Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Proper Oil Temp  (Read 22572 times)

biker0051

Re: Proper Oil Temp
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »

230-250 is normal on a hot 90+ degree day.

I would be running a full synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oil like Amsoil or Mobil 1 motorcycle 20W50.
I graduated from MMI in May 1994. At that time HD allowed the use of Mobil 1 in a emergency and it wouldn't void your warrenty. And only till you could get to a HD dealership and get HD motor oil. HD, if I remember correctly, didn't marketa synthetic oil back then.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »

I graduated from MMI in May 1994. At that time HD allowed the use of Mobil 1 in a emergency and it wouldn't void your warrenty. And only till you could get to a HD dealership and get HD motor oil. HD, if I remember correctly, didn't marketa synthetic oil back then.

Who were they kidding?  You can run any manufacturer's brand oil if it meets or exceeds the rating requirements of the engine it's going in. Regardless of what the engine manufacturer says. 
Jesus is Lord

biker0051

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 05:54:42 AM »

Who were they kidding?  You can run any manufacturer's brand oil if it meets or exceeds the rating requirements of the engine it's going in. Regardless of what the engine manufacturer says. 
And Mobil 1 was the only one that was close. As I said, that was back in '94. Please, feel free to go buy a new CVO, drain the oil, then put in whatever you like. If, and when, the engine seizes, they will ask for oil samples before authorizing a rebuild or replacement. Not HD oil, claim will more than likely be denied.
Conventional motor oils are designed for LIQUID COOLED engines that MAINTAIN a operating temperature of 180-195 degrees. We have already established here that HD's run hotter than that.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:22 PM »

And Mobil 1 was the only one that was close. As I said, that was back in '94. Please, feel free to go buy a new CVO, drain the oil, then put in whatever you like. If, and when, the engine seizes, they will ask for oil samples before authorizing a rebuild or replacement. Not HD oil, claim will more than likely be denied.
Conventional motor oils are designed for LIQUID COOLED engines that MAINTAIN a operating temperature of 180-195 degrees. We have already established here that HD's run hotter than that.

Nobody is talking about conventional motor oils.  As you say, the majority of them are designed for car engines, not motorcycle engines, regardless of whether they are air or water cooled.  There are other factors that come into play, not just engine temps...Wet Clutches, for example.  And a LOT of bikes run wet clutches common to the crankcase oil.  There are several products out there designed for Vtwin (Harley) motors...Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and Syn 3, just to name 4.  Harley would be hard pressed to prove that Syn 3 is superior to the other three...in fact, it would surprise me if it were not 4th in that list.  Since HD chooses not to put the SAE specifications on their bottles of oil, and their oil is likely low bid, by whatever maufacturer, they would have a hell of a time denying warranty coverage simply due to oil brand.  In fact, there are numerous instances here on the site of people who do not run Syn 3 in their bikes who have had engine related failures covered by warranty.  I can 100% assure that an engine failure on a modern day Twin Cam will NOT be due to inferior motor oil (if properly changed every 5K), but will be caused by inferior PARTS that HD is putting the engine together with.  So that dog won't hunt...

As I am sure you are aware, any vehicle manufacturer that dictates the brand of motor oil you MUST use in that vehicle, must, by Federal Law, furnish the product free of charge.  I don't see anyone getting free oil from HD.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »

My 2cents. As a pilot an fly my airplane with air cooled engine.  Oil temp is very important.  Any increase in temp from a known temp range of my engine is an indication of something amiss from normal.  Its best to find the problem before complete failure. Its usually cheaper in the long run. Just saying I watch my oil temp closely.
Mitch

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »

My 2cents. As a pilot an fly my airplane with air cooled engine.  Oil temp is very important.  Any increase in temp from a known temp range of my engine is an indication of something amiss from normal.  Its best to find the problem before complete failure. Its usually cheaper in the long run. Just saying I watch my oil temp closely.

I agree, in your circumstance a sudden variation from your customary oil temperature is a good indicator of something possibly being amiss.  But on the other hand, how often do you sit in traffic with no air flowing across your engine in that airplane?  Probably not an apples to apples comparison, in other words.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »

Jerry, sometime it can be a long time. Depends on traffic, ,long runways an taxiway. Control towers an priority tragic, etc. I have been up to 45 minutes before I could finally get to runway for take off Sometime pull out of line to get some prop wash from acft in front of me. We also use oil developed for air cooled engines. Used to use aeroshell w 20-50 in one of my ole sporsters.
They use to say it woiuld run for 30 min after oil pump failure. Due to special additaves in the oil. There are times when its about the same, not always thou. HAGD.
Mitch

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »

FYI   Who do you think makes Harley Synthetic oil  :nixweiss:  Amsoil. That's the company that makes the Harley synthetic oil that I read so much bitching about on this web site. 
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

FYI   Who do you think makes Harley Synthetic oil  :nixweiss:  Amsoil. That's the company that makes the Harley synthetic oil that I read so much bitching about on this web site. 

