Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Proper Oil Temp  (Read 22568 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Re: Proper Oil Temp
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »

If you want a straight up answer, you can count on Jerry.  :2vrolijk_21:

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »

Thanks for the info guys!  I wonder what the range difference in readings are between the dash gauge and the dip stick would be.  I would assume the dash gauge would be higher since it's reading right out of the engine.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »

Jerry, do you care about oil temperature.....sorry got Uncle Nubby syndrome going today..and 2 cahbombs down mee gullet... ::) :P
I know the oi temp out of my vld is wikit hot.   :drink:

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »

Actually the best oil temp is one that I don't see anymore. I was always worried about my oil temp and I have learned they get Hot here in Arizona and that is just the way it is. :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »

Jerry, do you care about oil temperature.....sorry got Uncle Nubby syndrome going today..and 2 cahbombs down mee gullet... ::) :P
I know the oi temp out of my vld is wikit hot.   :drink:

Nobody asked if it was important Miker, so I didn't go into the fact that it's not something I'd actually mess with myself.  I think I have asked the question in previous threads about what folks would do if they were riding and the oil temperature gauge read 280 instead of the usual 230, pull off the road in the middle of nowhere and shut it down? 

My real opinion is that all the dipsticks and gauges are pretty much useless doodads.  How many folks have spent most of their riding life on bikes that had zero gauges other than a speedo and maybe a tach?  Did they have any more problems than those with umpteen gauges of dubious quality and accuracy?  I seriously doubt it.  There isn't a single gauge on a Touring Harley that is really essential, other than the speedometer and maybe the fuel gauge if you get one that's halfway accurate (chuckle).  The voltmeter is pretty much useless, and if the charging system takes a dump there is an idiot light to let you know.  You also get an idiot light for oil pressure.  So that only leaves the highly prized air temperature gauge that doesn't have an alternate system on board.  I guess my "lick the finger and stick it up into the air stream" method will have to suffice for that one.

IMHO, no oil temperature gauge is needed.  But if you want one, I suggest getting a real gauge that reads continuously, not some mickey mouse dipstick that requires you to lean over and push a button when you want a reading.  Considering the lack of quality and reliability of those dipsticks, it makes more sense to just send me a couple hundred bucks instead, or invest the money in Powerball.

Jerry ;) 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

As for the dipstick gauge, they don't have a sterling record for accuracy or durability.  They are also not a real time solution, unless you plan to lean down and push the button as often as you would normally sweep your other gauges with your eyes.  If you have the ability to mount a real direct reading gauge, it is the much better solution.

Jerry

I use the analog version for this very reason.  While I would prefer the digital with oil level indicator as well, I have heard very mixed reviews and not interested in blowing $140 bucks on an experiment.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »

I have the LCD dipstick...I've not had any problems with them, on two different bikes.  I don't really care what the oil temp is, I just use it for a reference point and check it occasionally when I stop to put gas in the bike, or get back home from a ride.  The quality of the sensor?  Having worked with sensors of various types (temp sensors) for years, I certainly don't think that either the LCD dipstick or the gauge in the dash are necessarily dead on accurate, but don't gnash my teeth over whether either of them are off by + or -  5-10 degress.  And by random chance, they could be dead on, but odds are that over time the readings will drift, and it can't be calibrated to my knowledge.  But either of them are useful for a reference point...just don't obsess over it.  I just use a high quality synthetic oil and call it good to go.  My bike generally is around 230 when it's 85-90 outside, but I've seen it as high as 250's after being in heavy traffic, or doing a particularly "spirited" run.  When it's 98 degrees down here and 90% relative humidity, the bike is going to be hot as a firecracker...even a water cooled bike in those conditions is not comfortable sitting in traffic.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »

The main function of the dash mounted oil temp gauge for me, is to determine when to turn on and off the Lenale engine and oil cooler fans. I typically only find need for their use when in heavy stop and go traffic. I usually turn them on as the temp exceeds 250 degrees. They will keep the temps in the 230 to 250 range.

Tom P.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »

The main function of the dash mounted oil temp gauge for me, is to determine when to turn on and off the Lenale engine and oil cooler fans. I typically only find need for their use when in heavy stop and go traffic. I usually turn them on as the temp exceeds 250 degrees. They will keep the temps in the 230 to 250 range.

Tom P.   

That will work, but of course you could also wire in a simple thermostat to do the same thing automatically.  I thought they offered that with the Lenale fans?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »

i have the hd fan - and it is on a thermostat - and what i find is that it pretty d*&^ hot before it comes on, but once it has come on it cools the bike right down, then it will cycle on and off to keep the temp down, i just wish it would come on the first time more proactively

to

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »

That will work, but of course you could also wire in a simple thermostat to do the same thing automatically.  I thought they offered that with the Lenale fans?

Jerry
No thermostat came with the fans. Adding one is on my "to do" list, but it's works out pretty well using the dash mounted ACC switch to control fans.
Tom P.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 11:28:10 PM »

The Following information was provide by Harley Davidson Service, 3rd Floor.

*At what temperature will Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil break down?
This oil has been designed for use at temperatures up to 300 deg F for extended periods with no significant breakdown.

**What oil temperature is best for my Harley-Davidson?
A good oil operating temperature range is 200 deg to 240 deg F.  Water condensation and acids tend to build up in the oil if the temperature is consistently below 180 deg F, and oil thickness can become marginal at temperatures above 300 deg F.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:30:11 PM by Aussie »

biker0051

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:44 PM »

I dont care what it is...tire pressure is more important...being a dipstick myself I had the dipstick, it broke. I am way too lazy to put in oil temp gauge, oil pressure is more important and I am impressed these new fangled HD's actually have oil pressure!  :huepfenlol2:
A common misconception is about the oil pressure. HD oil pumps were/are a low pressure high volume pump. All those guys that bought springs to boost their oil pressure only succeded in flooding their crankcases with oil creating more drag on their flywheels reducing horsepower and torque.
NEVER put regular motor oil in your HD! Regular motor oil is designed for vehicles that maintain a 180-195 degree temp. HD's run at 240 degrees or so. HD motor oil is blended specifically to withstand those kinds of temps.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »

230-250 is normal on a hot 90+ degree day.

I would be running a full synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oil like Amsoil or Mobil 1 motorcycle 20W50.

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

I replaced the ambient air temp guage on my bike with the oil temp guage after the dipstick crapped out. I love just being able to see where I am running. Some people say it does not matter, it is what it is, but any extra insight about what is going on in the engine to me is a good thing. Besides, can you have a more worthless guage than the ambient air temp guage? I used to call it the windshiled wiper because it just wags back and forth. As for temp I am all over the map here is South Dakota. It will hover just over 180 on a cold day, say 40-50 degrees. On a a nice day around 200, say 70-75 degrees out. When the temps climb in the summer I will see 220-230. I watch it climb north of 240-250 while stuck in traffic or at stoplights, then get a satisfied feeling when I get back in the wind and see it drop. I really like to eyeball it while weaving my way thru Sturgis so I can say to myself "Thats too high, I better pull off to the side for a brew and let it cool"!
Semper Fidelis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.