Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Some inexpensive modifications, windshield, Air Def & Frenched Trim Ring  (Read 8408 times)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice

There's a little shop in Morgan Hill, CA, just south of San Jose.  They're called WindVest  Motorcycle Products.  It's a small family run business who've been innovating and designing since 1989.  
http://windvest.com
http://windvest.com/products/products.html

About a week ago I rode down to their shop and tried a couple of the windshields and the 8" Gunsmoke colored one was my favorite.  They were recommended by my neighbor who just bought a new standard '12 Road Glide.  He traded in his (2005 BMW LT)  These windshields are made from high quality polycarbonate and are highly scratch resistant.  This came to around $159.00 with tax.

They didn't ask me to write a review.  It was so nice to be able to try the product before obligating myself to it and they're very nice people.  So far, so good.  I'm happy with how it does not block my view and still moves most of the air overhead.  There is a little bit of buffeting, but I believe that's part of riding...right?

Along with that, I finally ordered the Kuryakyn Dragon Wing Air Deflectors ($99 ) from J&P Cycles.
(Part no. 750-967)  http://www.jpcycles.com/product/750-967

I also ordered the Kuryakyn Frenched Headlight Trim Ring from J&P Cycles (P.N. 3100356) It cost around $30.00 plus shipping.  I needed this to make up for the Truck-Lite LED headlight protruding.  It now looks great!

This is the string regarding the Truck-lite installation about a week ago: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72609.0

You can see what it looked like before the mods below.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:53:02 PM by Eagleye »
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis

It all turned out nice.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

Eagleye,,   Really nice job on your mods.  I have the 8" Windvest on my 04 and the 9" on my '12.  I sit higher up on the new bike, so I went a little taller.  They make , in my opinion , the best windshields. Great service and a really great shield.  I love how the wind goes right over me as I ride and I can keep them lower than a non curved.  I have the truck light on the way along with the JP catalogue trim ring.  I saw you had a good part number so I called it in.  The hd harness kit should be soon as well.  Cant wait to get the light in and be able to see at night time.  Thanks for the info and the great pics.    :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:03:11 AM by cvostu »

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

From the LED headlight string, the LED driving lights will be here by Friday.  I'm not going to be able to install them until next week.  I'll update with the latest pictures then.  

One more shot head-on...

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Eagleye,,   Really nice job on your mods.  I have the 8" Windvest on my 04 and the 9" on my '12.  I sit higher up on the new bike, so I went a little taller.  They make , in my opinion , the best windshields. Great service and a really great shield.  I live how the wind goes right over me as I ride and I can keep them lower than a non curved.  I have the truck light on the way along with the JP catalogue trim ring.  I saw you had a good part number so I called it in.  The hd harness kit should be soon as well.  Cant wait to get the light in and be able to see at night time.  Thanks for the info and the great pics.    :2vrolijk_21:

You're going to like the LED headlight.  The light it throws out is awesome.  I turn on the brights on a dark road and it's like daytime.  Amazing.  It will be nice to see what difference the LED driving lights make.  

The folks at WindVest are great!  I'd recommend them and their products to anyone who asks.  Will they be able to make everyone happy?  I doubt it, but the best they can do is back their products.  And they do a great job at that.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:50:05 PM by Eagleye »
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

i am looking forward to it, but I am going with just the headlight for now..  No passing lamps on this Street Glide as of yet.   I saw a cool light that goes in the turn signals..  the outside is bright white LED and throws out some good light and the center blinks amber when the turn signals is on.. Really cool.  I might try those.. :-\
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:27:02 PM by cvostu »

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

i am looking forward to it, but I am going with just the headlight for now..  No passing lamps on this Street Glide nas of yet.   I was a cool light that goes in the turn signals..  the oiutside is bright white LED and throws out some good light and the center blinks amber when the turn signals is on.. Really cool.  I might try those.. :-\

Yes, I saw those.  They say they're not DOT approved, but guess that doesn't matter unless LEO want's to challenge you on them.  Anyone out there have any thoughts on that?
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

bokat96

• Junior CVO Member

Yes, I saw those.  They say they're not DOT approved, but guess that doesn't matter unless LEO want's to challenge you on them.  Anyone out there have any thoughts on that?

Where was these type of lights seen sounds like what I have been thinking about I just don't want to add driving lights

Musher Mark

• Full CVO Member

Very nice!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback

Nice mods...and thanks for the write-up! I'm considering the headlight and am lookin' forward to the write-up on the spots.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

Link to the LED spots?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member

Looks great Ken and the spots should be pretty cool as well.

Also glad to read about Windvest for the H-D. I have one of their setups on my Rune and it does a pretty good job but not as good as the full size wind screen. Their brackets are top notch but I need to get ahold of them for a taller smoked shield. The stock H-D screen isn't tall enough and I tried the Klockwerks unit but it doesn't really do what I want either. Was thinking about the Liberty screen but I'll consider this option now.

Hope you don't mind me putting a pic of the rune up so you can kinda see what they made for it. I'll delete it and no probs if you want it off of here.

Cheers!
Wayne
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Here's the link to Mill Supplies Ebay post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-LED-4-1-2-passing-lamps-Harley-Phase-7-Truck-Lite-80275-/190653088216?hash=item2c63cf41d8&item=190653088216&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I suggest you contact them directly.   1-800-888-5072  

Ask for John Shega.  I think you can get a better price if you call.

Tell him you saw a review on this site.    
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Looks great Ken and the spots should be pretty cool as well.

