Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Scraping Floorboards = Riding Scared  (Read 20352 times)

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
Scraping Floorboards = Riding Scared
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »

I am not a canyon carver, but I am scraping floorboards left and right when making normal turns into parking lots and at intersections.  I came off a Fat Bob with forward controls and never had this issue.  It is so bad that I actually fear (resent) riding the bike anywhere I will be required to lean her over.  I don't mind the scraping a little, but one of these days it may result in an accident.

Since I cannot sell a $30k motorcycle 3 months after I bought it, and I love everything else about it, I need to look into raising the bike up or replacing the floor boards with some that won't scrape.

Has anyone raised bike via a new shock?  I can increase pre load on mine, but that fundamentally changes the ride = not ideal.
Has anyone replaced the floor boards with shorter ones?  They currently scrape at the rear outer edge, so shorter/narrower ones would help.

Thanks!!!

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Scraping Floorboards = Riding Scared
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

I have to say, this is pretty amusing.  I too came from Fat Bob and went to the FLSTSE3.  I love the bike, but the lean angle is definitely reduced.  I just had to learn to not lean as far in some of the corners.  It is primarily as you described, a sharp turn in one direction or the other.  I think the only other option is to raise the bike.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »

My last bike was a softail - and the best way I can describe to take sharper turns is to plan ahead.  You have to work your way through the turn (vs. carving through them), and sometimes your just going to scrape.  The bike is naturally low, so your speed and lean angle will have to be adjusted for the curve to ensure you don't scrape.

Just don't panic on the scrape, and try to adjust your lean angle if safety doesn't come into play.  I have pushed up the floorboards on my softail before, but it was what the conditions called for.  I am not encouraging scraping by any means, it just can happen.

On my Street Glide I can pop through corners much faster, and more stable than on my softail.  Now that I have gotten comfortable on my new ride, I have scraped the floorboards on my new ride.  Kinda surprised me that I could because I feel much higher off the ground than I am compared to the softail.

Lifting the bike is an option, but make sure you can still place both feet flat on the ground after your lift.  Shorter floorboards would be lest costly, just make sure you pay attention to where your boot heal is, or you may melt it a bit.

I miss the softail suspension, and I wouldn't compromise your overal ride experience by stiffening up the shocks.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »

X2 on the comments regarding learning this functional limits of the ConV.  I have one and love it.  Yes you do have to be more careful in turns, but after a few thousand miles it will become second nature to you.  We pick our poison, every bike has its strenghts and weaknesses.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »

Practice, practice, practice. Do some serious time in the parking lot to learn the limits then adjust your speed before going into the curves. Half way through a curve is no place to find out you're in too hot.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »

learn how to hang off - or just take it a bit easier  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »

I can't see where you mentioned what kind of bike you are having this problem on. On my SEUC the floor boards have enough adjustment to them that I wold be scraping hard parts before the boards scraped in the uppermost position. Check your service manual or service manager if you prefer before you change the suspension. Next time you see a police bike notice how high their floorboards are mounted. That enables them to make quick sharp turns without leaving a trail of sparks.

xpanther

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:07 PM »

You could put forward controls on your conv.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »

The answer is....a Ducati   Your being scared will be replaced with chronic back pain!   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Musher Mark

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »

Practice, practice, practice. Do some serious time in the parking lot to learn the limits then adjust your speed before going into the curves. Half way through a curve is no place to find out you're in too hot.

Great advice!

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:38 PM »

You could put forward controls on your conv.

Had 'em on the Fat Bob. Not for me.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »

learn how to hang off - or just take it a bit easier  ::)

I had a Fatboy Lo before the CVO and I got use to the scraping, sure did scare the crap out if folks that ride with ya though,
they were always looking to see who went down, or if it was them . .  :huepfenjump3:

I don't think the bike would handle as good if you raised it enough to eliminate the scraping. Just get use to the new lean angle.

