed the look of a colored bike, and my only regret is that I waited through 2 summers of riding before I did it.  Aesthetically, I don't think you can spend money on a better mod.  Semper Fi!

rrussow

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »

Hey fisheye, looks good.  I have the same bike and I am not sure the painted inner is for me.  I see that you added chrome mirrors, other than the chrome is there any other benefit?  I also see you added an after-market stereo, are you glad you did and what hand-control compatibility loss did you incur?

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »

Fisheye, ride looks incredible. May have just cost me an exta couple of bucks.
Semper Fi

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »

Hey fisheye, looks good.  I have the same bike and I am not sure the painted inner is for me.  I see that you added chrome mirrors, other than the chrome is there any other benefit?  I also see you added an after-market stereo, are you glad you did and what hand-control compatibility loss did you incur?

As for the chrome mirrors, I just like the look.  I've seen painted mirrors, but I like how the chrome breaks it up some.  They're not the chrome covers, but full replacements.

As for the stereo, I wanted iPod capability, and I did this before (literally months) HD introduced the iPod module.  Using the kit from Hawg Wired, I lost my auto-volume control, but it's for the better.  I run an ARC 125.2 BX mini amp as well, and would have to disable the AVC anyhow, cause when running an amp, the last thing you want is the head-unit bumping up the gain, which might blow speakers.

No loss of hand controls at all.

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

fisheye, I contacted the guys at Gunslingers. They asked for a couple of pics so I sent them some different angles. Since I know that they have done that color right in the past I'm going to go with them. I'll post pics when I'm done with set up. Thanks again man.

Semper Fi

Tom
Semper Fi

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »

Good luck Tom.  Just make sure when send in the inner, put a side cover in as well.  That way, according to them, they can match it exact, since the same paint painted on different days can have a different tint.

Are you working with Kent?  I worked with him for my inner, and have been working with him and Tyler for my Heritage Springer.

Hope it all turns out well.  Oh, another thing, send them the plugs for the holes where the fairing wind deflectors go.  They'll shoot those as well.  Nothing like having an orange fairing, with black plugs!

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »

Good luck Tom.  Just make sure when send in the inner, put a side cover in as well.  That way, according to them, they can match it exact, since the same paint painted on different days can have a different tint.

Are you working with Kent?  I worked with him for my inner, and have been working with him and Tyler for my Heritage Springer.

Hope it all turns out well.  Oh, another thing, send them the plugs for the holes where the fairing wind deflectors go.  They'll shoot those as well.  Nothing like having an orange fairing, with black plugs!

I am dealing with kent, I'm not doing the inner yet, need speaker lids first. The boss (ie wife) only makes funds like this available once in awhile so I need to take the oprodunity to redo the stereo issue.  :)
Semper Fi

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »

What is the turn around time they are giving you? I've been thinking about having the inner done.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »

I used Gunslinger to paint my custom front fender and they were great! Talked to Kent
all the way through the process and was very pleased with the results.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.