Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '10 SESG Rear End Wobble  (Read 2627 times)

Laney

'10 SESG Rear End Wobble
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »

Anyone experiencing a high speed wobble in the rear end. I have had it back at the dealership to confirm steering nut is to spec. I am running new ME880's and keep the psi at tire recommended pressures. Have checked torque on swingarm. I talked to Glide Pro (recommended stabilizer) and he said "Let me guess, you have about 15,000 miles on it". I am just under that right now. I noticed it slightly in turns when riding fast and hit a bump a while ago, but after change of tires, really noticed it. As would be expected, HD Dealership could not duplicate. I can assure you it is there. When it first came on, I thought I was going to have to call HOG to have it towed. It scared me that much. I can be riding at about 70 mpg, wiggle in the saddle and the thing will wobble from the rear. When I stop moving in the saddle, it will continue back and forth at least once before straightening up. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Laney

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: '10 SESG Rear End Wobble
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:11 AM »

Haven't had it on my '11 SESG but had it on the older framed '08 RK.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »

My 09 did that at 30K at 110 (not that I ever exceed the posted speed limit)  :huepfenlol2:

Honestly though... initial thought was motor mounts and swingarm bushings but in the end we realized that 1) it was really windy that day and 2) the shocks were marginal at best....

So... check the shocks... and anything else in the back that might be loose.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »

I've got a 10 SESG with a tad bit over 42k miles on it and nothing even close to a wobble no matter what speed or what kind of road condiitions.  From time to time, I put my bike through the paces (just to make sure it's still running right  ;) ), but those following behind me always get upset......"he rides to fast". :nixweiss:

I've not heard of anything like this on a Street Glide or Ultra Classic from 09 and up.  However, there are a number of posts on this forum of it still happening on the Road Glide models.  Not sure why the Road Glide models and not Electra Glide models because it always seems to come down to the neck bearing adjustment.......even though they're told by several dealrships that they're within specs.  I think if you have your neck bearing set at the tightest specs, you'll see that problem go away.  Just my .02 worth from what I've saw and heard on the Road Glides. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »

09 up E-Glides should not wobble at all. I know only of one case, rear engine mount of of spec was the reason.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:16:30 AM »

1.  Shocks
2.  Wheel Bearings
3.  Swing Arm Bushings (rear motor mount)
4.  Reverify Steering Head Preload.  Loose will give you a front end wobble, but too tight can give you a rear end weave.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »

what they say below me!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:36:56 PM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »

Replace the stock air shocks with something that is tighter, ie non air shocks or airshocks that allow u to have enough air to push them up about 1/2 of the stroke.
 My question that I have, what is the air pressure that u r running in your shocks? How tall are u, and where do you run the shocks in terms of PSI at the time of the wobble. Yes the stabilizer is a big deal on these pre '09 and do help a ton, but with the rubber mounting of the rear fork and the side flex in the shocks, as these get wear and build slop, this is what happened to me on an earlier touring model that I had, shock replacement helped it almost dissappear after getting really bad after 30K on the stock shocks.

SESG's don't have rear air shocks.....they come stock with  "premium ride" shocks with preload adjustment on the left side.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448774797&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309446829&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309446829&locale=en_US&bmUID=1329583042158&bmLocale=en_US

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »

Replace the stock air shocks with something that is tighter, ie non air shocks or airshocks that allow u to have enough air to push them up about 1/2 of the stroke.
 My question that I have, what is the air pressure that u r running in your shocks? How tall are u, and where do you run the shocks in terms of PSI at the time of the wobble. Yes the stabilizer is a big deal on these pre '09 and do help a ton, but with the rubber mounting of the rear fork and the side flex in the shocks, as these get wear and build slop, this is what happened to me on an earlier touring model that I had, shock replacement helped it almost dissappear after getting really bad after 30K on the stock shocks.
The '10 SESG, as do all the SESGs and now also the SERGC, doesn't have rear air shocks.  They come stock with the adjustable hydraulic shocks.  Probably, the best stock shocks the MoCo has ever come out with, IMO.  It's probably not the shocks.  Sounds like something in the rear wheel that was amplified when he changed from the Dunlops to the Metzler.  Possible wheel slightly out of round, it wasn't balanced properly when the Metz was put on?   :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »

I've got a 10 SESG with a tad bit over 42k miles on it and nothing even close to a wobble no matter what speed or what kind of road condiitions.  From time to time, I put my bike through the paces (just to make sure it's still running right  ;) ), but those following behind me always get upset......"he rides to fast". :nixweiss:

I've not heard of anything like this on a Street Glide or Ultra Classic from 09 and up.  However, there are a number of posts on this forum of it still happening on the Road Glide models.  Not sure why the Road Glide models and not Electra Glide models because it always seems to come down to the neck bearing adjustment.......even though they're told by several dealrships that they're within specs.  I think if you have your neck bearing set at the tightest specs, you'll see that problem go away.  Just my .02 worth from what I've saw and heard on the Road Glides. :nixweiss:

I think I'd like riding with you JC... :)

on my '09 the bike had a decel wobble between 55 and 35 and almost bad enough to make a tank slapper if you happened to loosen your grip on the bars too much. Adjusted neck bearing, problem went away.. unti the 1K service and it did it again! adjusted again, and at 5K... and it was OK all the way through until that 30K moment and it wasnt the front then.. it was in the back... but like I said.. windy and 30K on the stock air shocks... they were done.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.