Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In  (Read 23966 times)

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In
« on: July 23, 2006, 01:08:23 PM »

Ok, so I'm writing this more as a sanity check than anything--I'm trying to decide how much of what I think I'm experiencing with this change is real, as opposed to in my head.  

I drained the SYN3 out of my bike yesterday and replaced it with Mobil 1 V-Twin.  Also replaced the filter, although both oil and filter had been changed 1500 miles earlier at the first service.  My SEEG now has 2600 miles on it.  I went on a 100 mile ride last night between about 9:30 and midnight--the first time it was cool enough all day to ride, as it's been over 100 degrees in Northern California most of this week.  Here is what I think I observed:

Mechanical Noise:  Harley engines always have had what I can best describe as an "agricultural" type sound.  Without water jackets to muffle it, seems like you can hear most of the internal pieces doing their things, from the whirring of the cams to the individual valve train components.  One of the things I noticed when I got my SEEG was that the motor noise seemed even louder with the 103 than it had on my '91 Evo motor.  I recently replaced the stock short windshield with a 12" Memphis Shades one, and with my head now out of the windblast, the engine noise was much more noticeable at any speed.

With the Mobil 1, it is very much quieter.  The "individual piece" sound I described above is reduced to the point, both at idle and at highway speeds, that I don't feel like I'm listing to parts rubbing on each other--that's about the best way I can describe it.  Perhaps if I put the stock exhaust back on I'd hear more, but this motor is definitely quieter now.

Temperature: I installed the oil temperature gauge last month and have since noted that on 80-90 degree days at highway speeds the gauge tends to stay between 180 and 190.  In traffic, if I sit for a while it will creep up to about 220-230.  On hotter days in traffic it has hit 240.  

Last night, with the temperature between 85-90 at 11 p.m., it stayed right at 180 at highway speeds.  I'm sure being out of the sun had an impact, and I don't think the gauge is reading much different now than with SYN 3.  When I came into town and idled around for a bit, it crept up to 220 or so.  It did seem to take a bit longer to hit 180 in the first instance, though--longer warmup time?

Oil Pressure: The best way I can describe my impression here is that the gauge, while reading within the same ranges with M1 as SYN3, seems to be less sensitive to temperature and rpm changes.  When the bike was cold with SYN3, the pressure at idle was up at 20-30, and would eventually settle down to 10-12 as it got hot.  At highway speeds, it would hang at least above 32, and seemed like it would immediately move to 45 or so when I got it to 4500 rpm and higher.

Now, as soon as I start the bike, even cold, it seems to idle at about 16 and on the highway hangs right in the middle of the gauge (about 32) whether it's completely warmed up or not.  When I jump on it, it will slowly work its way up to 40+ (at 4500-5000 rpm), and then slowly settle back down to about 32 at 2800 rpm.  Small changes in engine speed don't seem to affect it much.  In town, with the bike thoroughly warm, it will idle right at the 16 mark, and as the oil temperature slowly comes up, pressure will drop to maybe 12 (just on the high side of the small mark, one below the 16).  Never went any lower than that, no matter how long I idled--it was still at least 85 degrees ambient when I was doing this last night.  In short, oil pressure just seems less sensitive to temperature and rpm (not completely independent, just less sensitive), but the operating range seems about the same as with SYN3.

Vibration: This is where I'm ready for y'all to tell me I'm nuts.  At highway speeds the quieter engine gives a sensation of less vibration, although it's hard to tell whether it's just that I'm listening to less noise so that it "feels smoother".  Of course, one of the advantages of the "A" engines is that they are less vibration-prone at highway speeds because of the rubber mounting.  

But around town with the engine thoroughly heat-soaked, it feels like a different bike.  The vibration/rocking I had gotten used to with the rubber mounted engine is greatly reduced, almost to the point of elimination.  I had to put my hand on the horn bell sitting at a stoplight because I thought I was seeing things--it wasn't rocking back and forth much, if at all--just a slight vibration.  I'm used to seeing (and feeling) it bounce around at idle.  Between the noise reduction and the vibration reduction, the engine "just feels like it is not working as hard" when sitting at idle--seems like it's easier for it to keep itself going.  Don't know how else to describe it.

I've worked on and around internal combustion engines my whole life.  Built 2 stroke 250 Grand Prix road race engines for the AMA 250 GP National series for 7 years, and won two national championships along the way.  We tried many different types of 2 stroke oils (sponsored by several manufacturers over the years), and each one had its own fingerprint--particularly in how it affected reading spark plugs and piston crowns--perhaps the most critical skill a 2 stroke mechanic needs to develop in order to get the bike jetted correctly.  So I feel like I'm really well aware of the impact different lubricants can make.  I've got to say though, I wouldn't have guessed I'd see, hear and feel such a difference in going from one synthetic oil to another.  

So please, tell me I must be imagining it.  I've half-way convinced myself most of this is in my head anyway.      
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:49:36 PM by jdracing8rbb »
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SYN 3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 01:20:53 PM »

Jeff, quite frankly part of it is very likely a bit of optimistic notice based on paying far greater attention to details after you really did notice some very real changes.  Feel and hear the first good changes, notice other things that also seem good, and then associate them ALL together.  Simple human nature.  Having said that; at oil change #1 my red bike got significantly and suddenly quieter too.  I dropped the Syn3 too.  As much difference as we both noticed losing it from the engine, I noticed even more change losing it from the gear box.