Also glad to read about Windvest for the H-D. I have one of their setups on my Rune and it does a pretty good job but not as good as the full size wind screen. Their brackets are top notch but I need to get ahold of them for a taller smoked shield. The stock H-D screen isn't tall enough and I tried the Klockwerks unit but it doesn't really do what I want either. Was thinking about the Liberty screen but I'll consider this option now.

Hope you don't mind me putting a pic of the rune up so you can kinda see what they made for it. I'll delete it and no probs if you want it off of here.

Cheers!
Wayne

No worries from me Wayne!  Wow, those Runes are awesome machines.  That paint looks great!   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:44:38 PM by Eagleye »
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

bokat96

• Junior CVO Member

thanks for the link Eagle

bokat96

• Junior CVO Member

i am looking forward to it, but I am going with just the headlight for now..  No passing lamps on this Street Glide nas of yet.   I was a cool light that goes in the turn signals..  the oiutside is bright white LED and throws out some good light and the center blinks amber when the turn signals is on.. Really cool.  I might try those.. :-\

Eagle this is the light I was referring to...not the passing lamps although these would look great with truck led

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member

Now worries from me Wayne!  Wow, those Runes are awesome machines.  That paint looks great!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks. They call it Candy Black Cherry. Guess you could consider the Rune as Honda's version of a CVO.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:53:47 AM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Okay, finally got some time on the home PC to upload the pictures from the driving light install.  Frankly speaking, I don't see much of an improvemet over the lighting capabilities of the stock driving lights.  But, they sure look better with the Truck-Lite headlight.  The light pattern it thows out (using imagination here) an image like a bird.  Not exact, but graphically.  It's pretty cool to ride on four lanes of freeway headed north on I-280 at 5:30 AM with no other traffic nearby.  The lighting is far superior to the headlight that was on there, by far.  Here are the pics.

Off

Low beams

High beams

Side view with the deep Frenched Trim Ring.  

I'm very satisfied with this purchase and I recommend anyone thinking of upgrading to LED, this is the way to go, for now.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8

Eagleye, beautiful bike.  I'm really torn between the clean look of the stock SG and the function/safety aspect of installing the driving lights.  Thanks for the helpful pics.

What's your impression of the Dragon Wings?  I put them on my SG, and they make a big difference.   :2vrolijk_21:  I'm just not sure if I'll ever get used to the looks, though.   :thumbsdown:  I wouldn't call them ugly, but, well, they're... homely.   :puke: Definitely a function over form item.

Dan

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Eagleye, beautiful bike.  I'm really torn between the clean look of the stock SG and the function/safety aspect of installing the driving lights.  Thanks for the helpful pics.

What's your impression of the Dragon Wings?  I put them on my SG, and they make a big difference.   :2vrolijk_21:  I'm just not sure if I'll ever get used to the looks, though.   :thumbsdown:  I wouldn't call them ugly, but, well, they're... homely.   :puke: Definitely a function over form item.

Dan

Like you, I'm not totally thrilled with the look of the Dragon Wings, but I like that I can open and direct the air where wanted.  I believe they look 100% better than the stock units.  There is a nother option that I didn't see until I hit the 'buy' button.  They have them in a mirrored option, which looks much better in my book.  I would have picked those up, but so be it.  It is what it is for now. 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member

Those look great Ken. Awesome and looking forward to getting mine mounted.
2007 Softail Custom

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

Eagleye,, you can get the new harness that lets you operate the passing lamps with the switch on the lower cap and really light up the road with the ph 7.    I have the same fairing deflectors that come on the CVO ultra on my sg.  Makes a big difference at 80 mph and they are adjustable.  I don't think they take away any of the looks either.  With thos and the deflector down by the tank, my wind tolerance is much better.  Much more comfortable ride and I can always open them when traveling at a slow speed.  :)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Eagleye,, you can get the new harness that lets you operate the passing lamps with the switch on the lower cap and really light up the road with the ph 7.    I have the same fairing deflectors that come on the CVO ultra on my sg.  Makes a big difference at 80 mph and they are adjustable.  I don't think they take away any of the looks either.  With thos and the deflector down by the tank, my wind tolerance is much better.  Much more comfortable ride and I can always open them when traveling at a slow speed.  :)

Right Stu. I ordered one a few weeks ago, but we're told after ordering they are on back order.

It it doesn't arrive in a week, I'm canceling my order.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:48:25 PM by Eagleye »
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

ive seen them hanging all over    i have one on my 04  with the piaa bulbs in all,,  really makes a difference :2vrolijk_21:

Peggers

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5
Re: Some inexpensive modifications, windshield, Air Def & Frenched Trim Ring
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »

Eagle Eye,
Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread, but I have just fitted the Trucklite Phase 7 combination, and now have to deal with the ugly black side of the headlight sticking out all poppy-eyed, like a guy with goiter problem. The part number for the Frenched Headlight Trim Ring from J&P that you lists how's fitment only as far as '08. My bike is a 2010 FLHTCUSE5, would the same part fit my bike?
Can anyone else suggest something - I saw a comment from Twolane about the "visor" trim ring on his Brandywine red  SERK. Will this work with the batwing fairing?
Thanks and regards,
Peggers
Fullsac X Pipe, S&S Stealth Air Cleaner, Cams, Bearings, TSS and Dyno etc.
Phase 7 LED Head and Spotlights, Panacea LED Tail lights & Indicators, Motolites "Forkspots"
George Anderson Tourpak Relocation Kit
Colour-matched Tourpak
Klicktronic Gear Change
LA Choppers Prime Apes
Ward Park Werks Fans
Oil Bud Oil Cooler
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 21 queries.