Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 CVO Ultra Clutch Problems  (Read 2243 times)

David A

08 CVO Ultra Clutch Problems
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

Clutch has starting slipping. Haven't found any information, about adjustments or checking setting. Bike doesn't have many miles on  and has been rode very easy, Anyone have any idea's  on what the problem, maybe?

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: 08 CVO Ultra Clutch Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »

there is no adjustment on hydraulic clutches.

Proper bleeding checked?
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »

Clutch has starting slipping. Haven't found any information, about adjustments or checking setting. Bike doesn't have many miles on  and has been rode very easy, Anyone have any idea's  on what the problem, maybe?

If the hand lever isn't squishy, indicating bleeding might be in order, I'd recommend changing the primary oil and make sure to put in the proper amount of new oil. When I bought mine a few years ago, I thought I had pending clutch issues which corrected itself immediately upon a change. Obviously, the level was off.  I also went from the Syn crap to Mobil1 10w40 4T.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

David A

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »

Thanks Guys, for your help !
I did have the primary oil changed, to Ansoil Syn. about 3 months ago, rode about 600 miles during this time. Should I switch back to other oil ?
The Clutch Lever feels find.
I did ride today, didn't slip till 15 miles or so, and only when I getting on her pretty hard.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »

Thanks Guys, for your help !
I did have the primary oil changed, to Ansoil Syn. about 3 months ago, rode about 600 miles during this time. Should I switch back to other oil ?
The Clutch Lever feels find.
I did ride today, didn't slip till 15 miles or so, and only when I getting on her pretty hard.

So if you leave the lever alone and just grab a big handful of throttle, the rpms's jump but the bike speed doesn't increase proportionately?  If that's the case, then you really have a slipping clutch and need to have it checked out.  Air in the hydraulic line won't cause it to slip, it will cause it to not release completely (drag).  Too much primary fluid will also cause drag, not slippage.

One thing you can check easily is the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.  As the clutch wears, the fluid level in the reservoir increases (just the opposite of how a brake hydraulic system works).  If there is too much fluid in the master cylinder, the release rod in the clutch won't be allowed to return completely.  You never want to let the fluid level go above the full mark.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »

You may want to check out this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=50386.0;all

BLUF: BUT, A BIG UPDATE TO MY POSTS on that thread...My 08 Ultra is in Delaware as of 1pm this afternoon...Anne and I are in MA after renting a car.

We left Memorial Day weekend on a two week trip.  Headed west to Kentucky and Nashville before travelling to VA Beach for a week and our God-daughter's Graduation.  Left with about 36K on the bike...more than 3K since the new Slave Cylinder and all was running well.  On Day 2, I felt the tranny slip once or twice while in 5th (Any need for extra torque would cause the RPMs to rise up but the bike was not getting the power to the wheels).  I started to baby it.  

Spent the next few days between Lexington, Bowling Green and a couple of nights in Nashville.  Noticed the slipping more often.  Left for Asheville, NC on 31 May.  It was colder that day and the slipping was less.  Definately worse in the heat.  Got To the Hills of Asheville with only minimal problems.  Did not ride the next day and on Saturday left for VA Beach.  Slipping continued in the upper gears but while in VA noticed that now I was noticing it in lower gears.  Stopped at the dealer in VA Beach on Thursday.  he mentioned that the Tranny Basket may be moving too much as he had seen this on another bike.

I decided to try and make it home.  This morning left the beach at around 6 and the bike slipped only minimally.  But with the lights on 13 I noticed that 1st was getting worse the longer we ran and the hotter the bike got.  Filled up in Salisbury and kept going but the slipping got worse.  1st was so bad that I had completely let the handle go and it was barely catching but I made it to New Castle where at a light, I did not think the bike would move.  Made it into the gas station at that light, filled up again and let the bike sit to cool down a little.  At that point, I told Anne we probably won't make it home.

Dropped it off at the dealer there and asked them to open the tranny and check it against the specs and tighten it up or whatever else it takes.

Bottom Line, I DO NOT BELIEVE this is a clutch problem.

Bill

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:51:23 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

David A

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »

That's my thinking also, Clutch needs replacing.
I went by my local H-D Dealer and talked with a Service Guy. After telling him , the problem, He talked about, all the things, that could be wrong, ask where the bike was, I showed him, He didn't walk over to the bike, just looked at me, Say, I don't know, I getting off work now, and walked off. Left me standing there, Thinking what the hell !
Guess I'll find someone, that wants to work on it, and not over charge me or trade it off !

David A

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »

I checked the Fluid Level in Reservoir.
It was way over full !
I drained it down to the fill mark, but haven't rode it. Hope to Monday..
Thanks Again,,,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »

I checked the Fluid Level in Reservoir.
It was way over full !
I drained it down to the fill mark, but haven't rode it. Hope to Monday..
Thanks Again,,,

:2vrolijk_21:    Lots of folks don't believe me when I tell them about the clutch master cylinder fluid level rising over time, since it works exactly backward from what they know about the brake system. I leave mine a little below the full mark, and recommend the same approach to others. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:26:14 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:    Lots of folks don't believe me when I tell them about the clutch master cylinder fluid level rising over time, since it works exactly backward from what they know about the brake system. I leave mine a little below the full mark, and recommend the same approach to others. 

Jerry

Mine was spot on when checked  in VA beach and again in Delaware...first thing I looked at and then the tech.

Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.