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »

Thank you for the assessment, Don.  I don't disagree.  

I put Heavy Shockproof in the gearbox at the first service as well, and never looked back.  I sort of expected the effect of that change based on everything I had read.  The crankcase oil differences caught me off guard.
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:34:59 PM »

I put Heavy Shockproof in the gearbox at the first service as well, and never looked back.  

That what I use in the gear boxes or rear ends of just about everything I've got.  What did you use for the Primary?

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »

:o Jeez, you guys are scaring me to death, just read the SYN3 topic on the other thread and I wanna get that stuff outa my scoot, problem is I am coming over to sturgis picking my scoot up in Milwaukee next monday as its just cleared customs, does anyone know somewhere around there that will drain my NEW SYN3 off and put me some Mobil 1 V-TWIN in. What should I put in primary and tranny, just done 5 k and I hope its not too late [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 02:31:56 PM »

:o Jeez, you guys are scaring me to death, just read the SYN3 topic on the other thread and I wanna get that stuff outa my scoot, problem is I am coming over to sturgis picking my scoot up in Milwaukee next monday as its just cleared customs, does anyone know somewhere around there that will drain my NEW SYN3 off and put me some Mobil 1 V-TWIN in. What should I put in primary and tranny, just done 5 k and I hope its not too late [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
custardglide (love that name!),

Don't let us scare you to death - I don't think anyone here can state for a fact that SYN3 causes failures.  It is still head and shoulders above the H-D360 dino oil many used religiously for the past umpteen years.  Many of us just feel that one of the higher rated oils like Amsoil or Mobil 1 will give us a little extra protection on these air-cooled V-twins.  If you have fresh oil right now, it would be rather wasteful to dump it. However, if you really want to change over I personally suggest the following:
Engine  -  Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50  (Easier to find than Amsoil)
Primary -  Mobil 1, either V-Twin or MX4T 10w40
Trans  -  Redline Shockproof Heavy, or Belray GearSaver 80w140, or Mobil 1 75w140

These are all products I feel very comfortable recommending, both from test results and from personal experience.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:01:52 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 02:38:45 PM »

At my last service at the dealership I requested Shockproof in the tranny and the writer said "Sure", and circled it... i]Shockproof[/i] is already printed right on their service orders.  I'm gonna ask for Amsoil or M1 at the next crank change.  :)

Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 02:47:37 PM »

Don, right now there's still SYN 3 in the primary, simply because I didn't have time to swap it yesterday.  I'll give M1 a shot at the next opportuinity--I may wait for the 5K service.

Cus, don't panic.  While I think M1VT may be a long term keeper for the crankcase and primary, I wouldn't lose sleep over it between service intervals.  Again, I don't know how much of this was in my head, and I too have been following the other thread on this subject closely.  While I don't doubt that dwgibson posted what he heard accurately, I'm with Ironhorse that we need to be really careful before condemning any product based on unsubstantiated rumor, which the internet allows to be repeated without regard to accuracy.

The only reason I did this change now rather than waiting for the 5000 mile service is that I did the first service on my wife's bike last Saturday and noted that the M1VT was noticeably quieter than the HD factory dino oil.  It got me curious about my own bike, so I did this yesterday, mostly as an experiment.  My observations are, of course, completely subjective.  There's lots of folks running SYN3 without problem, based on what I've read here.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:52:41 PM by jdracing8rbb »
Jeff
Fremont, CA

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »

Hope you're right Jeff, although I suspect that there might be a little optomism there, 'cause I just made the switch to Mobil 1 V an hour ago [smiley=cherry.gif]. Moved it 20' around the garage and I thought the motor was quieter right off the bat. We'll see.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »

Yeah, Screamin', I suspect optimism on my part too.  Please let us know what you find--I'm really interested in whether yours seems to have any less vibration at idle when it's good and warm.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:05:30 PM by jdracing8rbb »
Jeff
Fremont, CA

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »

Custard, et. al.; don't be too terribly worried.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Syn3 is terrible in and of itself.  It's just that there seem to be (considrably) better alternatives.  We did run with dino oils for a long long time.  Actually my take for practical usage is to consider Syn3 in the same vein as I did he dino (for purposes of service intervals).  

I have no doubt, however, that it will give at least some greater heat threshold than would a dino oil.  I honestly don't care for it and would choose not to use given about any other synthetic alternative.  But we have to remember what the gains from the synthetics really are.  They aren't (generally speaking) better protecting in normal use.  They offer us a longer service life (which many choose not to take advantage of anyway) and they offer us higher thresholds of protection against thermal and other types of failure.

I do have specific qualms about using Syn3 in the tranny but that's not because it's synthetic or dino or a "good" or "bad" synthetic product.  I just don't think a motor oil that gets that thin at temperature is the right product for the gear box.  If allowed to choose between "barely good enough" to meet marketing requirements on the one hand and "very good to the task" on the other I'll choose the latter every time.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 09:34:42 PM »

the Mobil 1 V-Twin is 20w50, so whats the viscosity of the syn3, sounds like there's a big difference?  it make sense that the motors would run quieter if ther is. The syn3 is the MoCo's break in oil, right [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  I thought that because it was synthetic it must be good  ;D ;D   Oh well i'm just about ready for my 5k, sounds like a no brainer, thanks guys [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 10:18:02 PM »

the Mobil 1 V-Twin is 20w50, so whats the viscosity of the syn3, sounds like there's a big difference?  it make sense that the motors would run quieter if ther is. The syn3 is the MoCo's break in oil, right [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  I thought that because it was synthetic it must be good  ;D ;D   Oh well i'm just about ready for my 5k, sounds like a no brainer, thanks guys [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Same vis...one's just a hell of a lot better than the other....better additives.

