Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In  (Read 23965 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 05:22:41 PM »

I hear that FireD00d thinks this site needs one of those  ;D  [smiley=drink.gif]   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .
Who me???? 8-)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »

There have been several times in my life, after several  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif], when I wished I had a backflow preventer   ;D ;D
Been there, done that.... [smiley=sick2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 02:02:28 AM »

Hey MObe

I just thought I'd help you move along to Elite status...

So, do you find the change to M1 75/140 help with finding neutral

This is a recurring problem for me even after a 10k service with the primary chain adjusted to presumably the correct setting.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I find that the bike seems to click into gear a lot smoother without so much clunk. And yeah I think it does make neutral a bit easier to find.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:06:47 AM by mobe »
MObe

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 04:43:08 AM »

Thanks MObe (just one more required... us jalapeno guys got to stick together - right?)

Problem we have in UK is that I don't think we can get hold of the Mobil1 VTwin (engine) oil

Outlets I have checked just have the regular Mobil 1 (for automobiles)

This seems to come in a variety of specifications including 0w-40 and I haven't seen any 75/140 gear oil either.

I think I'll try Mobil Customer Service and see what I can get from them.

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:43:57 AM by UK_Dave »
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »

IF YOU GET ANY JOY DAVE, LET US KNOW, I'M HOPING TO DROP MINE OUT IN THE STATES NEXT WEEK!!!! IT WOULD BE USEFUL TO KNOW IF WE CAN GET THAT STUFF OVER HERE IN THE UK. [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

I am running amsoil in all 3 holes and there filter. Do you all think I should go with the Red Line in Trany

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »

I am running amsoil in all 3 holes and there filter. Do you all think I should go with the Red Line in Trany

BK...this is my personal opinion, based on recommendations from an expert in the area, and some personal logic (which may be suspect  ;) )  I think you are fine with what you have in now.  One line of thought here, at least on my part, is that the vast majority of bikes do not even have three seperate oil systems, even the HD VROD...the same oil that runs in the crankcase lubricates the tranny and the wet clutch.  Many of these bikes (my experience thus far is with a Ducati and also rice burners) run the same type of gears as a HD tranny..straight cut.  The shifting mechanism may be different, but the needs are the same with regards to lubrication.  Many of these bikes put out a lot more HP, and some of them equal amounts of torque, to a HD VTWIN

Having said that, many will disagree and choose to run Redline, Mobil 1, or other brands of heavy gear oil in the transmission.  Of course, this does absolutely no harm.  But, churning thick oil is harder on the running gear than churning something thinner, and in my opinion, cannot help but rob some % of horsepower from what is put down at the rear wheel...may only be 1 or 2 HP, but a lot of people will spend 300 bucks for a dyno run to gain 2 HP.  

My two cents worth.....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »

BK...this is my personal opinion, based on recommendations from an expert in the area, and some personal logic (which may be suspect  ;) )  I think you are fine with what you have in now.  One line of thought here, at least on my part, is that the vast majority of bikes do not even have three seperate oil systems, even the HD VROD...the same oil that runs in the crankcase lubricates the tranny and the wet clutch.  Many of these bikes (my experience thus far is with a Ducati and also rice burners) run the same type of gears as a HD tranny..straight cut.  The shifting mechanism may be different, but the needs are the same with regards to lubrication.  Many of these bikes put out a lot more HP, and some of them equal amounts of torque, to a HD VTWIN

[highlight]Having said that, many will disagree and choose to run Redline, Mobil 1, or other brands of heavy gear oil in the transmission.  Of course, this does absolutely no harm.  But, churning thick oil is harder on the running gear than churning something thinner, and in my opinion, cannot help but rob some % of horsepower from what is put down at the rear wheel...may only be 1 or 2 HP, but a lot of people will spend 300 bucks for a dyno run to gain 2 HP.  [/highlight]
My two cents worth.....
TC,

I agree with part of your comments - I've also owned quite a few non-Harley bikes over the years, and they had unit construction (same cases and oil supply for engine,primary drive, and trans).  The difference between them and a Harley is that they were designed from day one to use a common oil supply, with materials, clearances, etc. appropriate for that system.  Harley's, at least Big Twins, were designed as separate units with separate oil supplies, and the MoCo required different lubes for the engine and the trans until just recently.

A common misconception is that gear oils are "thicker" than motor oils.  This comes from the two different rating systems in place for the two products.  If you compare the actual kinematic viscosity in centistokes @ 100°C of a 50 wt motor oil and a 90 wt gear oil, you will find that they are very close.  The real difference is the type of additives.  Gear oils tend to have more extreme pressure additives and higher shear resistance, among other things.  

Jerry

Some examples:

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Motor Oil   -  17.7 centistokes @ 100°C (212°F)

Mobil 1 75w90 Gear Lube            -   15.2 centistokes @ 100°C

Mobil 1 75w140 Gear Lube           -  25.3 centistokes @ 100°C

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

GRC,

Thanks Jerry for the centistokes explanation.  I found that to be very informative.

