Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 139 T Gates Poly belt-Mid USA #MU-77560 (anyone know if its available?)  (Read 8803 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick

I ordered the belt from American Legends, THEY SUCK!  Terrible communication.  The belt was back ordered early March when I placed my order online.  It took 3 calls and 2 -emails before they replied and told me it was back ordered.  To date, I can't get a return call or any information from them, they SUCK!  Any other vendors or ideas to get this belt.  I have the Falcon belt with my Andrews 30t and all the posts have me freaking out that it's going to break and as dumb luck would have it, I'm sure it won't happen in my driveway!  PLEASE HELP?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:nixweiss:
I got my 139T belt thru Drag Specialities,  but not sure if it's a Gates belt or other.   I would think they (D.S.) could validate the manufactorer of their supply.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White

I ordered one about a month ago from BDL- www.beltdrives.com

It was around $150 shipped, and they had it in stock.

I actually sold my Andrews 31T, and an entire 30T set up, because too many broken belt stories convinced me this is a mod I can do without.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick

after I wrote a nasty e-mail to American Legands, I finally got a response.........imagine that?  surprisingly, they have the belt in stock and asked me via e-mail if I still want it or do i want to go elsewhere?  as much as i wanted to tell them to go FTS, they are about $50 cheaper than anyone else, however we will see if they place the order and send it?  unbelievable, it's hard to understand how some business actually stay in business!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

timo482

• Elite CVO Member

i have become convinced the proper way to do the 30t is to modify the swing arm,

that way it can be reversed - and the belt stays stone stock

its amazing how long the things last now

to

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

Yeah I saw the info on that but I'm not sure I want to do that type of alteration.

Eventually if I build up my engine a bit I'd probably do the Dragos IDS chain drive conversion- about $600, you chose the final drive ratio, and never have to worry about braking a belt.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

twinotter

• Full CVO Member

Yeah I saw the info on that but I'm not sure I want to do that type of alteration.

Eventually if I build up my engine a bit I'd probably do the Dragos IDS chain drive conversion- about $600, you chose the final drive ratio, and never have to worry about braking a belt.
I'm with you on this! After just reading this thread from start to finish, I wouldn't consider anything else. I also wouldn't buy any HD again, especially a CVO POS!!
 My 2001 Dyna has been abused from day 1,700lbs 93 hp for 2 yrs, then supercharged with 125hp for 3yrs, all with the stock belt, 70,000klms. I then installed a S &S T124, geared it 12% taller with an EK chain drive, 28000klms later, no issues, no overheating, no broken parts, no chrome falling off BNB. Harley will have to come along way back before I'd even consider buying another one. The Twin cam was the motor that made HD become a household name, it will also break HD back it they continue to heap this chit on us. I still love my Harley, but have NO use for the new ones.

Cast cranks, cheap bearings, plastic switches that melt because they're too stupid to place a heat shield around it, God, we're back in 1921 again!!!!! My grandfathers 1917 with sidecar was more faithful I think. twinotter

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

I'm with you on this! After just reading this thread from start to finish, I wouldn't consider anything else. I also wouldn't buy any HD again, especially a CVO POS!!
 My 2001 Dyna has been abused from day 1,700lbs 93 hp for 2 yrs, then supercharged with 125hp for 3yrs, all with the stock belt, 70,000klms. I then installed a S &S T124, geared it 12% taller with an EK chain drive, 28000klms later, no issues, no overheating, no broken parts, no chrome falling off BNB. Harley will have to come along way back before I'd even consider buying another one. The Twin cam was the motor that made HD become a household name, it will also break HD back it they continue to heap this chit on us. I still love my Harley, but have NO use for the new ones.

Cast cranks, cheap bearings, plastic switches that melt because they're too stupid to place a heat shield around it, God, we're back in 1921 again!!!!! My grandfathers 1917 with sidecar was more faithful I think. twinotter

I hear ya, but in fairness to HD, this time it is their OEM part that is not the cause of the failure; in fact it is the one component that people are trying to retain in order to do this mod, since it appears the OEM belt is bulletproof unlike the aftermarket choices.

I really wanted to figure out exactly what was the cause of the issue and which particular belt was the one that was breaking on guys- I started sort of a survey/Q&A thread in which several questions were asked of those who suffered from broken belts, with the goal being finding out what the common denominator was. Unfortunately, not many were interested in playing along, so I don't think we will ever know with certainty why these belts are breaking.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

twinotter

• Full CVO Member

There have been some reports of breaking stock belts too. If they where broke by drag race starts etc, I have no sympathy for the owner.
 The after,market belts reports show that these belts need frequent adjustment. If the belt stretches, even a little, it will run up on the sprocket cogs, eventuall trying . to go over the top. No belt will stand that.
I do believe that the stock belt is Barely adequate, it will break too if abused or misadjusted.  the 139 aftermarket chit is just that, chit. The belt cannot be allowed to stretch, if it does, it will break.
Put a chain on it and be done. My EK has been adjusted twice in 29000klms, thats when it got tires. 126HP/133T every chance I get, no worries. twinotter ;D

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:drink:
Short of doing (or) trying to do a wheelie,  I have done many full throttle starts from a stop lite...sometimes with a passenger and/or baggage.  This has been with 4 different Harleys since 1993 and no adjustments and no belt problems.   Current bike is a 110 SE Ultra and no problems yet since going to a 30T trans sprocket and a Drag Specialities 139T belt..............whomever manufactored it. :nixweiss:

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick

I have the Drag Specialties belt which is a Falcon belt.  There has been several reports of that belt breaking 6,000 miles and up?  I have no idea what kind of riding the folks that had that problem do, me myself, I rarely have a passenger and if I gun it, it's never from a stand still which is the high point of the stress that's placed on a belt.  Nobody has complained or reported the Gates belt breaking so to be safe, I'll switch the belts and carry the Falcon in my saddlebag as a precaution?  The 30t makes a big enough difference that it makes me not want to give it up so i guess i will have to keep an eye on it every time i clean my bike?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

I have the Drag Specialties belt which is a Falcon belt.  There has been several reports of that belt breaking 6,000 miles and up?  I have no idea what kind of riding the folks that had that problem do, me myself, I rarely have a passenger and if I gun it, it's never from a stand still which is the high point of the stress that's placed on a belt.  Nobody has complained or reported the Gates belt breaking so to be safe, I'll switch the belts and carry the Falcon in my saddlebag as a precaution?  The 30t makes a big enough difference that it makes me not want to give it up so i guess i will have to keep an eye on it every time i clean my bike?