Yeah, that's the ticket....syn3 is break in oil...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 10:26:07 PM »

Engine  -  Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50  (Easier to find than Amsoil)
Primary -  Mobil 1, either V-Twin or MX4T 10w40
Trans  -  Redline Shockproof Heavy, or Belray GearSaver 80w140, or Mobil 1 75w14

Yep - that sounds like the forumla for me to follow!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 11:59:02 PM »

I run mobil 1 20w-50 in the crankcase, mx4t 10w-40 in the primary and mobil 1 75w-140 in the tranny. I have switched a few of my friends bikes to this combo and they have all noticed a difference for the better, especially in the way the bike shifts.
  Oddly enough I have never experienced a problem with "bearing skate".  ;)
MObe

3hawgs

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 01:07:19 AM »

I run Mobil V-Twin 20-50 in all 3 holes and prior to the introduction of the Mobil "V-Twin", I used regular 20-50 Mobil 1 in all my bikes over the past 15 years. I am sold on it as I have torn down engines at over 80k miles and the engines were clean as a whistle with very little wear. I stock 15 cases of the Mobil 1 V-Twin in my shop and am constantly getting guys coming over to have me service their bikes with the Mobil 1. The great thing besides lower engine temps and less wear, is that if you go on a long trip you can take a quart with you knowing that you can top off any of the 3 (engine,trans, primary) if needed.

Harley Syn3 is not a true synthetic and should not be misconstrued as the best oil for Harleys. Mobil tried to get the Harley contract for supplying their oil but Harley refused because they demanded that the Mobil 1 name could not be used and Mobil told them they would not supply it without using their name. So Harley settled on an inferior private blended 20-50 synthetic blend that cost them less money than the Mobil 1 and allowed them to brand it as "Harley-Davidson" oil while at the same time increasing their gross profit.

I have had GREAT success with Mobil 1 and would never run anything else. S&S endorses the Mobil 1 V-Twin as the only oil they recommend which makes a great testimonial for how good this oil really is.

John

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 07:21:58 AM »

I run mobil 1 20w-50 in the crankcase, mx4t 10w-40 in the primary and mobil 1 75w-140 in the tranny. I have switched a few of my friends bikes to this combo and they have all noticed a difference for the better, especially in the way the bike shifts.
  Oddly enough I have never experienced a problem with "bearing skate".  ;)

Hey MObe

I just thought I'd help you move along to Elite status...

So, do you find the change to M1 75/140 help with finding neutral

This is a recurring problem for me even after a 10k service with the primary chain adjusted to presumably the correct setting.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 08:51:34 AM »

I have 35,000 miles on my fltrsei2,,is it too late to switch to mobil 20-50 v-twin??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 08:54:47 AM »

Hey MObe

This is a recurring problem for me even after a 10k service with the primary chain adjusted to presumably the correct setting.

Cheers

Dave

Dave....I'm running the Mobil 1 VTWIN in all three holes, but I also have the Automatic Primary Chain Adjuster.....2600 miles on the bike.  I never have a problem finding neutral, and the gears just click when I shift.  The adjuster is supposed to help with that, but I think the oil helps too.  The part is only 129 bucks...next time you do the primary, consider putting that in.

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »

I have 35,000 miles on my fltrsei2,,is it too late to switch to mobil 20-50 v-twin??
HEADPAN,

It's never too late to switch.  If you're worried about some of the "wives tales" out there about switching to a synthetic causing oil leaks, don't sweat it.  That may have been true in the bad ol' days when the machining of the various parts wasn't very precise and the gasket materials were ancient technology.  With the introduction of the Twin Cam, that is no longer an issue.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »

The Mobil 1 75w140 tranny lube. Are you using the full synthetic ( $15.00 qt. ) or just regular lube    ( $6.00 qt. ) ?

I've been using the syn.
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »

I'm getting ready to switch out before Sturgis, and I'm still confused over what to use in the tranny.  The other thread was saying 75w90.  I think I read to only use the 75w140 for extemely hot regions?  What would be the best choice for the midwest - Chicago/Sturgis?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 12:31:17 PM »