Interesting as well that the motor oil has a viscosity rating just above the 90wt gear lube.  Thanks again for the example.  I knew that was what I was feeling when the Mob1 guy had the demo machine you crank, but how do you explain that to someone?  Of course that was comparing motor oil to synthetic, but same principal was demonstrated.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 05:13:45 PM »

TC,

I agree with part of your comments - I've also owned quite a few non-Harley bikes over the years, and they had unit construction (same cases and oil supply for engine,primary drive, and trans).  The difference between them and a Harley is that they were designed from day one to use a common oil supply, with materials, clearances, etc. appropriate for that system.  Harley's, at least Big Twins, were designed as separate units with separate oil supplies, and the MoCo required different lubes for the engine and the trans until just recently.

A common misconception is that gear oils are "thicker" than motor oils.  This comes from the two different rating systems in place for the two products.  If you compare the actual kinematic viscosity in centistokes @ 100°C of a 50 wt motor oil and a 90 wt gear oil, you will find that they are very close.  The real difference is the type of additives.  Gear oils tend to have more extreme pressure additives and higher shear resistance, among other things.  

Jerry

Some examples:

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Motor Oil   -  17.7 centistokes @ 100°C (212°F)

Mobil 1 75w90 Gear Lube            -   15.2 centistokes @ 100°C

Mobil 1 75w140 Gear Lube           -  25.3 centistokes @ 100°C

Jerry,  I stand corrected, sir....I did at least admit that my logic was suspect  ;)  I appreciate your post.  Out of personal curiousity, what, if anything, changed in the HD tranny's from the point at which they were recommending gear oil, to the point at which they began to recommend syn3 in all holes?  I ask this in all seriousness, as this is my first HD in many, many moons...so many moons, in fact, that the motor I was running was a panhead.  This is why I made contact with the friend at Mobil (no, I'm not getting free oil, guys  ;D), and asked him a million questions about what to use, where to use it, etc...I am fanatical about keeping my cars, trucks, outboards, etc maintained, and believe a few extra bucks to use the best possible product is well worth the investment, so do a lot of research/question asking about this kind of stuff.  Coming from a background of growing up around my granddaddy's gas station, working on my own old cars out of necessity, and 18 + years in the heavy commercial HVAC industry (1K and up ton chillers, etc), I always enjoy hearing what someone in the know has to say.  Thanks!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »

..........................................................  Out of personal curiousity, [highlight]what, if anything, changed in the HD tranny's from the point at which they were recommending gear oil, to the point at which they began to recommend syn3 in all holes[/highlight]?.................................................... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
TC,

That, my friend, is the 64,000 dollar question. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  The regular (non-CVO) shop manuals still call for the semi-synthetic trans lube, and I have not found any information anywhere indicating where H-D changed materials, design, whatever in the trans to account for the difference.  All I can guess is that the SYN3 product, like the Amsoil and Mobil 1 V-Twin, has additional additives for gear wear that were not in the HD360 oil.  With only a guess, rather than facts, to base a decision on, I choose to use and recommend gear oil.  I know it made a big difference in sound and feel when I changed from SYN3 to Redline at the 1k service, especially when hot.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

For free lubrication info go to www.lubricantsuniversity.com. Don't know how to do a hot link (except on the BBQ)

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 05:03:16 AM »

I am running amsoil in all 3 holes  

Hee Hee Hee  [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
 [smiley=worthless.gif]
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »

wow .. I havnt picked up the jest and want to swap the lube even for break in. i have used the top amsoil products in all my engines for years. Been a dealer for 7 years and use the amsoil gear oil in the vtx back. thier filters are hi end wix and worth it also. I use a 5 micron filter for the racor diesel fuel on all the big yachts and most diesel. would like to see the flow rate thru one with the 20-50 amsoil . anyone know who makes the piston rings for the 110? i have 30 yrs fixing exotic cage engines as shop owner and cringes with any "agricultural" engine noises. boy after all the syn3 hype they push  mo co has some bean pile i bet. :-?
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »

wow .. I havnt picked up the jest and want to swap the lube even for break in. i have used the top amsoil products in all my engines for years. Been a dealer for 7 years and use the amsoil gear oil in the vtx back. thier filters are hi end wix and worth it also. I use a 5 micron filter for the racor diesel fuel on all the big yachts and most diesel. would like to see the flow rate thru one with the 20-50 amsoil . anyone know who makes the piston rings for the 110? i have 30 yrs fixing exotic cage engines as shop owner and cringes with any "agricultural" engine noises. boy after all the syn3 hype they push  mo co has some bean pile i bet. :-?

ESJ, as you have seen in the threadand there are other threads on the subject as well, Syn 3 is not the fave of many here.

You know the positives of the Amsoil so you are set. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

If you want to see the other threads, here are two:http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1153140454/0  

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147726000/0  

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:10:34 PM by Rjob749 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 22 queries.