Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GETTING USED TO THE NEW FUEL GAUGE...  (Read 3094 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
GETTING USED TO THE NEW FUEL GAUGE...
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:26:41 AM »

Is it just me as I'm used to the in dash gauge that I forget to note the LEDs in the left tank cap?....  :oops:

I havent run out of fuel yet, as the low fuel light is my telltale....

However, I had 160 miles when the light lit up,  (We have E-10 here, and this stuff sux on the fuel economy)  Got to 175 miles, then filled up with 5.2 gallons...

To be honest.. my 09 got better mileage out of the box than this one does... but, it also has more power stock than the 09 did...   :nixweiss:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Re: GETTING USED TO THE NEW FUEL GAUGE...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »

On my bike the LEDS on the gas cap are very hard to see in day light :'(, so I just program my Garmin to give me warning! I am getting much better gas milage than you (about 40 to 45 mpg).
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »

On my bike the LEDS on the gas cap are very hard to see in day light :'(, so I just program my Garmin to give me warning! I am getting much better gas milage than you (about 40 to 45 mpg).

I dont have long interstates to travel.. I'm stuck on a rock...
 :soapbox:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

I dont have long interstates to travel.. I'm stuck on a rock...
 :soapbox:

I've never heard anyone call Paradise just a "rock" before.  You need to spend some time around Chicago to recalibrate. ;)

Maybe you could add a real fuel gauge to the fairing, where it should have been kept by the morons at H-D.  Smart folks put important gauges together, where a quick glance can discern all the important stuff like speed and oil pressure and fuel level without taking your eyes off the road for more than a second or two.  But Harley had this wonderful idea about putting tweeters in the hole instead, so you get a fake gas cap with little LED's in it.  Just one more example of how they place function at the lowest priority level. 

I still think a clear plastic panel in the tank would be the best way to tell how much fuel a Harley has remaining.  Adjust the mirrors for a good view of the side of the tank, and you could monitor fuel levels directly and more precisely without having to look down.  They could install a colored backlight in the tank to make determining the fuel level easier in poor light conditions, and set it up like my wifes CUV where you press a little button to cycle through several different color choices for the interior lighting.  Hmmmm, the more I think about it, the more I think I need to see a patent attorney right away before one of you guys or the folks from Milwaukee steal my idea.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »

pretty much every time I fill up my miles to empty goes to between 260-270 for around town 43+ mpg and 285-300 on a trip 48+ mpg always use this as it has proved to be accurate down to 10 miles to go also on a trip I carry 1/2 litre primus can in saddlebag so I dont get stuck pushing it like I did on trip to Sturgis on my Deuce could see the gas station at the end of the salt flats ...lol dont get the same mpg at those altitudes I guess..
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »

I prefer an analog type gauge, or at least one that mimicks the look.  But HD gauges are just general indicators at best, no matter the style.  I use my odometer, but my bladder generally has me stopping well before I'm about to run out of fuel.  I'm getting about 40-44 mpg, at best.  Worse at 80mph.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »

I've never heard anyone call Paradise just a "rock" before.  You need to spend some time around Chicago to recalibrate. ;)

Maybe you could add a real fuel gauge to the fairing, where it should have been kept by the morons at H-D.  Smart folks put important gauges together, where a quick glance can discern all the important stuff like speed and oil pressure and fuel level without taking your eyes off the road for more than a second or two.  But Harley had this wonderful idea about putting tweeters in the hole instead, so you get a fake gas cap with little LED's in it.  Just one more example of how they place function at the lowest priority level. 

I still think a clear plastic panel in the tank would be the best way to tell how much fuel a Harley has remaining.  Adjust the mirrors for a good view of the side of the tank, and you could monitor fuel levels directly and more precisely without having to look down.  They could install a colored backlight in the tank to make determining the fuel level easier in poor light conditions, and set it up like my wifes CUV where you press a little button to cycle through several different color choices for the interior lighting.  Hmmmm, the more I think about it, the more I think I need to see a patent attorney right away before one of you guys or the folks from Milwaukee steal my idea.

Jerry ;D

Jerry... It would be the equivalent of snow fever.... For us travelling on the scoots is a MAJOR undertaking, not to mention EXPENSIVE.

I had thought about keeping the other bike and sending it to my sister's in AZ but no one would ride it... and thats not a good thing either.

On the fuel gauge: How about a floater and a stick? :)

Paradise is what you make of it... Milk is almost $8/gallon (and you still have to look at boobs in the strip clubs) Gas is $4.45 for premium, and home prices?.. argh!

When we had an interisland ferry system that was GREAT... (and cheap travel too) but alas, it is all gone now.....

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.