An avid rider of another board has a 2003 Ultra Classic TC88, he drives a lot of miles. The motor finally caved in at 171,000 miles. I talked to him on the phone one day, when it had 151,000 (14 sets of tires by the way) he lives in Illinois, he said he ran Syn3 for 127,000 miles before switching over to Amsoil. So Syn3 can't be that bad, perhaps not as good as others on paper, but the crap is just too pricey for me. I have ran Amsoil, Mobil 1 Extended 15-50 Car Oil (Synthetic) Syn3, and like one poster said, even HD360 Dino stuff is running around in a lot of Harleys. Twin Cam 88's nominal oil temperature is 230F as identified in the service manuals. I have seen 300 on my Ultra running 85-90 mph in 105-110 deseret heat. The CVO 103's and newer 96" and 110" CVO's probably run as hot or hotter...most motor oils in the 20-50 range have a flash point, then a fire point. Most flash points are in the 420 to 475 range. Amsoil's is right in the middle or so...you can go to numerous websites of oil manufacturers and dowload spec sheets and compare for your self. My Amsoil guy disappeared, so I went with off the shelf stuff, but I see a little company by my work that has an Amsoil sign out. Next oil change I'll prob get some 20-50 from 'em. It is good oil. I run Redline Shockproof heavy in the tranny, and still got my old Amsoil 20-50 in the primary. Did pick up some of the new 5 micron Premium Harley Oil Filters from zanotti...the older ones were 10 micron for the TC's.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:33:24 PM by 05ChromeUltra »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:07 PM »

I'm getting ready to switch out before Sturgis, and I'm still confused over what to use in the tranny.  The other thread was saying 75w90.  I think I read to only use the 75w140 for extemely hot regions?  What would be the best choice for the midwest - Chicago/Sturgis?
The old H-D trans lube is 75w80, if I remember correctly.  For most folks, the 75w90 would be more than sufficient.  The Redline Shockproof Heavy that I use doesn't have a viscosity rating on the bottle, but the web site indicates "it performs like a 75w250, but with the internal friction of the lighter weight".  Over the years I've personally used the H-D Semi-Synthetic Trans Lube, Belray GearSaver 80w140, the 75w140 Mobil 1, , and now the Redline Shockproof.  The original reason I started using the heavier lubes (older bike) was that I had noticed an increased shifting effort when hot, and the 75/80w140's seemed to help.  If you don't see an issue during the current heat wave with what you're using now, the 75w90 should be fine and will have slightly less internal friction (drag).

I personally prefer the Redline, but like Amsoil it isn't the easiest thing to find locally (I order a case from a distributor and keep it on hand).  The Mobil 1, either 75w90 or 75w140, is easy to find in most any auto parts store.  The Belray GearSaver is carried by many of the bike shops, Harley and otherwise.  

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:26 PM »

Did pick up some of the new 5 micron Premium Harley Oil Filters from zanotti...the older ones were 10 micron for the TC's.

05...not trying to throw a wrench in the works here, but there is NO way the HD filter does 5 microns...it is a paper filter.  According to a friend of mine who is a petroleum engineer, an oil particle is approx 8 microns, so anything that filters particles smaller than that, even if it were true, would strip the additives off the oil particles and defeat the purpose of having a high quality oil in the system.  So, the 5 micron claim cannot be true, at least so far as the entire filter medium is concerned....it may filter 5% (just a guess) down to 5 microns, so if one wants to claim the lowest number it's capable of filtering, I guess it's not false advertising, but it sure is misleading.  In addition, HD filters do not have a backflow preventer, which means everytime you shut the engine off and the oil drains back through the filter, it dislodges some of the particles in the filter and puts them back in the system, only to be filtered again.  K&N filters provide better protection, and have a backflow preventer...

Just my 2 cents....

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »

a backflow preventer.....

I hear that FireD00d thinks this site needs one of those  ;D  [smiley=drink.gif]   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »

I hear that FireD00d thinks this site needs one of those  ;D  [smiley=drink.gif]   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

There have been several times in my life, after several  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif], when I wished I had a backflow preventer   ;D ;D

TTS Mastertune

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:31 PM »

Amen on the "Drain Back"  [smiley=drink.gif] how ever not to argue with the 5 micron issue, the newest filters I picked up are called SuperPremium 5's..on the box it states 5 micron media, perhaps cellulose (Synthetic) , also says it has the  drainback vulva, err...valve...hehe. They just hit the market about a month ago...

SuperPremium5 Oil Filters

Utilizing advances in [highlight]synthetic media [/highlight]technology, the SuperPremium Oil Filters are TEST-CERTIFIED to provide filtration to retain dust, soot and other solid matter with low internal pressure relief and [highlight]anti-drain back valves[/highlight]. Available in black or chrome.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

63731-99A

SuperPremium5™ Oil Filter

Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution® 1340-equipped models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:02:19 PM by 05ChromeUltra »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 02:09:18 PM »

Good to know they've  improved the filter....I'd still be really suspicious about the 5 micron thing...

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

TTS Mastertune

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »

Sounds like a better filter than they had though, at least synthetic medium and anti-drainback is in place...I popped on one from Fram last oil change, don't know what the hell is in there???  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Low end Frams usually arn't too good of filters anyway. The new Harley one looks pretty good so far..

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 05:22:41 PM »

Who me???? 8-)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »

There have been several times in my life, after several  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif], when I wished I had a backflow preventer   ;D ;D
Been there, done that.... [smiley=sick2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 02:02:28 AM »

Hey MObe

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I find that the bike seems to click into gear a lot smoother without so much clunk. And yeah I think it does make neutral a bit easier to find.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:06:47 AM by mobe »
MObe

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 04:43:08 AM »

Thanks MObe (just one more required... us jalapeno guys got to stick together - right?)

Problem we have in UK is that I don't think we can get hold of the Mobil1 VTwin (engine) oil

Outlets I have checked just have the regular Mobil 1 (for automobiles)

This seems to come in a variety of specifications including 0w-40 and I haven't seen any 75/140 gear oil either.

