Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Ruined new CVO  (Read 9311 times)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Re: Ruined new CVO
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »

Tire air pressure?

I have had mine over 100 numerous times with no issues.

I also have the 8" Klockwerks which is supposed to eliminate the lift from the bat wing.  Put that on the bike with about 5K miles, so don't know what the bike would do with the original windshield.
Spada84
NoSofa!

fattner

• my 2012 cvo ,thankgod for harleys and star bucks
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »

glad you are ok ,You can buy a new bike its you that is more important !!! takcare my friend ......

kpwww

• CVO1: Road King 2007
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »

What a blessing that you are okay.  Bikes can be replaced...you can't be.

This could have been so much worse.

Kristin

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »

Upgraded suspension components will help.  On the '09 and up frames, the various braces are not needed, IMO.  On the older frames, it doesn't hurt anything, though I never needed one on my '06 and never had a wobble at any speed.  But, it was far from stock suspension as well.  I can't prove this (I don't have a wind tunnel), but IMO, the Batwing fairing design makes the front end get "lighter" at high speeds because of the air flow (or lack thereof) characteristics...you're basically pushing a piece of plywood that's attached to the forks through the air.  The RG fairing design is not as prone to this, again, IMO.

Improper alignment of rear wheel as it relates to the engine mounting can also deal fits.

If a person likes riding a HD agressively, I would strongly suggest upgrading the suspension.  In 100% of the cases I know about, those who finally get around to doing so after spending $$$ on exhausts, bling, engine mods, etc, wish they had upgraded the suspension a LONG time ago.  It is the most significant improvement you can make to a HD.  It's the very first thing I did to my '11, even before changing exhaust/tune.

That's my opinion.
Good advice, new shocks will be my next purchase! I like to run up to a hundred ever once in a while but going as fast as it can go isn't a priority any more. Even though I'd like to see what it would do. 112mph is far as I've been before I felt a little wiggle starting.  Runs like a scalded dog! Love my  :pumpkin:

dragon35s

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »

Tire pressure was good even after the crash the tires were still at full pressure (tested them out when I went to see the bike) and they were still holding air. Called the Insurance company today 22 May 2012 to see if they have received anything from the MOCO and the adjuster said that they have been assigned a customer service rep and they have the name of the Tech just no contact from the MOCO as to when they are going to do the inspection. Also inquired about buying the salvage/bike back since they totaled it out and got told that they want $17,000 for it. does anyone else think that this is WAY to much for this as it was totaled and they said that VIN can never be used to register another bike? :o

Mongo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Electra Glide Ultra, Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 06:30:01 PM »

Dragon35s, I am sorry for you dropping it, thank God your alright. The bike can be fixed you would take a lot longer. Glad your okay!

Mongo

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »

You were watched over. The bike looks pretty bad. Thank God you're okay.

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »

Dragon35S, hope you are fully recovered.  Any update on the investigation to determine cause? Thanks.
124 137HP/147TQ

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

Tire pressure was good even after the crash the tires were still at full pressure (tested them out when I went to see the bike) and they were still holding air. Called the Insurance company today 22 May 2012 to see if they have received anything from the MOCO and the adjuster said that they have been assigned a customer service rep and they have the name of the Tech just no contact from the MOCO as to when they are going to do the inspection. Also inquired about buying the salvage/bike back since they totaled it out and got told that they want $17,000 for it. does anyone else think that this is WAY to much for this as it was totaled and they said that VIN can never be used to register another bike? :o
Hey man, glad to hear your OK! Bikes can always be fixed or replaced! Happened to me on an '01 FLHTRGSE passing traffic. Long sweeper on a four lane concrete road that I was familiar with. As I went into and through the curve it started that "tank slap" thing. Scared the chit out of me as I wasn't expecting it. Just hung on and made it through. It wouldn't have been ugly if I went down anywhere at that section of road. Probably somewhere in the +/- 85mph when it started dancing. Lesson learned! Good Luck and safe riding! Bob F

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »

I would highly recommend against buying the bike back with a salvaged tittle. Unless you think you can part it out and get (make) your money back. Most insurance companies will not insure, finance  nevercompanies will not finance, bike will most likely never run right (sounds like it didn't before the accident...). Take your insurance money and go buy a shinny new safe bike and enjoy!
We are all glad you are OK. Very lucky guy!
Alan

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 04:04:28 AM »

Glad to hear you're OK mate...I had a similar experience recently during my trip to Brisbane from Melbourne, at high speeds, and especially after passing double tray semi's (roadtrains), I got serious wobbles...(I nearly needed a change u know what), this happened on 2 occasions tempting me to immediately slow down...I called in to the dealer in Moree who took it for a test ride and felt it and suggested the windvest (tall windscreen with a lip)...anyway I slowed down and upon my return consulted every avenue, only to find it was caused by overloading the topbox, therefore throwing out the dynamics,,, as it is way behind the rear wheel etc....is it possible this may have happened here too....I have since been much faster passing semi's minus the topbox and with it on, but empty, with no problems at all....It was possibly the windvest throwing the air flow over my head and striking the top of the topbox making the dynamics even more unstable, what do you think guys and gals?//thought it worth a mention, and would appreciate any reactions...j... PS Have since changed the tall windvest for the 6 inch smoked one...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:36:41 AM by jacks »
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

Pymie

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 05:19:18 AM »

Glad that you are on the mend. The last report for a tank slapper in Oz reminded me of a similar incident on my 09 SEUC. Over 100mph, agressive riding , a big sweeper and fully loaded top box etc. After the Oh S#@ first thought self preservation cut in, tried the accelerate out - no improvement, tried the back off - no improvement, tried the handlebar flick - no improvement, applied rear brake only and rode it out. I have been reluctant to try it again. Afterwards I addressed a loose head bearing, tyre pressure checks etc. A fellow rider with a 2006 UC with top box off claims dramatically better handling.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.