Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Symptons of a Bad or Failing Compensator  (Read 73382 times)

Rodger7920

Re: Symptons of a Bad or Failing Compensator
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »

On the way home from work yesterday, coming up to a red light 2 blocks from the house and I get the dreaded sound of gravel, and metal chunks in the primary.  God awful grinding and chattering.  Got it home and to the shop today.  Oh, by the way it's on a 2013 Road Kind CVO FLHSE5 with 6500 miles on it.  I had traded in my 2011 Road King Classic on this one but on the 2011, I had the compensator sprocket wear out and the HD dealer replaced it with the SE upgraded one.  He told me that HD sent out a memo to all of the dealers that the manufacturer who makes the sprocket for Harley had gotten in a bad batch of cheap metal and these things were failing left and right.  Well, I kind of have to wonder why it went out on the 110" SE CVO then.  Will update after repairs.

CookieCVO

• My Ride
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »

You know I too thought I had a bad Comp.  Only to find out the HD dealer that sold it new charged the guy for a Screaming Eagle re-flash and never did the flash and the compression releases were OFF!

After I installed the Kuryakyn re-flash system, I turned on the compression releases and all my starting issues are gone!  I change my primary every 3k miles.  Comp. looks good and have only clutch finds in the oil.

Next project is to deck the heads for more Compression and then cams....

Damn business partner has one of those 130 S&S motors on his old Bagger.  Kicks my butt every time! :o  :soapbox:

2009 FLHTCUSE Ultra Classic 110CVO
2009 FLHTCUSE4
A Work in Progress~~~~

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »

I have 45,000 miles on my sprockets, compensator,clutch  basket and manual chain adjuster.  The only problem I had was that a screw come lose on the serrated Bracer. It ate one roller on half of one link.
Made awful noise and was able to limp home 30 miles out in the country where cell phones don't work.
2000 FXR4 CVO. S&S V111 motor, Rivera Promo 6 speed gearset. 22k miles with big motor.
Ltank
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.