I think I'll try Mobil Customer Service and see what I can get from them.

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:43:57 AM by UK_Dave »
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »

IF YOU GET ANY JOY DAVE, LET US KNOW, I'M HOPING TO DROP MINE OUT IN THE STATES NEXT WEEK!!!! IT WOULD BE USEFUL TO KNOW IF WE CAN GET THAT STUFF OVER HERE IN THE UK. [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

I am running amsoil in all 3 holes and there filter. Do you all think I should go with the Red Line in Trany

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »

I am running amsoil in all 3 holes and there filter. Do you all think I should go with the Red Line in Trany

BK...this is my personal opinion, based on recommendations from an expert in the area, and some personal logic (which may be suspect  ;) )  I think you are fine with what you have in now.  One line of thought here, at least on my part, is that the vast majority of bikes do not even have three seperate oil systems, even the HD VROD...the same oil that runs in the crankcase lubricates the tranny and the wet clutch.  Many of these bikes (my experience thus far is with a Ducati and also rice burners) run the same type of gears as a HD tranny..straight cut.  The shifting mechanism may be different, but the needs are the same with regards to lubrication.  Many of these bikes put out a lot more HP, and some of them equal amounts of torque, to a HD VTWIN

Having said that, many will disagree and choose to run Redline, Mobil 1, or other brands of heavy gear oil in the transmission.  Of course, this does absolutely no harm.  But, churning thick oil is harder on the running gear than churning something thinner, and in my opinion, cannot help but rob some % of horsepower from what is put down at the rear wheel...may only be 1 or 2 HP, but a lot of people will spend 300 bucks for a dyno run to gain 2 HP.  

My two cents worth.....

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »

BK...this is my personal opinion, based on recommendations from an expert in the area, and some personal logic (which may be suspect  ;) )  I think you are fine with what you have in now.  One line of thought here, at least on my part, is that the vast majority of bikes do not even have three seperate oil systems, even the HD VROD...the same oil that runs in the crankcase lubricates the tranny and the wet clutch.  Many of these bikes (my experience thus far is with a Ducati and also rice burners) run the same type of gears as a HD tranny..straight cut.  The shifting mechanism may be different, but the needs are the same with regards to lubrication.  Many of these bikes put out a lot more HP, and some of them equal amounts of torque, to a HD VTWIN

[highlight]Having said that, many will disagree and choose to run Redline, Mobil 1, or other brands of heavy gear oil in the transmission.  Of course, this does absolutely no harm.  But, churning thick oil is harder on the running gear than churning something thinner, and in my opinion, cannot help but rob some % of horsepower from what is put down at the rear wheel...may only be 1 or 2 HP, but a lot of people will spend 300 bucks for a dyno run to gain 2 HP.  [/highlight]
My two cents worth.....
TC,

I agree with part of your comments - I've also owned quite a few non-Harley bikes over the years, and they had unit construction (same cases and oil supply for engine,primary drive, and trans).  The difference between them and a Harley is that they were designed from day one to use a common oil supply, with materials, clearances, etc. appropriate for that system.  Harley's, at least Big Twins, were designed as separate units with separate oil supplies, and the MoCo required different lubes for the engine and the trans until just recently.

A common misconception is that gear oils are "thicker" than motor oils.  This comes from the two different rating systems in place for the two products.  If you compare the actual kinematic viscosity in centistokes @ 100°C of a 50 wt motor oil and a 90 wt gear oil, you will find that they are very close.  The real difference is the type of additives.  Gear oils tend to have more extreme pressure additives and higher shear resistance, among other things.  

Jerry

Some examples:

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Motor Oil   -  17.7 centistokes @ 100°C (212°F)

Mobil 1 75w90 Gear Lube            -   15.2 centistokes @ 100°C

Mobil 1 75w140 Gear Lube           -  25.3 centistokes @ 100°C

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

GRC,

Thanks Jerry for the centistokes explanation.  I found that to be very informative.

Interesting as well that the motor oil has a viscosity rating just above the 90wt gear lube.  Thanks again for the example.  I knew that was what I was feeling when the Mob1 guy had the demo machine you crank, but how do you explain that to someone?  Of course that was comparing motor oil to synthetic, but same principal was demonstrated.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 05:13:45 PM »

TC,

I agree with part of your comments - I've also owned quite a few non-Harley bikes over the years, and they had unit construction (same cases and oil supply for engine,primary drive, and trans).  The difference between them and a Harley is that they were designed from day one to use a common oil supply, with materials, clearances, etc. appropriate for that system.  Harley's, at least Big Twins, were designed as separate units with separate oil supplies, and the MoCo required different lubes for the engine and the trans until just recently.

A common misconception is that gear oils are "thicker" than motor oils.  This comes from the two different rating systems in place for the two products.  If you compare the actual kinematic viscosity in centistokes @ 100°C of a 50 wt motor oil and a 90 wt gear oil, you will find that they are very close.  The real difference is the type of additives.  Gear oils tend to have more extreme pressure additives and higher shear resistance, among other things.  

