Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for everyone  (Read 1567 times)

06 Blk Crimson

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Question for everyone
« on: August 01, 2006, 07:49:44 PM »

As most of you know I have an 06 Ultra Classic, yesterday I got stuck in a long line of traffic after about 10 mins of not moving the bike started acting funny, the idle dropped I watched the oil gauge go from half way to almost zero, then the bike shut off, it was hot out about 95 or so, after about a min or so, I started it again and we started moving and it was fine after that.. Today I called my dealer and ask if this was normal, I was told yes it is, the bike is set up to do that. I asked how people go down main street at some of the big bike events such as Sturgis and Daytona in traffic and heat, and if they had to pull over every 2 mins. My question to everyone has this ever happened to you and if it is really normal.  When I say it was hot, I have to tell you the back of my legs felt like they were going to catch on fire.  This is my fifth Harley and the only one that has ever done this.  Your input would be appreciated.      
06 Blk Crimson charcoal Slate
Rinehart True Duals
SE Race tunner
Dyno'ed 97.0 HP 99.1 lbs of TQ
lots of Chrome lol
2002 Custom Indian Chief

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Question for everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:12:45 PM »

My SEEG shut off on me once.  Last year in Pennsylvania, was about 95 and humid.  Stop and go traffic on the freeway.  The bike started right back up and off I went.  There is a sensor that is supposed to do this so you don't fry your motor.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

06 Blk Crimson

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:23:03 PM »

That is the same thing I was told, and I guess it makes sense as long as you don't get stuck in traffic much... This is my first twin cam so it is a learning curve.
Rinehart True Duals
SE Race tunner
lots of Chrome lol
2002 Custom Indian Chief

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:55:48 PM »

06...this is supposed to happen when the engine temp gets to a certain point...I think it's in the manual...keeps the motor from frying itself by basically misfiring, dropping the RPM's, etc.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:49 PM »

Coming back from Cripple creek, crossing the Port Huron bridge to canada it started happening to me...got a good workout pushing the bike with my legs...and sarting it every few minutes.

i believe the rear cyliner fires half the time causing the rough idle.

Heat Management feature I have heard it called.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

06 Blk Crimson

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:12:15 PM »

Is this something new for 06 or do all the 103's have it, don't get me wrong I am happy it is there, but I was thinking this can be a pain in the ass if you get stuck in traffic alot.. I was told today the 07's dont have this, just wondering why I have not heard of other people talking about it.. lol I am just glad my bike didnt blow up..  
Rinehart True Duals
SE Race tunner
lots of Chrome lol
2002 Custom Indian Chief

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:24:59 PM »

I've had mine try to do this twice on me, once on the interstate after someone had had an accident. The second time was on the interstate due to construction. Both times, I felt the engine go into the  intermittent firing mode. My buddies "03" Ultra Classic was with me both times and his started acting up at about the same time. The fuel injection management does this to save the engine. Both our bikes acted up at the same time, I was surprised because his is a basically stock "88". I figured mine would heat up first, because I feel it runs hotter anyway. We were lucky, both times we got out of traffic before they shut down. The first time the traffic just cleared and the second time we had to scoot along the side of the road and got off at the nearest exit and took an alternate route.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 09:31:09 PM »

I had an '04 Ultra Classic with Stage II Big Bore, Cams, & SE Mufflers.  I was at Daytona Bike Week in '05 and backed up in traffic on A1A.  The bike was really giving off heat.  Mine went dead, but started back up in just a few seconds (as I recall).  I was concerned, pulled out of the traffic, found a place to pull over, and let the bike cool off.  It never happened again with that bike.

I've noticed that my CUSE seems to bottom out on oil pressure when it's hot and I'm at idle.  My dealer tells me that it is normal and not harmful because of the oil circulation method on Harleys.  It's over my head, but I haven't had the CUSE go dead even though the air temp gauge on the dash has almost been pegged out.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:12:22 PM »

Actually, the "heat management" strategy has been around since '02 on EFI Harleys.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:15:05 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 06:30:39 AM »

On the 07's, it's a free one time option,  and I think I read where if you don't like it they will remove it. I'm like Jerry, if I'm going to sit for very long, I just shut it off. One of the nice things about an easy starting, low compression motor. My last bike was high comp w/releases and I was scared to shut it off in traffic for fear it wouldn't restart.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

06 Blk Crimson

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 04:07:23 PM »

See I knew you guys would have the answer, lol thanks everyone, I think you are right the next time I get stuck in traffic I will shut it down, I guess it just took me be surprize....  thanks again  
Rinehart True Duals
SE Race tunner
lots of Chrome lol
2002 Custom Indian Chief

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 09:32:44 PM »

Don't sweat it man.  That's the way its supposed to be.  That engine's smarter than us.  It's got the good sense to shut down while we just keep on going.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CVOinLV

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »

Here in Las Vegas the motor patrol will shut off the engine at every intersection and restart as the light turns green.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.