Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odyssey Battery  (Read 5355 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Odyssey Battery
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:39:10 PM »

I think my battery is on its last leg.  Not sure if it's ever been replaced. Been using a battery tender since I got the bike last May. Don't believe the previous owner used one. With the increased compression (and Comp releases) it seems a bit sluggish when cranking.  With my past bikes I always waited too long and kept the battery installed till it was dead and was then at the mercy of the local HD shop.   When I lived in Vegas I was lucky to get 3 years on a battery. Always seemed to be a significant jump in price when I bought one too. Looking for other options this time.

Just did a search on the site and discovered Odyssey batteries. Googled PC925LMJ and it took me to Battery Mart.  PC925LMJ is listed as a spare for the 2010.  Will this battery fit in my 2006? If not does anyone know what part number I would need? Whats the difference (other than $30) between the PC925LMJ and PC925L? Battery Mart alos sells a Big Crank AGM battery for under a $100, has anyone tried it? Since I'm now running FI bike with a lot of electronics, I don't mind spending a little more on a battery if its worth it. Are these Dry Cell Odyssey's worth the money? Are there any other good aftermarket batteries out there I should be considering?

weeble67

Re: Odyssey Battery
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »

I had a 2000 Road King Classic. I had it punched out, Andrews gear driven cams, the heads milled and larger intakes put in. I had an unbelievable life out of my stock battery. It was in the bike for 6 years with no problems. Once I did the engine work, the compression was insane and when trying to start it on the stock battery that had worked great I had problems. I too did some research and found that Odyssey Batteries were available for my bike. I have two in different ATV's that I own and I've never had a problem. I put the one that Odyssey recommended fit perfectly and I had plenty of juice to crank my bike over. It has been in there over two years and I know the current owner is still running it without issues. When my CVO Ultra's battery needs replaced, I'll be contacting Odyssey.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »

My Odyssey is going on its fourth year now and show no signs of giving up. I'm going to replace it before RibFest cause its probably time and one less thing to worry about. With the HD batteries I routinely replaced them every year and still got cought short a few times. I'm sure the HD's have improved over the years, but why take a chance.  Doc

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »

Interstate also has a line of AGM batteries that are supposed to be pretty nice.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »

When you read the Odyssey sales pitch, you need to be aware they often compare apples to oranges.  For instance, most of their comparisons are to the old technology flooded cell batteries that Harley hasn't used for more than a decade.  The Harley uses an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery, which makes it spill proof among other things.  The Odyssey is the same kind of battery (AGM), they just use their "Dry Cell" name to make people think it's something different and special.  They also use non industry standard ratings for cranking amps in part of their spiel, as in the 925 that becomes the name of the battery.  That is not the industry standard CCA rating, but some 5 second pulse they dreamed up to make their stuff sound much better than the 385 CCA rating of a stock battery.  Dig around on their site for the real CCA rating and you'll find it's the same as the Harley.  As for long life, I don't see any big deal.  The three Harley batteries I've owned all lasted between 5 and 7 years, which is pretty darn good on most any kind of vehicle, much less a motorcycle.

Anyhow, there are plenty of folks who seem to think they are very good batteries.  The question in my mind is, are they worth a hundred bucks more than the already overpriced Harley battery ($270 versus $170 MSRP)?  Not in my humble opinion.  Look at the other recent battery thread on the site that talks about the Deka replacement (it's the same thing as the Big Crank at Battery Mart, made by Deka).  Those are priced below $100 including shipping from various online stores and ebay, and they have a very large following among Harley riders. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »

I just got a Odyssey PC925 LMJ here:     SEP Technologies
                                                       support@septechnologies.biz
                                                       866-819-6035
                                                       http://sepbatteries.com/pc925lmj-odyssey-battery?gclid=CKHj3uq04q4CFQ2FhwodmFnKYA

for 174.99 no tax, free shipping, and a free Odyssey T-shirt  !!
 L is for left positive MJ metal jacket (LMJ)

Doc
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:09:10 PM by grandpadoc »

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »

Good info everyone....thanks.

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »

I tried an Odyssey on my former 2000 UC and it didn't last a year, so I went back to OEM as the original lasted me 4 years. I just sold the bike and it was still cranking away with the batt going on 3 yrs.
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
Rhineharts 4 in Cans in black
TTS MasterTune

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »

When you read the Odyssey sales pitch, you need to be aware they often compare apples to oranges.  For instance, most of their comparisons are to the old technology flooded cell batteries that Harley hasn't used for more than a decade.  The Harley uses an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery, which makes it spill proof among other things.  The Odyssey is the same kind of battery (AGM), they just use their "Dry Cell" name to make people think it's something different and special.  They also use non industry standard ratings for cranking amps in part of their spiel, as in the 925 that becomes the name of the battery.  That is not the industry standard CCA rating, but some 5 second pulse they dreamed up to make their stuff sound much better than the 385 CCA rating of a stock battery.  Dig around on their site for the real CCA rating and you'll find it's the same as the Harley.  As for long life, I don't see any big deal.  The three Harley batteries I've owned all lasted between 5 and 7 years, which is pretty darn good on most any kind of vehicle, much less a motorcycle.

Anyhow, there are plenty of folks who seem to think they are very good batteries.  The question in my mind is, are they worth a hundred bucks more than the already overpriced Harley battery ($270 versus $170 MSRP)?  Not in my humble opinion.  Look at the other recent battery thread on the site that talks about the Deka replacement (it's the same thing as the Big Crank at Battery Mart, made by Deka).  Those are priced below $100 including shipping from various online stores and ebay, and they have a very large following among Harley riders. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

Just my .02. No experience with the Odyssey Battery seemed priced to high to me. Found a Deka battery on Ebay back in March for $95.00 with free shipping for wifes RKClassic. It fit well and is working fine.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

Thanks, after reading Jerry's post I decided on the Deka.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »

A local Batteries Plus.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »

Before buying a Interstate Motorcycle Battery check out how they do the warranty. Seems to me it is only a year and maybe pro-rated for most of that. They apparently base this on bikes being ridden 6 and parked for 6 months depleating the battery. But check first. Have a buddy who has been fighting with them for awhile over warranty.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.