Jerry

Some examples:

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Motor Oil   -  17.7 centistokes @ 100°C (212°F)

Mobil 1 75w90 Gear Lube            -   15.2 centistokes @ 100°C

Mobil 1 75w140 Gear Lube           -  25.3 centistokes @ 100°C

Jerry,  I stand corrected, sir....I did at least admit that my logic was suspect  ;)  I appreciate your post.  Out of personal curiousity, what, if anything, changed in the HD tranny's from the point at which they were recommending gear oil, to the point at which they began to recommend syn3 in all holes?  I ask this in all seriousness, as this is my first HD in many, many moons...so many moons, in fact, that the motor I was running was a panhead.  This is why I made contact with the friend at Mobil (no, I'm not getting free oil, guys  ;D), and asked him a million questions about what to use, where to use it, etc...I am fanatical about keeping my cars, trucks, outboards, etc maintained, and believe a few extra bucks to use the best possible product is well worth the investment, so do a lot of research/question asking about this kind of stuff.  Coming from a background of growing up around my granddaddy's gas station, working on my own old cars out of necessity, and 18 + years in the heavy commercial HVAC industry (1K and up ton chillers, etc), I always enjoy hearing what someone in the know has to say.  Thanks!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »

..........................................................  Out of personal curiousity, [highlight]what, if anything, changed in the HD tranny's from the point at which they were recommending gear oil, to the point at which they began to recommend syn3 in all holes[/highlight]?.................................................... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
TC,

That, my friend, is the 64,000 dollar question. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  The regular (non-CVO) shop manuals still call for the semi-synthetic trans lube, and I have not found any information anywhere indicating where H-D changed materials, design, whatever in the trans to account for the difference.  All I can guess is that the SYN3 product, like the Amsoil and Mobil 1 V-Twin, has additional additives for gear wear that were not in the HD360 oil.  With only a guess, rather than facts, to base a decision on, I choose to use and recommend gear oil.  I know it made a big difference in sound and feel when I changed from SYN3 to Redline at the 1k service, especially when hot.

Jerry

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

For free lubrication info go to www.lubricantsuniversity.com. Don't know how to do a hot link (except on the BBQ)

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 05:03:16 AM »

I am running amsoil in all 3 holes  

Hee Hee Hee  [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
 [smiley=worthless.gif]
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »

wow .. I havnt picked up the jest and want to swap the lube even for break in. i have used the top amsoil products in all my engines for years. Been a dealer for 7 years and use the amsoil gear oil in the vtx back. thier filters are hi end wix and worth it also. I use a 5 micron filter for the racor diesel fuel on all the big yachts and most diesel. would like to see the flow rate thru one with the 20-50 amsoil . anyone know who makes the piston rings for the 110? i have 30 yrs fixing exotic cage engines as shop owner and cringes with any "agricultural" engine noises. boy after all the syn3 hype they push  mo co has some bean pile i bet. :-?
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »

wow .. I havnt picked up the jest and want to swap the lube even for break in. i have used the top amsoil products in all my engines for years. Been a dealer for 7 years and use the amsoil gear oil in the vtx back. thier filters are hi end wix and worth it also. I use a 5 micron filter for the racor diesel fuel on all the big yachts and most diesel. would like to see the flow rate thru one with the 20-50 amsoil . anyone know who makes the piston rings for the 110? i have 30 yrs fixing exotic cage engines as shop owner and cringes with any "agricultural" engine noises. boy after all the syn3 hype they push  mo co has some bean pile i bet. :-?

ESJ, as you have seen in the threadand there are other threads on the subject as well, Syn 3 is not the fave of many here.

You know the positives of the Amsoil so you are set. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

If you want to see the other threads, here are two:http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1153140454/0  

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147726000/0  

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:10:34 PM by Rjob749 »

DHTDHT

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 06:08:22 PM »

Regarding the choice of oil and engine noise, it is a general observation that in all motorcycles (not just HD) that synthetics actually increase engine noise due to their lower viscosity.  A thicker oil has sound damping properties.

On another issue, I have been reading lately that Mobil-1 is no longer fully synthetic.  A few years ago Mobil-1 sued another manufacturer because the competitor was calling their product synthetic, when it was not.  The competitor prevailed because, as I understand it, their product performed as well as a full synthetic, and had enough modification to the base oil that it could be considered synthetic.  Shortly afterwards, Mobil-1, having lost the suit, stopped using fully synthetic in their products!  If my memory serves me, the only two readily available true synthetics are Redline and Amsoil. In BMW bikes, in a side-by-side comparison, their own "synthetic" formulation proved better than Mobil-1 V-twin.  This was not a study by BMW, but by an independent group of enthusiasts.  I have used Mobil-1 V-twin on all of my bikes up until now, and have had no complaints, but I am now suspicious of their new formulation.

Redline makes 20-60 weight for "Air-cooled American V-twins."  I'll be trying this out next week. The heavier weight makes sense for the '07 bikes that are running hotter.  

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2006, 10:40:41 PM »

Regarding the choice of oil and engine noise, it is a general observation that in all motorcycles (not just HD) that [highlight]synthetics actually increase engine noise due to their lower viscosity[/highlight].  A thicker oil has sound damping properties.

