Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Pulled over by TSA  (Read 4118 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Pulled over by TSA
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »

I personally don't have any issues with it.   :nixweiss:

Hope the TSA agents on the road are better then the airport version
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »

Hope the TSA agents on the road are better then the airport version
They are Duane.  They are sworn Federal LE officers and have to go through the National Law Enforcement Training course and have national jurisdiction.  The airport TSA officers you see at the security checkpoints are not trained LE's but rather trained, sometimes questionably, in passenger screening and detection.  They do not carry firearms and do not have jurisdiction outside of their respective assignments.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »

I personally don't have any issues with it.   :nixweiss:

The concept of broader/better security can't be questioned.  The devil seems to be in some of the details Charlie. 

Even at its most basic, and assuming absolutely randomized searches based solely on the 1:8 or 1:10 percentages they often work to avoid being accused of profiling, this still means that one in eight or one in ten citizens are left with the option of agreeing to a search that, by definition, is random and without probable cause or being disallowed boarding on bus, train or other public conveyance.  A public conveyance that is, in some fashion, supported by that same taxpaying prospective passenger's tax payments to the same government that is now disallowing access.

It may not be a big deal.  But it is a deal.  It's also the kind of deal that is too often the genesis of administrative rulemaking that then begins to expand other governmental initiative, activity and oversight.  It is the chocolate donut to the creeping obesity that becomes further and later governmental intrusion.

Patriot Act original excesses and evolutionary expansions were finally scaled back both by the Courts and legislatively/administratively in response to growing general recognition that things had gone too far for our national tastes.  That a recognition occurred is, of course, a good thing.  It is still the case, however, that Governmental intrusion, secret and otherwise, had to have gone too far for those recognitions to happen.  The evolution of such intrusions begin with the kind of assumptive authorities and jurisdiction policies such as these suggest.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:33:46 PM »

I just received this email this week so I'll add this to the thread!

TSA to start fondling drivers now, too?
Lawmaker introduces STRIP Act to stop agents from abusing their power
http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/tsa-to-start-fondling-drivers-now-too/

A U.S. congresswoman was alarmed to learn that blue-shirted Transportation Security Administration agents had left the airports in her native state to begin inspecting cars and trucks, as well.

“Many of my constituents discovered this firsthand this past fall, as those familiar blue uniforms and badges appeared on Tennessee highways,” writes Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., in a Forbes editorial titled “The TSA Is Coming to a Highway Near You.”
“In October,” she continued, “Tennessee became the first state to conduct a statewide Department of Homeland Security Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) team operation [that] randomly inspected Tennessee truck drivers and cars.”

TSA representative Nico Melendez confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that these VIPR teams have also branched out to conduct security checks at subways, trains and cruise ship ports.

Read how Big Brother is intruding into our lives in ways Orwell never dreamed, with WND’s new Whistleblower issue, “ONE NATION UNDER SURVEILLANCE.”

Businessweek reports the total number of TSA agents more than tripled in the last decade, from 16,000 to 51,000, while the Times further reports that VIPR teams conducted more than 9,300 checkpoints and other ops in 2011 alone.

Yet Blackburn is concerned not only with the increasing presence of the TSA, but also with the perceived power they have over Americans. For despite the fancy uniforms and tin badges, she asserts, the TSA’s transportation security officers, or TSOs, aren’t police and shouldn’t appear to be.

Many TSOs, she points out, have had less training that it takes to become a security guard, let alone a law enforcement officer, and yet they stand equipped with uniforms and badges, asserting the authority to scan, X-ray and even pat down travelers in ever-more invasive ways.

“While TSOs may have the appearance of [police], they have neither the authority nor the power,” Blackburn writes. “As TSOs continue to expand their presence beyond our nation’s airports and onto our highways, every American citizen has the right to know that they are not dealing with actual federal law enforcement officers.”

Blackburn explains that when the TSA administratively reclassified its airport screeners as TSOs seven years ago, it also changed the agents’ uniform from black pants and white shirts to the familiar, police-like, blue shirts with metal badges – a change the congresswoman has now resolved to reverse.

Blackburn, therefore, has introduced H.R. 3608, the “Stop TSA’s Reach in Policy,” or STRIP Act, as a way of putting the TSA back in its place.

“This bill will simply overturn the TSA’s administrative decision by prohibiting any TSA employee who has not received federal law enforcement training from using the title ‘officer,’ wearing a police-like uniform or a metal police badge,” she explains. “At its most basic level, the STRIP Act is about truth in advertising.”

H.R. 3608 has garnered 39 cosponsors – all Republicans – and has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Transportation Security.