I've always heard that it comes though Citgo.  And Citgo comes through Venezuela, which is a crappy government.  But so are others.  I seriously doubt Amsoil makes it or they would not be doing comparative tests against it, which always show that Amsoil is "better", as well as others.  HD would have big time issues with those tests if they had a contract with Amsoil.

It's low bid, whatever it is...

Not saying that Syn 3 is complete garbage, just that there are better products out there, IMO.  I don't like the fact that HD does not publish the specifications on the oil, like it's some closely guarded secret formula, which is BS.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »

Citgo is the OE for the Harley oil.  Sunoco used to be several years ago.  A company called Champion labs makes the HD branded oil filters.

OE for the various fluids with Mother Harley's name on them is (literally) all over the map.  Just a few examples (and may not all be current):

H-D WINTER FUEL CONDITIONER (DOWANOL DM GLYCOL ETHER) 99889-91A HJS OF WISCONSIN

HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORT-TRANS FLUID 99896-88 HJS OF WISCONSIN

HARLEY-DAVIDSON WHEEL BEARING GREASE 99856-92 HJS OF WISCONSIN

HARLEY-DAVIDSON FORK OIL TYPE B 99880-73 HJS OF WISCONSIN

HARLEY BRIGHT METAL POLISH 99725-89 ROLITE CHEMICAL

HARLEY DAVIDSON FUEL ADDITIVE WITH DURALT FUEL CONDITIONER 99893-91A POLAR MOLECULAR

HARLEY BUG REMOVER, BLACK CREME POLISH 99271-96V APPLE POLISHES

HARLEY DAVIDSON LEATHER CARE 98263-95V APPLE POLISHES

HARLEY DAVIDSON LEATHER CLEANER 99274-98V APPLE POLISHES

HARLEY DAVIDSON SUEDE & FABRIC CLEANER 99272-96V APPLE POLISHES

HARLEY DAVIDSON SPRAY POLISH 99817-99 PETRO CHEMICAL PRODUCTS

HARLEY GLAZE 99701-84 CHEMRITE INDUSTRIES

HARLEY GLOSS 94627-98 CHEMRITE INDUSTRIES

HARLEY SUNWASH 94659-98 CHEMRITE INDUSTRIES

HARLEY SWIRL & SCRATCH REMOVER 94655-98 CHEMRITE INDUSTRIES

HARLEY WHEEL & TIRE CLEANER 94658-98 CHEMRITE INDUSTRIES

HARLEY-DAVIDSON WINDSHIELD WATER REPELLENT 99841-01 CHEMRITE INDUSTRIES

HARLEY-DAVIDSON LEATHER DRESSING 98261-91V PECARD CHEMICAL

HARLEY-DAVIDSON POLY OIL 99860-81 GENERAL POLYMERIC

HARLEY-DAVIDSON CHAINCASE OIL 99887-84 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON HD MOTOR OIL, SAE 10W-40 99816-1040 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON HD MOTOR OIL, SAE 20W-50 99816-2050 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON HD MOTOR OIL, SAE 50 99816-50 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON HD MOTOR OIL, SAE 60 99816-60 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON HYDRAULIC FORK OIL TYPE E 99884-80 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON SCREAMIN' EAGLE FORK OIL (HEAVY) 99881-87 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACING FORK OIL (EXTRA HEAVY) 99909-93R CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON SEMI-SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT 99892-84 CITGO PETROLEUM

HARLEY-DAVIDSON SYNTHETIC SCREAMIN' EAGLE MOTOR OIL, SAE 20W-50 99824-03 CITGO PETROLEUM

HEAVY DUTY CHAIN LUBE - PJ1

DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID 99902-77 DOW-CORNING

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »

According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3, it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the SYN-3, as filed with the Federal Government.
Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.
Composition section:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:50 AM »

SE66, On a personal note I am glad I don't have an oil temp gauge. I went thru St. George Utah last August with my wife and luggage and it was about 115 degrees while they were putting down fresh black top (not the smartest time of year to go thru that area, but that was the only time I could get for vacation). I was on my way home from Canada.I would hate to imagine what my oil temp was. No problems with the bike and when I got to Las Vegas that evening at dusk it was still 107 degrees. I figure if my bike can go thru that and have good oil pressure (which I do) what do I need to know the oil temp for.(BTW my only upgrades are Fulsac stage 1 with 1.75 Baffles)  Just my 2 cents and two beers. Good riding to all you guys this summer. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

rxbob

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »

Rode the colonial parkway last Friday.  No stops or traffic.  Mostly 35 to 45MPH. Stopped for Ferry at Jamestown and oil was 271 with ambient of 68.

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 07:42:24 AM »

My bike runs from 220-255 but have seen it as high as 275 in hot weather and traffic.
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

biker0051

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

still want to run that conventional motor oil? doesn't matter who makes HD oil, it's made to HD specifications, if you noticed it listed a "proprietary blend". Champion makes HD spark plugs, but the Champion plugs don't hold up as well as the made to HD spec plugs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.