Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: need help please  (Read 5622 times)

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
need help please
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »

motor all back together but will not start   motor spinning sounds like no spark check all wireing oil perrsure comeing up slowly  please  a helping hand at this point would be great
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: need help please
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

motor all back together but will not start   motor spinning sounds like no spark check all wireing oil perrsure comeing up slowly  please  a helping hand at this point would be great

Can't know since we're actually hearing/seeing it.  In the hope of simple solutions to simple problems maybe the plug wires on wrong.  The positions aren't interchangeable.  If you're not sure then swap them once just to find out.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »

Can't know since we're actually hearing/seeing it.  In the hope of simple solutions to simple problems maybe the plug wires on wrong.  The positions aren't interchangeable.  If you're not sure then swap them once just to find out.
thanks but they where tape to frame there right would low oil pressure stop from fireing????
2009 ultra black

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »

have ya got the fuel line connected properly ??? if the qwik connect isnt right .. it wont hit a lick .. double check .. jus sayin .. good luck

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »

have ya got the fuel line connected properly ??? if the qwik connect isnt right .. it wont hit a lick .. double check .. jus sayin .. good luck

tryed that 4 times i can not found problem if the injector plug in oposite would that cause a problem?
2009 ultra black

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »

Do you actually have spark? Compression good? - pushrods too tight causing lack of said compression? Fuel pressure good?

Other here have established reps as being much more knowledgable than I, but take it one step at a time. check for spark, compression,fuel and correct timing - after that it might get complicated  :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

Do you actually have spark? Compression good? - pushrods too tight causing lack of said compression? Fuel pressure good?

Other here have established reps as being much more knowledgable than I, but take it one step at a time. check for spark, compression,fuel and correct timing - after that it might get complicated  :nixweiss:
pulled the plugs dry like not getting fuel  fuel pump comes on  discounted quick coupler a numrous time and reconnete  compersison looks good whit finger test over spark plug hole
2009 ultra black

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »

give a squirt of starting fluid into the tb if it fires up then you know its gas.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »

Gabe, these are all good suggestions. Especially switching spark plug wires from one side to another, and spraying fuel into throttle body. However, unless I missed something you never confirmed spark at the plug. If this correct take off one plug wire, leave plug in head, use old plug and ground it to clyinder head and look for spark. If you see no spark then work backwards checking all your connections. I used to do Ho#%# basket cases for money when I was in college ( this was in the early 70's and it was actually quite lucrative and tax free) and if something wouldn't start it was always because of either no fuel, or no spark. Even if the lifters were too tight they would start, but sounded like they were laboring just to idle. One last thing have you got your cams lined up correctly? Hope you find it and please let us know. GoodLuck. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »

Gabe, these are all good suggestions. Especially switching spark plug wires from one side to another, and spraying fuel into throttle body. However, unless I missed something you never confirmed spark at the plug. If this correct take off one plug wire, leave plug in head, use old plug and ground it to clyinder head and look for spark. If you see no spark then work backwards checking all your connections. I used to do Ho#%# basket cases for money when I was in college ( this was in the early 70's and it was actually quite lucrative and tax free) and if something wouldn't start it was always because of either no fuel, or no spark. Even if the lifters were too tight they would start, but sounded like they were laboring just to idle. One last thing have you got your cams lined up correctly? Hope you find it and please let us know. GoodLuck. CAHDBIKER
thanks for input but iam afraid with the ecm it would short out  and i pulled  plugs no fuel and tryed starting fluided  and no luck  if timeing was off still get fuel   iam lost tryed reseting ecm  by discounting postive side for 15 minutes no luck
should not be this hard thanks for input
2009 ultra black

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »

I don't think the ECM will have any issue with using a plug grounded to the head to check for spark. But reading your other post in the general CVO discusion area, you may have a communications issue between the security module and the ECM...   Check my response there....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »

Gabe, see attached page from my 09 service manual. Please take note of section Engine turns over but does not start no. 5. I actually had to help my brother with this exact issue it was not on an HD, but it  is an easy mistake to make. If you are getting fuel and spark the motor has to make some kind of noise even if  it is only a backfire. If I am wrong about that it is probably because I have only had two Harleys and about 30other different brands bikes. Good Luck. CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:23:22 PM by cahdbiker »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

Check for spark first. If none then check your crank position sensor....

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »

hd-dude, the crank position sensor does need to be pulled and cleaned off on occassion. Just for the record and with no intention of jumping thread, I had a bad CPS on my S&S107. It would start, run for about 10 minutes and then stop. Wait 10 minutes and do it again same results. This is not relative to this post, bute it crossed my mind when you mentioned CPS. I put in a new one and problem was solved.CAHDBIKER

Check for spark first. If none then check your crank position sensor....

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 05:01:16 AM »

Gabe, see attached page from my 09 service manual. Please take note of section Engine turns over but does not start no. 5. I actually had to help my brother with this exact issue it was not on an HD, but it  is an easy mistake to make. If you are getting fuel and spark the motor has to make some kind of noise even if  it is only a backfire. If I am wrong about that it is probably because I have only had two Harleys and about 30other different brands bikes. Good Luck. CAHDBIKER
[/quote  thanks i will check in to it but think  its the ecm no fuel or spark
2009 ultra black
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.