Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New front suspension ( cartridge type ) from Harley  (Read 14411 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Re: New front suspension ( cartridge type ) from Harley
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »

I guess I have a philosophical problem paying HD an extra $400 to buy the optional cartridges for something they should have provided in the 30k price of our bikes.   Something as basic as ride quality and safety should have been factored into the purchase price.  Maybe slightly less chrome would enable them to install cartridges on day one. 

I have the monotubes on two bikes and love them.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »

I guess I have a philosophical problem paying HD an extra $400 to buy the optional cartridges for something they should have provided in the 30k price of our bikes.   Something as basic as ride quality and safety should have been factored into the purchase price.  Maybe slightly less chrome would enable them to install cartridges on day one. 

I have the monotubes on two bikes and love them.
yeah, but that's just not in their way of doing things....'good enough' or better not best is the way of the MoCo.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:30 AM »

Just ordered them today for my SERG, I will report in when I get them installed...
Alan

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »

i want to do something for my new bike as well..  Really can't see Traxion living in south fla..  we just do have the roads that warrant such an expense. The one time a year I may make it to thr Dragon, I cvould most likely be fine with a less expensive system.  I want to hear more on the new HD set up.  I want to lose the dip upon braking badly.. :-\
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:01:26 AM by cvostu »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 04:27:43 AM »

i want to do something for my new bike as well..  Really can't see Traxion living in south fla..  we just do have the roads that warrant such an expense. The one time a year I may make it to thr Dragon, I cvould most likely be fine with a less expensive system.  I wamnjt to hear more on the new HD set up.  I want to lose the dip upon braking badly.. :-\
Stu, you may be happy with the much less expensive install of the  drop in immulators.  They did away with the 'dip and dive' and some of the 'mushyness' that the heavier glide front end had.  I know that all have not been happy with them, but I am and riders like Reo and others have....for the $$$$ it was a good option to the highend set-up.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »

i want to do something for my new bike as well..  Really can't see Traxion living in south fla..  we just do have the roads that warrant such an expense. The one time a year I may make it to thr Dragon, I cvould most likely be fine with a less expensive system.  I want to hear more on the new HD set up.  I want to lose the dip upon braking badly.. :-\

Hey Stuey... in South Florida - between the straight flat roads and the blue hairs driving 20 MPH - I'm surprised you'd need anything at ALL... not even BRAKES! Just drag yer FEET!  :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »

Yep I fitted them before a 5000km trip . I also installed 13 inch premium on rear .
I liked it , improved the ride quality - especially rear . But you lose slammed look - :-(
Cartridges reduced diving under brakes and big improvement in wallowing through bumpy corners while loaded up and pushing the big girl pretty hard .
I know there are after market options but I wanted to stay HD .

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

You are right Ken.  Just thinking outloud on what I should do.  I know I want traxion.  Oh well. Gives me something to think about.  May do something durin the summer. 

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »

You guys are making me feel better about spending the $$$ on these.  Dealer Charged me 5 hours for the install...
Alan

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »

Put the H-D premium ride cartridges in my cuse7 a couple weeks ago but not had time to ride it much until yesterday.  Did 500+ miles on all kinds of roads - superslab, 4-lane divided, 2 lane US, state, and county roads (some pretty ill maintained).  I can say it is a HUGE improvement over the stock set-up.  Probably not quite as good as the Traxxion on my cuse2 as far a handling when really pushed hard and on curvy roads.  But then again that is not really how I ride.  And my bsr was most pleased with the improved quality of the ride.

What I noticed - front end dive on braking greatly reduced; 'clunk' when braking or hitting a bump is gone; ride quality over rough road is 100x better than stock; overall 'feeling' of being in control when in a curve is greatly improved - did not wallow or wander as it seemed to with stock suspension.

My compairson of it to Traxxion is that Traxxion is like the ultimate 'race' application - tuned for maximum performance.  I think the 'ordinary' ride quality on the H-D set-up is better.  But then again the H-D is on a '12 with the new frame and the Traxxion is on my '07.  In any case for less than 1/2 the price of Traxxion (and that does not count the cost of riding my motor down there to have it installed by them) it is well worth the cost.  Just as shame that the moco does not include it on their top of the line motor.

This new  front suspension along with my Legend air ride which I installed at the same time makes it ride like an entirely different machine.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »

That's good to hear, Jerry.  Sounds like they are comparable to the Progressive Monotubes.  Kind of jacking the thread, but did you find the Legends easier to install with the new frame mounted carrier?  And, were you able to route the wire for the switch internally?  I started to when I had the fairing off, but decided against it 'cause I was afraid I'd mess up the TBW connector pulling an additional wire in there.  If I was changing bars, I would not be as concerned.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »

That's good to hear, Jerry.  Sounds like they are comparable to the Progressive Monotubes.  Kind of jacking the thread, but did you find the Legends easier to install with the new frame mounted carrier?  And, were you able to route the wire for the switch internally?  I started to when I had the fairing off, but decided against it 'cause I was afraid I'd mess up the TBW connector pulling an additional wire in there.  If I was changing bars, I would not be as concerned.
Put switch on left so no TWB issues. But my dealer did the install. I just did not want to get into all that.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »

Put switch on left so no TWB issues. But my dealer did the install. I just did not want to get into all that.
Legends were easier but had small problem with compressor. When test rode had bad vibration and noise. Turned around after one block and diagnosed problem as motor contacting compressor. Was able to move compressor back ever do much and problem solved. Other than that was very easy install.

IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

Legends were easier but had small problem with compressor. When test rode had bad vibration and noise. Turned around after one block and diagnosed problem as motor contacting compressor. Was able to move compressor back ever do much and problem solved. Other than that was very easy install.

Yea, it's a pretty tight fit, but overall, I think it was much easier than fighting to get the compressor/relay assembly under the battery tray, like the old version.  I guess both you and J. Carolyn are happy campers now...it's amazing that HD continues to put such crappy suspension under their flagship touring bike.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »

The HD premium fork cartridges are very similar in performance to the progressive mono tubes.  I had the monotubes in my 09 SERG and the progressive 940 rear shocks.  On my wifes 11 Street glide we have the HD premium cartridges and the progressive 940 rears.  Ride seems the same  between the two bikes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.