“Despite the fact that TSOs are ‘officers’ in name only,” Blackburn explains on her website, “some have chosen to abuse their limited authority against the unsuspecting public. Earlier this year in New Jersey, a TSO was arrested for impersonating an officer, and days before Thanksgiving, a Virginia woman was brutally raped after a TSO approached her in uniform, waving his badge.”

“It is outrageous that in a post 9/11 world … the American people should have to live in fear of those whose job it is to keep us safe,” Blackburn continued. “Congress has sat idly by as the TSA strip searches 85-year-old grandmothers in New York, pats down 3-year-olds in Chattanooga and checks colostomy bags for explosives in Orlando. Enough is enough! The least we can do is end this impersonation, which is an insult to real cops.”

IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »

There seems to be reaction more (or at least as much) to the fact that TSA is working outside airports as to what TSA is doing (or supporting others do) outside airports is, perhaps, questionable.  It's not the Airport Security Administration.  TSA's mandate has always been broader than that in the transport field.  And that's fine.  So long as their techniques aren't as intrusive as a donkey's dong in a Tijuana strip club.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 07:37:06 AM »

They are Duane.  They are sworn Federal LE officers and have to go through the National Law Enforcement Training course and have national jurisdiction.  The airport TSA officers you see at the security checkpoints are not trained LE's but rather trained, sometimes questionably, in passenger screening and detection.  They do not carry firearms and do not have jurisdiction outside of their respective assignments.

I sure hope you are correct, most the TSA I have delt with in Ports and Air Ports are not very bright, not well trained either.

In New Orleans a TSA officer at the Air Port would not let me though Security because my US Navy ID card was not a valid form of ID.   ???  Thought that was funny, held up the line for 10 minutes waiting for his supervisor to show up and tell him it was a valid ID.  I refused to move out of the way for others, and blocked the line, your dang right I made mess out of it.

In Knoxville I had a TSA officer tell my TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credentials) card was no good.  Funny thing is it is Issued by TSA.  It is a chipped card to make it easier to get me in and out of secure ports, and that I am not a security risk.  I showed him the back where it was issued by TSA, he said they did not issue any such card.  Again we waited on a supervisor. 

Yea, I know I could use my passport or drivers license.  But its fun seeing the idiots we have at our security.  Never once out side the USA has any one said my US Navy ID was not valid at an airport security.  Our Airport security is a Joke compared to several countries I have been through.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »

I sure hope you are correct, most the TSA I have delt with in Ports and Air Ports are not very bright, not well trained either.

In Knoxville I had a TSA officer tell my TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credentials) card was no good.  Funny thing is it is Issued by TSA.  It is a chipped card to make it easier to get me in and out of secure ports, and that I am not a security risk.  I showed him the back where it was issued by TSA, he said they did not issue any such card.  Again we waited on a supervisor. 

Similar incidents with my TWIC ID. In all cases when supervisor shows up, they tell underling - TWIC is one of the best IDs they can have.

:)
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

I work at several airports and from my experience and interfacing with the TSA personnel, it seems that none of the ones I've met have any prior law enforcement experience and appear better suited to be guarding the entrance of a retirement home.  This is typical of the way government reacts to any negative circumstance, just create another governmental agency or department.  Terrorism wins again as our basic freedoms are eroded a little bit more!   :soapbox:
Jesus is Lord

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:35 AM »

I have yet to get through airport screening using my TWIC, nor have I found anyone at an airport that knew what a TWIC was.

Allegedly, readers are finally supposed to be approved and start showing up this summer. Not bad, 5 years after the cards came out.

And, just because you have a TWIC doesn't mean you get access. The facility or port still can set their own rules.

MV 2013

Elmar

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: Buell XB12 Ulysses
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 04:10:09 AM »

May I toss my 10 C into the discussion.
Being a German citizen who has (since a couple of years) the pleasure to live and work as a legal alien in the USA -I have gathered some experiences too.

In Germany with its open borders in any given direction it is common to be pulled over by the German "Zoll" (which is customs) or "Bundespolizei" (which was previously the border patrol) somewhere deep in the country. In fact they have more rights to search you and or your vehicle than the ordinary police.
If you drive a minivan with blackened windows and Ukrainian licence plates it equals to a 90% chance to be considered as a cigarette smuggler and you will be stopped and controlled.
Driving a Bentley/Maybach/Ferrari/Rolls on your way to or from Switzerland almost guarantees you a special search for money or deposit slips from Swiss banks.
The more backyard or hidden your chosen road is the more likely is a  mobile checkpoint.

