Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a Better Clutch Hub?  (Read 4897 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Need a Better Clutch Hub?
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »

I'm on my second clutch hub.  The first one had the stock clutch set up but the splines stripped pretty bad & 3 local dealers refused to fix it under warranty.  I put a second OEM clutch hub with the Energy One BTX-14 clutch set up with the VP92.  A few members on the forum are running the same set up.  When I had a bout with really bad throttle lag the dealer adjusted the throttle but it idled quite high until it really warmed up.  Even if it was warm out, the first time I started it the idle was high and the bike lurched when shifting into first.  I made 3 trips to the dealer and then I was told I didn't know how to drive it properly.  I was told to apply the front brake and put the heal shifter back on and slam it into gear.  I just looked at the assistant service manager and said you are a complete idiot if you expect me to follow your advice.  I went above his head but the bullcrap kept getting worse so I left. I had some help in adjusting the throttle and followed the advise SADUNBAR sent me so it was fine after that.  I'm in the process of installing a chrome inner primary (dealer chipped & scratched the original one) when I noticed that the clutch post are all messed up.  I called Ken at Energy One and he said to send the whole set up back to him & he would check it out and replace the entire kit.  The clutch spring was bent in a few places, which leaves me to believe that the entire hub went out too far and the spring caught the hub post and gouged them.  The damaged area is 90 degrees from the factory flat spot. 

So now Ken will give me a new set up but he didn't know what I could use for a clutch hub other than the OEM.  Frankly, I will go out of my way to avoid dealers or use OEM parts.  I'm on a one man crusade in boycotting the dealer's bullchit stories & the bullcrap they sell.  So I need a clutch hub that will accept the OEM or Energy One clutch, any ideas?

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Need a Better Clutch Hub?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »

Can't answer your Q about what hub fits OEM clutch but was suprised to see the hub problem again. Many of us Nor Cal folks were stripping out our OEM hubs as the alloy against the steel shaft wasn't holding up. We ended up going over to the Rivera Pro set up and have had no further problems. My only problem with the Rivera is that I run police cone courses and their set up does not work for that. I end up burning up a few discs per year. Good luck though

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »

What rationale did three different dealers use to deny the warranty claim Ray?  Were they at least consistent or just totally making it up as they each went?

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »

Don,

This all goes back to a post I put on Aug. 25, 2010. The post was tittled "Look at the amount of metal on primary drain plug".  I would put a link up here but I don't know how.  Any way most of the metal ended up being from stripped splines inside the clutch hub as well as some minor damage to the hub itself.  All three dealers looked at the photo and said the amount of metal was normal and that they would not do the repair under warranty.  I was continually told that it was normal and not to worry.  When do you get concerned, when the chunks are to big for the drain hole.  One dealer told me he would check it out but if he didn't find anything really significant I would be charged a minimum of $500.00.  I'm trying to make this short but not doing well.  I had a friend help me out and we found the damaged hub, and some damage to the compensator.  We ended up installing the SE Compensator, new clutch hub, Energy One clutch plates, the 30 tooth sprocket and the bearings and seals required.  As soon as the hub was identified as being damaged I immediately went over to the first dealer that I thought treated me decently until this incident.  I had the SM look at the clutch hub at which time he said tough chit now.  You took it apart now you own it, I just asked him is this worth loosing a customer and anybody else I can educate about your policy.  He just said big F**ing deal.  So I never went back, however the rest of the dealers are even worse.  I used to own my own business and customer service was number 1, the HD frustration level for me has kind of peaked.  Anyway I need a better hub that will accept the Energy One or I will just swap out the entire clutch.  No more OEM unless absolutely necessary. 

I hope the family you were working so hard to help out is doing better, but I'm sure this economy is not helping.

Thanks

Ray

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:57 PM »

Hate reading stories like that Ray.  They're too common.  We hear good episodes too.  But the poor ones are too common.  And as with other things it takes little that is bad to spoil the larger well.

The hub is aluminum so its bit wouldn't have been on the magnet.  Likely a lot of compensator shrapnel there.  But bits are bits no matter whether they drain out or are captured on a magnet.  It's a shame that absolutely no preventative nor diagnostic effort is put forth by so many of the shops anymore.  Someday, if it hasn't happened already, that's going to kill someone. 

A drive train that had been complained about by some more novice rider who trusted the shop's "that's normal" suggestion will come apart.  A bike will go down in traffic somewhere and a rider will be run over.  Even sadder is that even there so many other factors will be brought in to the larger question that Mother Harley won't enforce a more owner-positive maintenance protocol.  We're riders not shareholders (even when we might be both [and I'm not, won't buy them no matter what]).  That makes us their revenue generating mushroom committee.

Sorry you had to deal with this Ray.  Such things take some real fun and some of the calm out of having the bikes.  Reasons to do more of our own though.  Buy parts from the MoCo only when you have to, use good aftermarket when it's available so the MoCo gets as little follow on dollars as it can and ride on.  Be well and ride on :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »

Oh, and back to the original question; personally I've had good luck with the clutch parts from Barnett.  The Scorpion series. 

The original didn't stand up long to the 107 build in the red bike.  Had a good original as a spare and it lasted maybe 5k miles.  The Barnett stuff held up fine for a long time and under some aggressive riding.  A benefit with theirs was their kit worked with the hydraulic clutch without any screwing around "adjusting" the length of the pushrod.  Was plug and play while others weren't.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »

I may be wrong but the splines on the hub appear to be made of steel.  It looks like the splined section is pressed into the aluminum housing.  I remember using cheese cloth to pour the oil through and the amount of aluminum pieces were incredible.  It's all history now but I'm glad that it was taken care of before it had more damage.  I'll check the old compensator more closely tomorrow.  Looks like I'll be contacting Barnett & Rivera.  I really liked the easy pull the bike had with the Energy One & the VP92 kit.  You are right about the possibility of something catastrophic happening that could be the root cause of a serious life threatening situation because they trusted the dealer, and that could be any company that just doesn't use common sense because they are too busy trying to save a buck in the tough economic times we live in. 

Thanks for the help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »

I may be wrong but the splines on the hub appear to be made of steel. 

Nope, you're right.  Was thinking and typing earlier about the other part.  It more commonly craps out so that's what was on my mind. 

Unless they've changed the Rivera kit for hydraulic clutch makes you grind down the pushrod to find the right length.  It's tedious and easy to screw up.  The Barnett kit actually just fits.  Both work fine once installed though.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.