On another issue, I have been reading lately that Mobil-1 is no longer fully synthetic.  A few years ago Mobil-1 sued another manufacturer because the competitor was calling their product synthetic, when it was not.  The competitor prevailed because, as I understand it, their product performed as well as a full synthetic, and had enough modification to the base oil that it could be considered synthetic.  Shortly afterwards, Mobil-1, having lost the suit, stopped using fully synthetic in their products!  If my memory serves me, the only two readily available true synthetics are Redline and Amsoil. In BMW bikes, in a side-by-side comparison, their own "synthetic" formulation proved better than Mobil-1 V-twin.  This was not a study by BMW, but by an independent group of enthusiasts.  I have used Mobil-1 V-twin on all of my bikes up until now, and have had no complaints, but I am now suspicious of their new formulation.

Redline makes 20-60 weight for "Air-cooled American V-twins."  I'll be trying this out next week. The heavier weight makes sense for the '07 bikes that are running hotter.  
DHT,

Hate to be disagreeable, but viscosity has nothing to do with synthetic / non-synthetic.  A SAE 50 synthetic has the same viscosity as a SAE 50 dino oil at the specified test temperature (100°C).  

BTW - the following is from the current product data sheet for Mobil 1 V-Twin:
------------------
[highlight]Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils are formulated with 100 percent synthetic fluids[/highlight]. The unique, synthetic structure of the Mobil 1 Motorcycle formulations enable them to offer advantages well beyond conventional motorcycle oils of similar viscosities. For example, conventional base oils change viscosity as the temperature changes, much more so than synthetic fluids. This characteristic forces manufacturers of conventional, multigrade motorcycle oils to use additive thickeners which will help the oil maintain its viscosity as temperature increases. These thickeners can shear down and lose their thickening capacity in an operating engine or transmission. Synthetic fluids do not require much thickener to achieve a multigrade viscosity rating and, in some cases, do not require any thickener. Hence, synthetic formulations will provide a more shear stable, protective oil film for engine bearings, piston rings, transmission gears, etc. than will a conventional oil of a similar viscosity grade.

All three Mobil 1 Motorcycle formulations offer excellent flow characteristics at low temperatures to reduce engine wear at start-up, and outstanding resistance to oxidation and/or volatilization at high temperatures, both of which degrade the oil. Further, the Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils provide outstanding protection against engine wear under high-temperature, high engine speed conditions. Each of the Mobil 1 Motorcycle product formulations have been optimized to meet the unique performance characteristics demanded by motorcycle engines and thus, provide an even higher level of performance and protection for motorcycle engines than the Mobil 1 Automotive engine oils.
-----------------

Jerry

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2006, 11:15:49 PM »

Thanks Jerry

I just went to Mobile1 on my 17,500 service. i haven't noticed any quieter of an engine...I guess it woud help if I turn my radio down. ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

DHTDHT

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »

Hey Jerry, it's okay to disagree!  You are correct that being synthetic does not necessarily mean lower viscosity, however, most synthetics happen to be less viscous in the lower temps.  Just pour some Mobile 1 into your bike, it is much thinner than conventional oil. Yes, I know that is at low temperature...but between startup and full warmup, you will certianly perceive a louder engine with synthetic.  I appreciate Mobil 1's plug, but remember, they lost their law suit based upon the use of the word "synthetic."  Synthetic, as I understand it, no longer means synthetic as long as it functions in tests as well as synthetic and the molecules have been modified by man...not necessarily synthesized by man, but modified.  I could be very wrong on this, but it is what I have been reading lately.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 08:18:21 PM by DHTDHT »

HuskyDavidson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »

:jack:

My 2001 Screaming Eagle RoadGlide

Using syn3 didn't shift well. Motor seem noisy.

Put Mobil1 through out, bike shifted well even when hot,
Motor ran more quiet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:12:41 AM by HuskyDavidson »

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 09:04:18 PM »

Regarding the choice of oil and engine noise, it is a general observation that in all motorcycles (not just HD) that synthetics actually increase engine noise due to their lower viscosity.  A thicker oil has sound damping properties.

On another issue, I have been reading lately that Mobil-1 is no longer fully synthetic.  A few years ago Mobil-1 sued another manufacturer because the competitor was calling their product synthetic, when it was not.  The competitor prevailed because, as I understand it, their product performed as well as a full synthetic, and had enough modification to the base oil that it could be considered synthetic.  Shortly afterwards, Mobil-1, having lost the suit, stopped using fully synthetic in their products!  If my memory serves me, the only two readily available true synthetics are Redline and Amsoil. In BMW bikes, in a side-by-side comparison, their own "synthetic" formulation proved better than Mobil-1 V-twin.  This was not a study by BMW, but by an independent group of enthusiasts.  I have used Mobil-1 V-twin on all of my bikes up until now, and have had no complaints, but I am now suspicious of their new formulation.

Redline makes 20-60 weight for "Air-cooled American V-twins."  I'll be trying this out next week. The heavier weight makes sense for the '07 bikes that are running hotter. 

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead I'll throw in a little more information on this one.  Everyone loves an oil thread.

Mobil 1 has always been a true synthetic using a PAO Group IV base stock.  The legal issue that is referred to was another large global lubricant company taking a shortcut and devaluing the technology and marketing efforts by companies that were using "True" synthetic basestocks.  A judge that has no idea about lubricants said they can call theirs a synthetic because they refined it more and was a Group III instead of a II+. 

