Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wife's 103 Front Engine Damper?  (Read 2494 times)

oldrocker

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2011 FLTRUSE Fullsac X-pipe, Andrews 54 Cams, Fu
Wife's 103 Front Engine Damper?
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »

My wife's 103 front engine damper bolts and spacers keep becoming loose. These are the bolts and spacers that fasten the damper bracket to the front jug. The right side has fallen out twice. The first time I cleaned out the threads in the head, put in a new bolt, lock washer and spacer using "red" threadlock, and used the recommended torque. after about 5K of riding the same mounting hardware fell out somewhere. I checked the left mounting bolt and that bolt was finger loose. I am going to check the main motor mounts next and replace the damper itself I think. When I put it back together the first time, I didn't notice any excessive engine vibration nor did my wife complain about it. Anyone else had this problem or offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Wife's 103 Front Engine Damper?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »

That's a new one to me.  If the problem persists (or you're concerned it might) put pal nuts on.  Might have to use a longer bolt to get the second nut on to jam with.  But that'd be no bid deal.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »

That's a new one to me.  If the problem persists (or you're concerned it might) put pal nuts on.  Might have to use a longer bolt to get the second nut on to jam with.  But that'd be no bid deal.

Or perhaps use a Nylock nut...  http://www.nylocknut.com/product.html
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »

thay should be checked at every service. being loose is common, falling out is not.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

I assume you're talking about the two bolts that attach the stabilizer bracket to the cylinder head, and not the ones that attach the stabilizer link to the bracket.  If so, the double nut or nylock nut won't help in that case.  It would if you were talking about the stabilizer link to bracket bolts however.

I can't think of many reasons for the two bolts into the head loosening that easily, other than damaged threads in the head that are pulling out or possibly bolts that are bottoming in the holes before the bracket is pulled up tight. Screw them in by hand without the bracket until they bottom and measure the distance from the head surface to the underside of the bolt head and washer.  Compare to the thickness of the bracket and spacer.  If the bolts are bottoming too soon, get shorter ones or add a thicker washer to the originals.  Clean the threads in the head and on the bolts thoroughly with solvent, apply high temp thread locker, and reinstall.

If the threads in the head are slowly failing and pulling out, I guess the fix would depend on warranty status and what you're comfortable with. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

oldrocker

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2011 FLTRUSE Fullsac X-pipe, Andrews 54 Cams, Fu
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »

You got it right. It is the bolts that fasten the bracket to the head (3). The bike is under the two year warranty until May and than extended warranty. This time I am going to let the stealer deal with it so there is a record. I used the high temp thread lock the last time and the threads on the head seemed to be fine, not stripped at all. Cleaned them all out before applying fresh thread lock. I have never found the bolts that hold the bracket on my 110 to be loose and wouldn't consider that normal in any event. I wonder if I will get the old "Yeah that's normal," from the dealer.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »

Let the dealer know you have already had to tighten them and tell him to check the head threads and get them replaced.
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.