Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: (California/Arizona), Nevada, Utah, Colorado  (Read 64897 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: (California/Arizona), Nevada, Utah, Colorado
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

These photos are for Marty……

The lil chipmunk on the chunk of concrete down below came a beggin…..we fed him.

When the crow came around, the chipmunk hightailed it for safety.  He didn’t want to be caught out in the open.  As soon as the crow left, the chipmunk came back.  Eating happily while keeping one eye turned skyward…..

Treasure Falls, one of the many waterfalls in Colo……

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

“Strictly Modern”……haven’t saw that term since the 50’s…..

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »

I finally got the t-shirt!

Cushman Eagle should shake a few memories of some of you…..this thing was in mint condition!

and Road Warrior......looks like my kind of van. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »

Leaving Durango after lunch, we ride out the Million Dollar Highway and Silverton is our next stop…..

Check out the heavy barbed wire gates…..

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

The town of Silverton, Colo down below…..

As you can see in this photo…..Silverton’s main street was also just paved….

Much like Tombstone, Ariz…..many of the local town’s folks dress in period costume….

Terrie directing traffic again………..no, just trying to get Don & Carol’s attention……

Durango HD opened up a t-shirt store in Silverton.  Billed as the “World’s Highest Harley Store”.  Yep, you can get a shirt stating that…..   The lady managing the store has been a local of Silverton all of her life and can tell you the history for the past 25 years or so.  She came out on the sidewalk and was telling us the history of many of the buildings, etc.   NOTE:  for you snowboarders…..check out the bench in front of the store.

More Jeeps for days!

They even have a year around Taxi…..

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »

Time to roll on to Ouray…..

Abandoned mine….

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »

These signs all mean what they say!

A spillway over the top of the highway.  Must be awesome in the winter months….

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »

In this photo, at the bottom right, you can see some iron railing at a turn out.  This turn out has a steel sky walk that hangs out over the cliff (free, no cost).  As you walk out on it and look straight down, you’ll see the huge waterfall (Bear Creek Falls, right outside of Ouray) that’s directly under the highway at that location.

The waterfall across the river was the first one I saw, as I walked out on the skywalk….

And then I went to the other side of the skywalk, hearing the loud noise, to see this huge waterfall directly under the bridge of the highway…..It’s Bear Creek Falls.

And it continues down the side of the rocks all the way to the river far below….

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »

Our home for this night was the Ouray Hotel.  Right in the center of town.  Another hotel found in the book Colorado’s Historic Hotels.  Terrie and I had the corner suite.

The next time Terrie and I are in Ouray, we’ll be staying at the Wiesbaden Hotsprings Spa & Lodging.  http://www.wiesbadenhotsprings.com/ 

While we were staying at the Ouray Hotel on this trip, we had the hotel manager make arrangements for Terrie to get a massage.  We wanted someplace within a couple blocks walking distance.  When we came back from dinner he had it lined up….a block and a half up the street towards the mountain behind the hotel.  Hot springs, underground vapor caves, spa, etc. 

I’ve been to more than a few spas and had my share of massages and been in a number of hot springs.  So I thought “well, I’ll bring my swimming trunks and hang out in the hotsprings pool while Terrie’s getting her massage”. 

We get to the Wiesbaden and it was very tranquil looking.  Being a tourist town I thought $$$$ for the services.  Since Terrie was going to be getting an hour and a half massage, just $15 for me to hang out in the hotsprings pool.  Great!   The masseuse came and asked if we’d been to the vapor caves yet?  What the hell is that…..must be some gimmick.  We told her that we didn’t have any idea what she was talking about and she said “well let me show you”. 

She took us downstairs in the building that we were in and immediately I felt the warm humidity.  We continued down a hall, past the changing rooms and showers, through a couple more doors and into a natural underground cave that was something like right out of a movie.  She said the water is a constant 108F degrees (you don’t just jump in to water that hot……you ease in to it, very slowly).  Later I tried to run back in with my camera to snap a couple picks of the pools in the caves but the lens just fogged over to quickly however, I did get a pick of the entrance to the second door in the caves….

And the massage room where Terrie spent the next hour and a half.  I went back and forth  from the outdoor hotsprings pool to the vapor caves.

While I can usally take or leave this kind of thing, I have to say that this is the best hot springs I’ve ever been to, without a doubt.  Terrie came out of her massage and for the next half hour told me how it was the best massage she’s ever had anywhere.

The window screens obscured these pics….

Ouray was a great time and we look forward to our next visit there.

West Coast GTG   

HHP

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Street Glide Ruby Red
« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Ride safe and have fun.
Sportster 883 / Dyna Super Glide / E-Glide Standard / Heritage Springer / Heritage Classic / Night Rod / Softail Deluxe / CVO Street Glide

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »

Love your picture of the Rio Grande Valley. I have one just like it from my trip to Glacier National Park.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #236 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »

If these signs struck anybody's interest......

and.....if you have a 4x4 with at least 9"-10" clearance, preferably skid plates and wants to do several 14,000' passes four wheelin, you might be interested in this web site....   http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html   This web site is interactive with several video clips and history of the old mining towns of days gone by that are back in the mountains of this loop.  Even if you're not interested in four wheeling, you may be interested in clicking on the link above to view the video clips and history of that area.

The Alpine Loop is a dirt road (the ranger said that in places you'll be in 4x4 low and climbing a rocky road) that's 65 miles long and runs between Lake City (pgs. 14 and 15 of this ride report), Silverton and Ouray (pg. 16 of this ride report).

West Coast GTG   

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #237 on: June 13, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »

OMG !!  These are beautiful picture's JC.  What awesome little towns.  Riding these roads are so breathtaking.  And Terrie got a message  :P. I'm so jealous  :-\.  That must have been some of the BEST riding!  I love the "old" hotel rooms that look so cool.  How comfortable we're those beds?  :nixweiss:   Absolutely outstanding!  Thank you for sharing.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »

Hello JC!
We meet at Pashnit trip planning, I drag you over to ADVRider, and now I join here to follow your latest trip on CVO.
Thank you for putting together this great RR. Looks like you could have used my kind of air cooled twin on the first part of your trip.;-) Congratulations to all of you for keeping those beautiful machines right side up. It looks like I'm going to have to head back west to see a bunch of things that we missed in April. I hope that someday we can share a ride together. Until then, Thanks again for the guidance you gave us.
Tom
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »

I forgot two important questions.
1- Where is the killer Maltese?
2- What would you do if you sold the Harleys?
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.