In the USA -only two land-borders the situation is obviously different, if you protect your ports your are almost done. Therefore the gazillion of TSA officers at the airports.
Most of them are friendly, customer oriented and doing imho a fine job. From time to time you find a grumpy officer who apparently has a really bad day - like in any other environment with human beings involved. But still this is Kindergeburtstag compare to the treatment you receive in most other countries.
In other words, yes, it is more complicated as a foreigner to get into the country than in Europe but the random police or TSA traffic controlls outside the ports are very rare.

But in all honesty:
I prefer to live in a country where it is more difficult to get in than in one of those where it is rather difficult to get out (like previously in the Eastern part of Europe or even today in China)

YALE rules

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »

But in all honesty:
I prefer to live in a country where it is more difficult to get in than in one of those where it is rather difficult to get out (like previously in the Eastern part of Europe or even today in China)

Amen Brother.   :2vrolijk_21:

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »

If you really want to throw TSA a curve ball in an airport, give them your CCW (conceal carry license) instead of your drivers license! :2vrolijk_21:

I did that once in DFW, by mistake.  I always keep my CCW & OK DL together, had my hands full, and without looking, gave them my CCW instead.  :oops: No, I wasn't carrying, but I got the third degree anyway!  "Why did you give us a CCW license?"  I said "what does it matter, it's a legal ID!!"  "Are you carrying today?"  "NO!"  He called two more TSA's over, who questioned me, and finally let me go.  Several times since, I've thought about doing that again, but decided against it.  It's just not worth it.

Not my main "hat", but one of many hats I wear has been as an emergency responder to transportation HAZMAT incidents, with specific hazardous cargo/product knowlege expertise.  I have trained on a federal facility with TSA workers.  Not the ones in airports, but the higher up "wheels" in TSA.  We were in different classes, but shared a common lunch room.  What a bunch of stuck up, arrogant jerks!  Maybe all of them aren't, but that particular group thought they were better than everyone there.

Another case of "I wish I could buy them for what they are worth, and sell them for what they think they are worth!"

2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »

a different story about TSA: Precheck for 100$
and what about security? Sorry the article is in German:

http://www.golem.de/news/us-flughafenkontrollen-fuer-100-dollar-am-flughafen-nicht-mehr-hosen-runterlassen-1203-90559.html
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »

It's Google so may not be perfect - but at least we get to keep our pants up  :2vrolijk_21:

U.S. airport security who pays, at U.S. airport must not let down your pants

For $ 100, the war on terror is over. At U.S. airports, it is again for quick and easy safety checks, such as from before the 11th September 2001. For Precheck-payers, the notebook in hand luggage and the pants will stay up.
The U.S. Transportation Security Administration TSA allows passengers to pay $ 100 to bypass the security checks at airports. It reports the Wall Street Journal blog The News Hub.

Many people find it humiliating rebuke that they are often forced under great pressure at the security checkpoints at the airport to take off her belt and her shoes, and then, with a notebook in one hand and the waist in the other hand, by disgruntled security forces and to be scanned. Especially with small children running around and ignoring safety regulations, is the passenger in front of almost not be solved.
For this scenario, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which belongs to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, now a paid alternative. Under the name Precheck there for $ 100 an accelerated security checks at major U.S. airports. The queued in separate queues waiting passengers must kept on shoes and belts, notebooks, and liquids can remain in your hand luggage. As before the attacks on 11 September 2001 by the below-Precheck passengers then a metal detector instead of the controversial body scanners. This preferential treatment is according to the report already has been by the two American Airlines and Delta introduced at nine airports.

Precheck: In 30 seconds by the control

To qualify for the preference program, frequent flyer must meet certain criteria, the TSA kept secret. As the passengers Stegmeir Matt reported that security guards are apparently also instructed to treat the Precheck users particularly friendly. Gary Kaminsky, another frequent flyer, praised the Precheck program: "It reduces the security checkpoint at about 30 seconds."

Early beginnings for TSA Precheck began early as 2011. Precheck is loud TSA Administrator John Pistole still in its pilot phase, but should be rapidly expanded. Participants in the special program will be matched against a terrorist watch list, there are also more regular safety checks on a single sample. Then Precheck participant may, but classified in the front of the queue. A special code will be entered into the boarding pass.

By the end of the year 2012, the preferred program to 35 airports and six airlines to be extended. 2013 continues to expand.

I have a "security clearance" ID issue by TSA and Homeland Security(TWIC card). I have yet to go through an airport where that ID is recognized.

MV 2013

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »

thanks porthole,

??? still forget that google can translate and many other things  ???
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 22 queries.