Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 139 T Gates Poly belt-Mid USA #MU-77560 (anyone know if its available?)  (Read 8806 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Whole lot of supposition and WAG methodology in this thread.  Just reading the threads on this one site concerning the 139 tooth belt breakage, it certainly seems like there is a problem.  However, since the only change is the front sprocket and the belt, and the front sprocket is the same size as the one on the stock Tri-Glide that doesn't have belt breakage problems, I think it's reasonable to hypothesize that the root cause is the quality or design of the belt.  Just because someone makes a belt with the correct tooth pitch and width to fit the sprockets doesn't necessarily mean they made it with the other characteristics required to handle the torque loads of an extremely heavy motorcycle with a big V-Twin engine.  It also doesn't guarantee that their manufacturing quality is worth a chit.

While Gates Polychain doesn't make a 139 tooth 1" belt directly for Harley, they do make a 139 tooth 1" belt that is constructed out of the same poly coated Kevlar as the OEM Harley belts.  I'd suggest someone contact Gates and ask them point blank if that belt has the same strength characteristics as the OEM belts, and do they recommend it for use on a late model Harley.  If it is and they do, the problem may be easily solved by not buying the Falcon belt and buying the Gates instead.

For those who are too gun shy to try the 30 tooth change, you can always look into changing the primary ratio with an aftermarket clutch gear.  I forget the name of the company that offers that option, but I'm sure someone around here will have a link to them.

As for the two mpg difference, as the old car advertisements were quick to point out, "your results may vary".  I've actually seen similar ratio changes improve mpg, it all depends on how you ride and the torque characteristics of the engine.  Anyway, two mpg sure wouldn't keep me from doing something that makes the bike more responsive and fun to ride.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

Here is the link to the 49 tooth clutch basket, 49T primary sprocket, new primary chain and starter ring gear.

http://evoindusa.com/mtrcycle/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=23&zenid=37675a5f7c21678446796fd33698780f

Their first kit was an aluminum basket kit and they did have some issues with it.  It was also in the $350 range.  If I remember correctly the new heat treated steel machined kit is in the $600 range or a bit more.

This still has some merit over the rear sprocket, especially if you're using the TTS Mastertune system and can reset the cruise and 6th gear indicator light.

If you don't need to worry about that, it also does NOT affect the speedo as it's all done before rather than after like the 30T and belt change.

Some will say that it will increase the load on the starter, but I can't see that as much of an issue with ACR's on our bikes.  Also when guys increase the CR and change cams, it has to be just as hard on the starter.

Years ago the basket to compensator ratio, from the starter standpoint, was a lot worse than it is today.

I have a 30T and Falcon belt brand new, but I will probably do the Evolution kit so I don't have to break loose the inner primary to do the sprocket and belt.

I think some time ago someone said they had done this EVO Industries upgrade, maybe they can comment again on the outcome.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:drink:
By the way,  I happen to have an EVO Industries 30T Comp sprocket and matching chain.   Got it from a guy that tried it for a while and then swapped back to  stock.  I've never tried to use it cause of the (lack of) a compensator.

Anyone interested,  let me know.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.