:-\  I'm confused with the last few sentences in your post.  Since it seems we are (both) stuck with a Falcon belt (139T as I recall)........cause HD and/or Gates didn't make one (in the one inch wide) mode.   So if ya like the better performance of the 30T sprocket,  how are ya gonna.........."switch belts and carry the falcon i your saddlebag as a precaution". :nixweiss:

sprung09

Just my two cents had the 30 tooth sprocket and spc 139 1 belt from Steve and it lasted three months. I am done with this modification. three belts and an lot of down time.Changed back to stock pulley and belt and gained almost 2mpg on long trips. 2011 street glide 107hp 108torque. :)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:-\
"2011 street glide 107hp 108torque"   My modified 110 CVO Ultra can match those numbers.   I only made the sprocket change cause the "stock" setup sucked the big one.....................Largely.

Coming from a 2001 RK Classic which had (great) low end torque,  the 2009 bike with lots more cubic inchs just didn't get it, plus adding over 160 extra pounds or so.

I'm not even listening to ..........................(gained 2 MPG)///////////////BFD.......Anyone spending big bucks on a Harley and making several mods, is pissing in the wind to give a sh** about gaining 2 mpg unless  their about to take a 3,000 mile or more plus trip across the entire USA.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I'm not even listening to ..........................(gained 2 MPG)///////////////BFD.......Anyone spending big bucks on a Harley and making several mods, is pissing in the wind to give a sh** about gaining 2 mpg unless  their about to take a 3,000 mile or more plus trip across the entire USA.

Not sure why anyone would worry about a 2 mpg difference; at all :nixweiss:

That's less than the difference caused by riding with a tail wind versus against a headwind on a fairinged bike.  If you assume a difference of 40 to 38 mpg and gas cost of $3.50 that 3000 trip makes for a difference of less than $15.  Even on a 20,000 mile annual riding average that mpg difference at $3.50 per gallon makes only about a $90 difference.  Whoopee....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Whole lot of supposition and WAG methodology in this thread.  Just reading the threads on this one site concerning the 139 tooth belt breakage, it certainly seems like there is a problem.  However, since the only change is the front sprocket and the belt, and the front sprocket is the same size as the one on the stock Tri-Glide that doesn't have belt breakage problems, I think it's reasonable to hypothesize that the root cause is the quality or design of the belt.  Just because someone makes a belt with the correct tooth pitch and width to fit the sprockets doesn't necessarily mean they made it with the other characteristics required to handle the torque loads of an extremely heavy motorcycle with a big V-Twin engine.  It also doesn't guarantee that their manufacturing quality is worth a chit.

While Gates Polychain doesn't make a 139 tooth 1" belt directly for Harley, they do make a 139 tooth 1" belt that is constructed out of the same poly coated Kevlar as the OEM Harley belts.  I'd suggest someone contact Gates and ask them point blank if that belt has the same strength characteristics as the OEM belts, and do they recommend it for use on a late model Harley.  If it is and they do, the problem may be easily solved by not buying the Falcon belt and buying the Gates instead.

For those who are too gun shy to try the 30 tooth change, you can always look into changing the primary ratio with an aftermarket clutch gear.  I forget the name of the company that offers that option, but I'm sure someone around here will have a link to them.

As for the two mpg difference, as the old car advertisements were quick to point out, "your results may vary".  I've actually seen similar ratio changes improve mpg, it all depends on how you ride and the torque characteristics of the engine.  Anyway, two mpg sure wouldn't keep me from doing something that makes the bike more responsive and fun to ride.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

Here is the link to the 49 tooth clutch basket, 49T primary sprocket, new primary chain and starter ring gear.

http://evoindusa.com/mtrcycle/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=23&zenid=37675a5f7c21678446796fd33698780f

Their first kit was an aluminum basket kit and they did have some issues with it.  It was also in the $350 range.  If I remember correctly the new heat treated steel machined kit is in the $600 range or a bit more.

This still has some merit over the rear sprocket, especially if you're using the TTS Mastertune system and can reset the cruise and 6th gear indicator light.

If you don't need to worry about that, it also does NOT affect the speedo as it's all done before rather than after like the 30T and belt change.

Some will say that it will increase the load on the starter, but I can't see that as much of an issue with ACR's on our bikes.  Also when guys increase the CR and change cams, it has to be just as hard on the starter.

Years ago the basket to compensator ratio, from the starter standpoint, was a lot worse than it is today.

I have a 30T and Falcon belt brand new, but I will probably do the Evolution kit so I don't have to break loose the inner primary to do the sprocket and belt.

I think some time ago someone said they had done this EVO Industries upgrade, maybe they can comment again on the outcome.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:drink:
By the way,  I happen to have an EVO Industries 30T Comp sprocket and matching chain.   Got it from a guy that tried it for a while and then swapped back to  stock.  I've never tried to use it cause of the (lack of) a compensator.

Anyone interested,  let me know.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.