Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 12 FLTRXSE vs 12 FLTRX loaded  (Read 6847 times)

Nonpoint

12 FLTRXSE vs 12 FLTRX loaded
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »

I've got a deposit down on a 12 RGC with a big parts list, figured I'd get it all at once and get the benefit of having it all under warranty. I'm coming in around 27K after everythings said and done with parts, labor, etc.

I figured I'm not too far off of CVO prices at that point, so I was interested in hearing from CVO RoadGlide owners about their bikes. Are there things that you dont like, that you would change, is the bike really great stock and you dont feel the need to upgrade or add anything?

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
Re: 12 FLTRXSE vs 12 FLTRX loaded
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »

You can't make a standard RG a CVO RG :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

One point to ponder is resale value.  A standard bike that has a ton of accessories installed will never command the same resale value as the CVO version.  Most accessories carry little if any significant trade-in value; do some comparisons with the NADA or Kelly Blue Book sites if you doubt that.  If this will be the last bike you ever buy, then of course this isn't important.  If you're the type to trade every two or three years, it can make a big difference.

Someone did a comparison a few years back to determine how much it would cost to take a standard Electraglide and convert it to a CVO using all the parts from the accessory catalog that Harley uses on the production CVO's.  You can't duplicate the paint, but you can use one of the Color Shop numbered paint sets as a price comparison.  What you will find is that even if you sell all the takeoff parts on ebay, you will still spend considerably more building your own CVO than you would just buying one from Harley already built.

There is no one answer that is correct for everyone. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sclones

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:23:33 AM »

It will also be cheaper insurance on the CVO. Its almost half of the standard if you put on the extra on the insurance.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:00:20 AM »

I had a friend that wanted a cvo back in 04 really bad but gave up on searching or waiting for one..  So he walked into the local dealer and bought 2004 e/g classic.   put about 10k down and loaded up all parts he could find to make it a cvo.  Gauges. strips on the saddle bag lids, etc.  He always kicked himself for not waiting.  No matter what, it wasn't or ever gonna be a CVO.  And the vin # was always going to tell you what it was.   Get the cvo.  Cheaper in the long run, and much better resale.  He did sell it to another buddy and he can't get 13k for it.  Every piece of chrome on it too..  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:19:27 PM by cvostu »

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »

The  VIN tells it all.. you can certainly take a base bike and try to money whip it .. but the VIN says its still a base bike.. Although you can still put together a real nice bike, it simply wont be a CVO.. When it comes time to sell/trade , its only really worth what the VIN/book says it is.. Try goin to a lending institution and tellin em about that nice bike with all  that add on value ... they aint listening.. Just like fake Rolex's and diamonds.. it is what it is.. AN IMPOSTER.. JMHO..

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »

Here in my info, is a nearly $30K 2011 RGC 103 ci with Power Pak option. After buying it new for just under $20K, I added and/ or changed from chrome/polished to black. It is still a 103. Has SE 255's, SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC(w/K&N washable), Vance & Hines Power Duals, and V&H Hi Output Mufflers and a dyno tune. 93HP and 109Tq. It will run w/ my buddies '12 FLTRXSE, and his has been dyno tuned at same place as mine...High Desert HD. I am really happy with my choice, but everybody is right, u cannot turn a standard bike into a CVO. I really don't plan on selling it for many years so that makes trade in moot for quite some time, my bike is unique, have not seen anything close to it, for a stockish looking bike, it has bells and whistles everywhere!!!!
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Nonpoint

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, I just put a deposit on a skunk :)

can't wait!

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

Great choice!!!! Good luck and ride safe, u will love the confidence it gives u out on the road!! Very sweet!!
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

jcd520

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »

I have tried it both ways and I can tell you -------------I will always buy the CVO from now on. There is just nothing like them . I won't say it is everyones bag ,but it sure is mine! Some people just like the idea of building there own and there certainly is something to be said for that but those CVO bikes are far and away different and worth the money in my view.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »

can't wait!

Nonpoint, What's the ETA for your Skunk??

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Nonpoint

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »

Well first it was 2 weeks, then it was May 10th, now its May 15th...I not quite sure I have confidence in the dealer at the moment.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »

can't wait!

I don't know where you live but my dealer in Ohio has one on the floor for MSRP.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Nonpoint

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »

Part of my problem is getting my trade in there without adding a bunch of miles.  I'm in IL.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

• CVO1: 2012 CVO RGC "Dirty Skunk"
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »

Part of my problem is getting my trade in there without adding a bunch of miles.  I'm in IL.

Call them and start working the deal. They will ask for pictures of your bike and try to work shipping your bike to them into the deal.

I know a guy down here in the Keys that traded in (2) bikes for his '11 CVO RGU and the dealer he worked with from out of town sent someone down to pick his  bikes up at no cost to him and deliver the new bike. Where there's a will there's a way, yes the bikes are hot, yes there weren't a ton of them made, but there's also not a ton of people who qualify for financing or have the cash/trade to buy a CVO outright. And the dealers make more on a per bike basis on a CVO than any other bike. 2012 models are getting to their end, and CVO's go to dealers in limited numbers, the last thing any dealer needs is a left over CVO, will make it hard for them to get another.

If you don't try you will never know.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.