"Rubin' is Racin' - Scraping is Smilin'
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Red12SoftCVO

• CVO1: 2012 Red FLSTSE3
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:27 AM »

I have researched this myself and although dont have the experience that others do riding I found that the FLSTSE3 is lowered 1 inch from the factory and is the lowest soft tail available. I looked into replacing the CVO shocks with standard soft tail equipment, or getting an aftermarket air ride rear suspension. The air ride is about $1800 bucks so this may not be an option but will let you ride from standard soft tail height (1in higher than stock CVO) to 3 inches lower. My wife and I are not thin people so when we both get on with the pre-load cranked up theres not alot of room.

Red12SoftCVO

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 02:51:02 AM »

Practicing in a parking lot is good advice. I spent some time in an open area doing slow manuveres leaning until it scraped just to see how far it would go. That way I'm not startled when it happens.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »

Loosen your floor boards so they will pivot with ease, this will help ensure that you don't "dig in" and high side. Once the boards will pivot the worse thing about it is the screeching scraping noise. The noise always startles my wife, I just don't pay attention to it. Changing the riding characteristics of this bike is not an option for me that's one of the reasons I bought it.

You could take a grinder to the rear edges you would be surprised at how much difference grinding a 1/4" off will make. Your not going to hurt anything by doing so because your going to end up grinding them off anyhow.

There are slimmer and less thick boards to purchase as well and I think I saw a kit to move boards forward somewhere.... maybe Kuryakyn.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »

I am going to look into aftermarket floorboard solutions.  I was looking at the placement of my feet today on the boards while riding.  I have about an extra 1-2 inches behind my heal and about 1-2 inches outside my boot.  Therefore, I could downsize the board at least that much in both directions and still have all or most of my boot on a board.  If I can also find boards that are thinner, it should eliminate 90% of my scraping.

I really think the MoCo could have thought about that a little more.  Almost every test ride I read online mentioned the scraping so I knew what I was getting into.  However, hearing the noise and feeling the bike drag makes the purely academic a scary reality.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »

When U get it to the point (with the smaller, perhaps moved boards) where they are mostly rub proof, when the bike does get leaned farther, the next hit (on my RG) is the solid mounting brackets off the frame that hold the boards... when that happens ,now, almost without the warning U could use with the footboards, U leverage your bike and lift some to all of the weight off the rear tire and this is a crash for some!!!
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Red12SoftCVO

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »

When I brought up the dragging foot board issue with my salesman he told me the same thing dragging the foot boards is nothing to b worried about. I looked at repositioning mine and there are some other items that might drag that won't glide as easily as the footboard. I agree with the previous post this could be a bad idea. I did a little practicing and have not scrapped since not even with the wife on the back. I know how far I can go and to not come into the corners too hot.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

The first couple of weeks I had my 2010 Conv, I scraped the boards on both sides.  slow turns in parking lots that were slopped and at speed on tight corners.  Scared me a little every time and I really didn't want that to continue, so I learned my rides limits quickly.

Over 15000 miles on it now over every type of road there is and I can't remember the last time that I had a reminder to use more body and less bike angle.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »

I appreciate all your responses.  I checked with J&P, Dennis Kirk and others to find a shorter and possibly narrower set of floorboards.  A set of half moon shaped boards from Battistinis looked promising, but they are just as long as stock (12") and are mounted on center, meaning it would actually move the board rearward from the stock mount, which is offset to the front a little.  I could not find a smaller footprint front stock that used the stock mounting hardware.  I did see lots of passenger mini boards that would work great, but I am not sure how to fit those to the current application.

I will check with the dealer when I go in for the 1,000 mile service.  Perhaps they have some ideas.  Other than that, I will just have to adjust my riding style like previous posters have mentioned.  I will also do a little practice to better define the limits.  No sense in worrying all the time.

millmutt

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2007 FXDSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 11:28:28 PM »

I found the scraping quite distrubing. I had previously owned a Deuce and a 07 CVO Springer both with forward controls and rarely touched anything. I first put on Progressive shocks, keep you money in your wallet, not much help if any at all. I then put on forward controls off a FX Softail. Problem solved and I love the bike. I also found the boards were annoying at freeway speeds at certain RPMs, my feet would tend to wander back all the time. The forward controls are a godsend. The seat although was comfortable before is even better now since my body is canted slightly different.

