Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Ruined new CVO  (Read 9308 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: Ruined new CVO
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »

As of today I am almost 100% healed all road rash is gone just a little scab on the chin is all but that is the physical the counssion symptoms are still effecting me however and still have 3 weeks till I am cleared to drive. A rep from Harley is going out to look at the bike at the insurance impound lot to look at it and see what the problem wound up being and once I find out it might be the fault of the dealer that did the service only 10 days before. So we will we how this turns out and once I find out I will let you all know what the results are.

That will be an interesting find.  I have heard of wind buffeting, I've experienced it, however this is the 1st time that I have heard of a situation like this without something else being significantly wrong.  Being as though the HD dealer touched the bike 10 days before, I will side with with the high probability that someone did something wrong.  This happened to a friend of mine with his son on the bike.  He had PM wheels installed front and rear at the dealer, the technician failed to put a spacer or something like that in the rear wheel and it created a really bad wobble at highway speeds with his son on the back.  He pulled over and they picked up the bike.  Fortunately no one got hurt and all the dealer did was say that they were sorry.  Keep us up to date, hopefully you will draw some sort of conculsion because without an answer this will weigh in the back of your mind?  Good Luck....
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »

I agree with the prior comments.  This bike should be able to run over 100 mph as much as you would like without misshap.  This was a part or maintenance issue.  Had you ridden it much since you had it worked on?  If not, it might have shown up sooner.  Good thing it didn't do that when you were running at the higher speeds.  But even over 50 mph can hurt real bad.  Glad to hear you're on the mend dragon35s and good luck with the appraiser.    :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

Keep us informed on what you find out. Glad to see you walked away from this.

kravnut

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear that you are fine and will eventually recover 100%.  As other stated, please keep us posted as to what the HD rep finds out.
Keith

2012 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide
4" Rinehart Slip-ons
Kuryakyn Quick Adjust Tour-Pak Relocator

CityLights

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: FLHCUSE7
    • CVO3: FLTRXSE
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »

Dragon35s any news from the Mothership/dealer/insurance co. that you want to share ? 
Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope , soft underfoot , without sudden turnings , without milestones , without signpost's.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »

Can almost bet that unless it's something obvious, they will try and blame "Rider Error" as to excuse theirselves from any claims......please keep us posted!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

So sorry to hear of your accident.  A wobble like that is not normal, however.  Take a look at the work order to see if the neck bearings were "adjusted".  It sounds like that may be the root of the problem...loose neck bearing can cause a wobble, particularly when decelerating and the POS front suspension compresses.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BAGGER 1

• Senior CVO Member
  • Leeco
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »

Good to know You are doing well, Gods speed on Your recovery !!

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »

Dragon35s any news from the Mothership/dealer/insurance co. that you want to share ? 
X's    2 :nixweiss:

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »

Glad thats behind you now! Keep the faith, you'll be riding again soon!!! :2vrolijk_21:
My favorite color is chrome

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »

On the subject of wind buffering and wobbles. A couple years ago I rode my Son-in-laws Yamaha R-1. Had the opportunity to open it up a bit and as I approached my off ramp, which got there faster than I thought, I saw 131 on the speedo.  :huepfenjump3: It was a rush for sure! I then got on my 04 :pumpkin: still feeling the need for speeeeed, and thought I'd catch up to a couple of rockets I could see across the valley ahead. It was a windy day by the way. At 112 mph a started feeling the wind buffering affect on the faring so I eased out of it and continued on at about 105 for a while. I had talked to someone at our local dealer about the wobble I get on pretty tight curves at 65-70mph and he highly recommended adjustable shocks by Progressive also stating that the newer Harley's (new swing arm setup) didn't need that change. Anyone ever tried any of the stabilizing products or the Progressive shocks??

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »

Glad to see you're ok.

I have the same problem with my 2011 SESG.  I cranked it up to 100mph one afternoon and almost went down.  It felt like I was starting to hydroplane.  I eased back out of the throttle and it started to get worse.  My buddy said the back of my bike was moving back and fourth about 8 inches.  It came out of it at about 60 mph.

I did the fall away test and it does what it's supposed to.  I changed rear spring pressure and greased the neck,  I still have the problem, it doesn't seem as bad but I'm gun shy now to go any faster than 90 mph.  I may not be as lucky the second time around.

If there is a fix for this I want to know what it is.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »

Upgraded suspension components will help.  On the '09 and up frames, the various braces are not needed, IMO.  On the older frames, it doesn't hurt anything, though I never needed one on my '06 and never had a wobble at any speed.  But, it was far from stock suspension as well.  I can't prove this (I don't have a wind tunnel), but IMO, the Batwing fairing design makes the front end get "lighter" at high speeds because of the air flow (or lack thereof) characteristics...you're basically pushing a piece of plywood that's attached to the forks through the air.  The RG fairing design is not as prone to this, again, IMO.

Improper alignment of rear wheel as it relates to the engine mounting can also deal fits.

If a person likes riding a HD agressively, I would strongly suggest upgrading the suspension.  In 100% of the cases I know about, those who finally get around to doing so after spending $$$ on exhausts, bling, engine mods, etc, wish they had upgraded the suspension a LONG time ago.  It is the most significant improvement you can make to a HD.  It's the very first thing I did to my '11, even before changing exhaust/tune.

That's my opinion.

TTS Mastertune

dragon35s

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 02:26:22 AM »

As of today I still have not heard anything from the MOCO as my insurance company had to submit request in writing to them to have an "Expert" from corporate come and inspect the bike. As soon as I get something I will let you all know. Also looking at the service and maintenance inspection check list I got from the dealer after the service it says that they checked the "tightness of all critical fasteners: Hand controls, Brake system, Axle nuts, front fork components, Riser and Handle bar Fasteners". Also checked Stabilizer Links and engine mounts. so it looks like the dealership did there checks or did they just check it off??? :-X :confused5: :oops:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

As of today I still have not heard anything from the MOCO as my insurance company had to submit request in writing to them to have an "Expert" from corporate come and inspect the bike. As soon as I get something I will let you all know. Also looking at the service and maintenance inspection check list I got from the dealer after the service it says that they checked the "tightness of all critical fasteners: Hand controls, Brake system, Axle nuts, front fork components, Riser and Handle bar Fasteners". Also checked Stabilizer Links and engine mounts. so it looks like the dealership did there checks or did they just check it off??? :-X :confused5: :oops:

Anyone want to take bets on that one?  But you can't prove it one way or the other.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.