By the way Amsoil buys their PAO synthetic base stock from Mobil.  Amsoil is a great balanced and blended oil with unlimited viscosities and formulations.  The only issue I ever see with Amsoil is that there's a lot of people selling it that have no clue what they are really selling and misrepresenting the product and it's capabilities.  What you don't read about is all the smoked motors because someone drank the kool aid read that they can extend their drains and even triple their miles between oil changes.  You still need to check your oil, still need to change the filter that is catching the suspended particles and soot, and you cannot run extended drains without a good oil analysis program and the ability to read the results properly when you get them. 

I have spent years in the lubricant field and now own an oil analysis lab.  I've seen the best and the worst of it all.

Red Line is a great product from the latest testing that I've been doing with customer that is switching everything to Red Line.  There's a lot of junk oil on the market but most of the nationally and global brands are good as long as they meet the specification of the manufacturer.  Some oils just barely meet the spec while others far exceed the specification.
2015 CVO Limited

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »

Thanks for the post RAINEY - interesting read with some astute observations...  :2vrolijk_21:

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »

Tribology really makes my day.  :sunny:
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »

So if Redline is 20w60 oil compared to the 20w50 of Mobile one is it any better or different in use.  I had a 120 T man motor in my 06 street glide that kept eating starters with its 11.3 compression ratio even with compression releases and the HD tech wondered out loud if the Redline 20/60 I was running had anything to do with the difficult starting issue.  Just throwing that out there for discussion as I just changed my 15 CVO SG over to Mobile one V twin oil. 

joshcobra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »

I'm wondering if this is the cause of the issue I am having with my 14 breakout. I noticed a change in the sound of the exhaust one day just before the 1k service. Right after the service the sound was back just as it should be. Sounded amazing again, just like a Harley should. Then a week after my 1k service the exhaust note changed again, it went back to a raspy higher pitch rather than the deep thump that we usually hear. It's been driving me absolutely nuts. I finally took it into the dealer to have them trace down what the issue is, no loss of power, just a change in noise. I had them use oem/factory specified oil which is gong to be the Harley synthetic. I'll swap to Mobil 1 and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »

Personally, I would choose a good dino oil over Synth3.  I changed years ago in my '99 FLHTCI and noticed an immediate difference.  The difference was more profound at the time than switching from dino to synth3 to begin with.  From all accounts I have seen, all legitimate sources, synth3 is the worst of all the synthetics, and may, in fact, not be as good as a good dino oil.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »

Hey Jerry, it's okay to disagree!  You are correct that being synthetic does not necessarily mean lower viscosity, however, most synthetics happen to be less viscous in the lower temps.  Just pour some Mobile 1 into your bike, it is much thinner than conventional oil. Yes, I know that is at low temperature...but between startup and full warmup, you will certianly perceive a louder engine with synthetic.  I appreciate Mobil 1's plug, but remember, they lost their law suit based upon the use of the word "synthetic."  Synthetic, as I understand it, no longer means synthetic as long as it functions in tests as well as synthetic and the molecules have been modified by man...not necessarily synthesized by man, but modified.  I could be very wrong on this, but it is what I have been reading lately.

Mobil1 had a formula change a few years ago due to EPA restrictions and drastically lowered their zinc component which is for help in engine wear.  The VTwin formula still ahs the higher zinc, which is why I use it.  I wonder if that could be the formulation change you are referring to.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2015, 11:45:32 PM »

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead I'll throw in a little more information on this one.  Everyone loves an oil thread.

Mobil 1 has always been a true synthetic using a PAO Group IV base stock.  The legal issue that is referred to was another large global lubricant company taking a shortcut and devaluing the technology and marketing efforts by companies that were using "True" synthetic basestocks.  A judge that has no idea about lubricants said they can call theirs a synthetic because they refined it more and was a Group III instead of a II+. 

By the way Amsoil buys their PAO synthetic base stock from Mobil.  Amsoil is a great balanced and blended oil with unlimited viscosities and formulations.  The only issue I ever see with Amsoil is that there's a lot of people selling it that have no clue what they are really selling and misrepresenting the product and it's capabilities.  What you don't read about is all the smoked motors because someone drank the kool aid read that they can extend their drains and even triple their miles between oil changes.  You still need to check your oil, still need to change the filter that is catching the suspended particles and soot, and you cannot run extended drains without a good oil analysis program and the ability to read the results properly when you get them. 

I have spent years in the lubricant field and now own an oil analysis lab.  I've seen the best and the worst of it all.

Red Line is a great product from the latest testing that I've been doing with customer that is switching everything to Red Line.  There's a lot of junk oil on the market but most of the nationally and global brands are good as long as they meet the specification of the manufacturer.  Some oils just barely meet the spec while others far exceed the specification.

Nice to hear some info from a professional that is in the business but no vested interest in a particular brand.

My personal view is this.  I don't buy into the whole extended interval thing as I haven't ever gone the route of having my oil tested.  Not saying I wouldn't, just doesn't seem a reasonable expense when we are talking about 4 quarts every 5k miles.  Now if I was running an engine with considerably more capacity, and therefore expense in changing, I would certainly consider it.  I personally have no preference among the top brands.  I will buy Amsoil, Mobil 1, or any other name brand motorcycle formulation.  I stick with the MC formulas because of my previous post concerning the zinc in the formulations.  I could be wrong about it, but that is the way I operate at this point in time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 21 queries.