Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 5 Gallon Fuel Tank on SEs  (Read 16934 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 5 Gallon Fuel Tank on SEs
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2007, 01:42:51 PM »

Don't have a V-Rod and have only ridden one a few times.  Longest stretch only a little over an hour.  So can't speak to how it might wear on you over a longer day.  For the thousand dollars or much more that had previously heard suggested for prices on larger tanks for them I'd have to think twice (or three or four times) about doing the deed.  But for the $350 range mentioned above here how can it be anything other than a no-brainer?

Whether you intend to ride 90 miles or less on a stretch or not sometimes the option just isn't ours.  A station might be closed.  Might be out in the boonies having a good day and not realize how deep in the boonies you'd gotten.  More fuel just can't ever be a wrong choice.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »

Don't have a V-Rod and have only ridden one a few times.  Longest stretch only a little over an hour.  So can't speak to how it might wear on you over a longer day.  For the thousand dollars or much more that had previously heard suggested for prices on larger tanks for them I'd have to think twice (or three or four times) about doing the deed.  But for the $350 range mentioned above here how can it be anything other than a no-brainer?

Whether you intend to ride 90 miles or less on a stretch or not sometimes the option just isn't ours.  A station might be closed.  Might be out in the boonies having a good day and not realize how deep in the boonies you'd gotten.  More fuel just can't ever be a wrong choice.

Honestly, Don, for a person my size or slightly taller, I think I could ride on the V all day long, particularly if cruise could be fitted.  It's a smooth running bike and could run 75-80 and 5K all day long.  But the thumb screw works for the interstate when I need to rest my hand a minute or two.  The prices on these retrofit tanks is really dropping, and the guy now has the ability to make them cheaply once he got the original kinks worked out.  It is something I might do over the winter or when it comes time to change the rear tire out on mine, as all that comes off anyway from the instructions I've seen with the kit.  1/2 day job and only need one special tool to get the tank collar off the old tank to put on the new...on the Vrod forum, people are swapping the tool, or renting it.  5 gallons is always better to have than 3.7....that would make it a good pee break interval.  I'll make the 300 or so mile run to Traxxion in a couple of weeks, so will know better then.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2007, 08:46:15 PM »

Sure a larger tank would be nice...however for me on that bike, it works and I have little problem with it outside of the availability of fuel when required.  Just more cautious I guess.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 10:43:05 PM »

Honestly, Don, for a person my size or slightly taller, I think I could ride on the V all day long, particularly if cruise could be fitted.  It's a smooth running bike and could run 75-80 and 5K all day long.  But the thumb screw works for the interstate when I need to rest my hand a minute or two.  The prices on these retrofit tanks is really dropping, and the guy now has the ability to make them cheaply once he got the original kinks worked out.  It is something I might do over the winter or when it comes time to change the rear tire out on mine, as all that comes off anyway from the instructions I've seen with the kit.  1/2 day job and only need one special tool to get the tank collar off the old tank to put on the new...on the Vrod forum, people are swapping the tool, or renting it.  5 gallons is always better to have than 3.7....that would make it a good pee break interval.  I'll make the 300 or so mile run to Traxxion in a couple of weeks, so will know better then.

From the short hop on yours I took and the other two bikes I'd ridden somewhat longer it was immediately apparent that the only thing the bike needed to be plenty comfortable for longer rides was your windshield. The other two I'd been on for stretches of an hour or a bit more didn't have the big screen like yours.  With yours it was a night and day difference.  No doubt it helped on yours that your peg and bar positions were just about perfect for me too.  But, assuming the seat didn't start barking on longer runs, I'd hate to be limited on your bike to 90 mile runs (give or take).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.