Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What worked and what didn't............  (Read 2033 times)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
What worked and what didn't............
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »

May 9-17 myself and two others took a trip of a lifetime and I thought it would be good to share the route as well as what performed well and not so well on my 2010 SESG as well as some of my gear.

The trip was 4427 miles (too short) and started in the rain in Boerne TX.  The first day we road 1031 miles to Tonopah AZ to qualify for our Saddle Sore Iron Butt.  From Tonopah we went through Santa Barbara up CA HWY 1 to Monterey, Hollister, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staricase Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches, Colorado HWY 550 (million dollar highway), Madrid NM with a visit to Maggies Diner from "Wild Hogs", Roswell and back home.  Some days the temperature started out in the high 40"s and climbed to 110 (200 feet below see level in Death Valley).  All in all is was a great trip with a mixture of hotels and camping under the stars.  On a bike for that long you get to thinking and I thought about how the bike and minor mods performed as well as some other things.

Things that worked:
-My recent tune by Ed at Dyno Difference in Dallas.  Outstanding!  Go see the guy, he is on the money!
-The Dunlop OEM tires.  I have had a good experience with them but with that said I will try a different pair next time I need new rubber.
-My seat.  I bought the 2011 SESG seat and it was fine.  Maybe I have a rear of stone but I'm just reporting my experience.
-My iPod and Hawg Wired direct connect speakers and amp.  95MPH, ear plugs and still rocking out to AC/DC, Bullet Boys, Crue, Poison, Rhino Bucket, Occasional Rick James, Shaggy, Cash, Jennings, Spice Girls, Bananarama..........Yeh, I listen to it all!
-Wind Spliter windshield.
-HD LED headlight.
-ABS!
-ZUMO 660 nav.
-HD all weather boots.
-Keystone and Bud Light beer, many of them!
-7 year old HD rain suit.
-9 year old $5 pair to glasses

Things that did not work well:
-WileyX glasses, all three pairs.  Big waste of money
-Speedo and fuel gauge.  My GPS had me 3-5 MPH slower than the guage.  I still got the GPS to register 105 MPH on one stretch to TX pavement.  Fuel gauge was off by >gallon.
-Stock suspension.  Need to upgrade.
-HD air horn.  Useless piece of chit.  I could yell louder than that thing.

I'm sure there are other things but those are my thoughts.  It truely was a ride to remember and I'm already planning a fall trip.  Don't tell my wife!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: What worked and what didn't............
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »

Was your camera broke? Really it would be good to see some pics of your trip.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »

Was your camera broke? Really it would be good to see some pics of your trip.

Working on it.  Will follow shortly.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »

Working on it.  Will follow shortly.

Sounds like a great trip, on our trip out west last year we visited quite a few of the same sites and it was awesome.

Ed is a great guy, was trained by Ugle Dougly  Doug Lofgrin.   As far as the horn, might consider ProPad's air horn the grey hairs here ours well.   www.thepropad.com/
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Special
    • Cycle adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »

:worthless:
- Renay

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.