Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Proper Oil Temp  (Read 22569 times)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
Proper Oil Temp
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »

Installed the oil temp gauge on my FLHTCUSE4.  Removed the air temp gauge and replaced it with the oil temp gauge.  After engine heats up temp runs up to about 210.  I was curious about what should be the proper oil temp.  Running V&H PowerDuals,  CVO cans with 2" Fullsac Baffles,  Bike has been DYNO'ed and has a SESRT.

JImmy
Jimmy

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Proper Oil Temp
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »

It varies, depending on a number of variables.....ambient temp, riding style, speed, wind, etc.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »

What's the oil temp gauge part #? I have wanted to change that stoopid air temp for a long time !!!

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »

A simple solution for this is the LCD oil temp dipstick. I had one on my FXDFSE3, and am getting one for my FLHXSE3, since I have little speakers instead of useless guages. Its HD pat # 62700005 for chrome and 63004-09
 for black.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »

I don't know proper, but I am running between 200 and 250 on my convertible depending upon ambient temp and speed.  I have VLIEDs turned to lower AFR to about 14.0.  I am not looking forward to being stuck in traffic in July in St. Louis!  While an oil cooler may help, that assumes I am moving to push air over it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »

The official normal operating oil temperature for a Twin Cam engine is 230°F per H-D.  Of course, since these are air cooled engines, the actual temperatures will vary fairly widely depending on operating conditions.  If the outside air temps are significantly higher or lower than 70°F, then your oil temp will also vary accordingly.  If you are just cruising easily down the highway, the oil temp will be lower than if you just hammered it for 30 miles.  In other words, there is no one single "normal" oil temperature.

The way to use an oil temp gauge is to first get a feel for what your particular gauge reads under the various conditions you usually ride in.  Let's say in your case it usually reads somewhere between 210°F and 250°F.  As long as it remains in that range, you have nothing to worry about.  If you suddenly see a significantly different reading, then you need to look for possible causes.

As for the dipstick gauge, they don't have a sterling record for accuracy or durability.  They are also not a real time solution, unless you plan to lean down and push the button as often as you would normally sweep your other gauges with your eyes.  If you have the ability to mount a real direct reading gauge, it is the much better solution.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »

I dont care what it is...tire pressure is more important...being a dipstick myself I had the dipstick, it broke. I am way too lazy to put in oil temp gauge, oil pressure is more important and I am impressed these new fangled HD's actually have oil pressure!  :huepfenlol2:

99fatboy

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »

Anything over 250 and Dino oil starts to break down. 210 is ok. Anyone that's sees greater then 250 for longer periods then not should change to a full synthetic oil, or install an oil cooler.

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »

Installed the oil temp gauge on my FLHTCUSE4.  Removed the air temp gauge and replaced it with the oil temp gauge.  After engine heats up temp runs up to about 210.  I was curious about what should be the proper oil temp.  Running V&H PowerDuals,  CVO cans with 2" Fullsac Baffles,  Bike has been DYNO'ed and has a SESRT.

JImmy

I was told that I can't use the dash oil temp guage on mine, 2010 FLHXSE, since I have an oil cooler.  I had to go with the dip stick version.  Do you have an oil cooler on yours?  If so, where does the sending unit hook up to?
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

I was told that I can't use the dash oil temp guage on mine, 2010 FLHXSE, since I have an oil cooler.  I had to go with the dip stick version.  Do you have an oil cooler on yours?  If so, where does the sending unit hook up to?

The oil cooler has nothing to do with being able to install the dash mounted gauge.  The sending unit is installed in the oil pan, utilizing an existing hole that is normally plugged.  There are plenty of folks with CVO Touring models (that all came with oil coolers) running the in dash temperature gauges.  There was a time when Harley's instructions had the sending unit in one of the oil cooler lines on bikes so equipped, and that did not work worth two dead flies.  What you want to measure is the oil temperature immediately after the oil returns from the engine, not before it goes to the engine.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »

For some reason the spun aluminum face,75320-05A, that matches my stock gauges, say that it won't fit 09 or later FLHXSE/2 which is my bike.  I don't understand why.  All the dealer can tell me is that it has something to do with the cooler.  That's why I asked. 
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »

For some reason the spun aluminum face,75320-05A, that matches my stock gauges, say that it won't fit 09 or later FLHXSE/2 which is my bike.  I don't understand why.  All the dealer can tell me is that it has something to do with the cooler.  That's why I asked. 

I believe you will notice a difference when you ride at night.  The back lighting is different.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »

I believe you will notice a difference when you ride at night.  The back lighting is different.

So you put one on yours and the only diff was it wasn't red back lighting?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »

I was told that I can't use the dash oil temp guage on mine, 2010 FLHXSE, since I have an oil cooler.  I had to go with the dip stick version.  Do you have an oil cooler on yours?  If so, where does the sending unit hook up to?

I have it on my 10 SESG.  That's the one that measures oil temp in the motor.  The dip stick oil temp measures the temp in the oil bag.

Using Dakota Digital gauges, also have the head temp, too.

**Edit...

Next post down, Jerry covered it above.  Yes, the backlighting is different but if you can live with that, you're good to go. :2vrolijk_21:  Personally, knowing what was/is going on with my motor was/is more important than a back light that I'm the only one that sees it (unless I just fired the bike up and I'm still sitting still with somebody beside me). :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:18:13 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »

So you put one on yours and the only diff was it wasn't red back lighting?

The problem isn't the backlighting color, it's just done in a different way.  The older bikes had a very simple and fairly lousy backlighting system that just provided a very soft glow around the edge of the gauge face.  Not enough to actually read numbers on a gauge, and barely enough to see the needle under some conditions.  The late model bikes have a different backlighting system that makes the gauges more readable.  What you can do with the old style (including that oil temp gauge) is to upgrade the bulb to a higher output LED.  It still won't be exactly the same as the rest of your gauges, but at least it will be brighter and more readable.  And of course it only becomes obvious at night, so if you mostly ride in daylight it's not a big deal anyway.  As for the color, even if the rest of your gauges did have a different color, like blue for instance, that wouldn't keep you from buying that color bulb and putting it in the old style gauge. 

The dealer employee who told you it has something to do with the oil cooler is just one more in a long line of idiots working all across this land in Harley dealerships.  They have never met a question they weren't happy to make up a quick answer for, rather than actually find out the real answer.  It's one of the main reasons so many people come on this site and ask questions; most of us probably know at least twice as much about these bikes as the average person at the dealerships.  It's a sad state of affairs, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.  As a matter of fact, as the bikes get more complicated the problem just gets worse.

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 22 queries.