Millmutt 

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »

I found the scraping quite distrubing. I had previously owned a Deuce and a 07 CVO Springer both with forward controls and rarely touched anything. I first put on Progressive shocks, keep you money in your wallet, not much help if any at all. I then put on forward controls off a FX Softail. Problem solved and I love the bike. I also found the boards were annoying at freeway speeds at certain RPMs, my feet would tend to wander back all the time. The forward controls are a godsend. The seat although was comfortable before is even better now since my body is canted slightly different.

Millmutt 

This kind of thinking, as millmutt has done, may be the answer for U, prstaples1911. Someone has done something that will work, other than the dealer, and just keep your eyes open and U will find or create the solution best for U. Good luck, U r now into what I love most about these things, getting function to match or exceed the looks. It is an addiction. I will get treatment, some day... But I have my wife drinking the same coolaid now and we r having too much fun to go cold turkey!!!
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »

Before you change the bike get some practice on it instead. I recommend that you take a Ride like a Pro class. They have training all over the country.

You will feel much more comfortable with the bike after that.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

Before you change the bike get some practice on it instead. I recommend that you take a Ride like a Pro class. They have training all over the country.

You will feel much more comfortable with the bike after that.

Training will always help, but its not going to change physics.  The bike will drag parts regardless of the rider's skill.  Now, it may make me feel more comfortable in the saddle and prepare me for something bad if too much metal drags, but I will continue to look into smaller boards.  I really just need to reduce the length by about two inches.  That will be the first time a man has ever said that.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

Training will always help, but its not going to change physics.  The bike will drag parts regardless of the rider's skill.  Now, it may make me feel more comfortable in the saddle and prepare me for something bad if too much metal drags, but I will continue to look into smaller boards.  I really just need to reduce the length by about two inches.  That will be the first time a man has ever said that.

:'(. You better talk this over with your wife  :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »

Millmutt
Did you find that the Progressive shocks improved the ride on you convertible??

Etudeguy

millmutt

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2007 FXDSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »

The shocks were no improvement in my opinion. The forward controls are fantastic. Here are some details I wrote about the controls in an eariler thread.

I just put forward controls on my 11. Harley makes a kit or you can source it on Ebay like I did. The FX softails fit the FLs.
There are a few potential conflicts with the side stand and brake lever. If you use 2000 to 2006 controls you need the side stand
and brake lever from those years. If you find 2007 and later your existing side stand will work and of course you need a 2007 and later FX brake lever. Any FX shift lever will work. Your existing master will work also. The master will slide off the bracket and if you modify the new bracket like the existing one, pretty minor hacksaw work then you will avoid having to bleed the rear brake. If you want Rumble pegs you likely have to go new at about $100 each. There is no small Rumble brake pad available but I think the Slipstream looks pretty good at $40. Call my if you like for futher details. 303-875-0977

Millmutt

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »

I don't think this is physics. I spent many years of my life as a professional motorcycle factory rider. I today ride a UC with no problems. I can scrape the heck out if it if I want but I don't. (I made a living as a professional racer)

It's all rider skill not the bike. It's your bike and your money but I beleive that you are better of learning how to ride your bike than changing it.

I am still learning every day.

n2mycvo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »

I agree.  :2vrolijk_21: It is best to figure out the balance and capability of your bike in a parking. Better safe than sorry.  :pepper:

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:41 AM »

Im coming off a deluxe which I  believe is just as low if not lower than the Conv. so im use to the occasional scrape but the 1st time it scared the crap out of me

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

12 CVO Convertible Satin Pewter
09 Deluxe Vivid Black-Sold

1998 Corvette 500HP
1970 Chevelle SS454 M22 Rock Crusher

Lennyiti

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »

Millmutt 
could you post some pictures of the other side with the kick stand down and up please? I am looking into doing the same thing maybe. How did it affect your reach to the shifter and brake? Do they feel closer or farther than stock?
Thanks again

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »

The actual floor board may drag a little, but the bracket usually hits first. It took me a while to get use to the lean angle and I still scrape them in the mountains. See the picture of my bracket, the floor board only has a really small scratch on it.

Craig
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 21 queries.