Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1 bike 2 riders down  (Read 3502 times)

stestrglde

• Full CVO Member
1 bike 2 riders down
« on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »

Hope we can all say a prayer for a couple driving thru St Louis yesterday July 5th from Michigan. Both were killed when a 69 y/o man turned right in front of them.  The man said he never saw them. My thoughts and prayers are with their families. I do not know either of them but I live in the area.

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
Re: 1 bike 2 riders down
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

Always a sad deal! Prayers for their family!!

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »

May God bless their souls and give their families strength through this tragic event. 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »

My condolences to the family. Very sad...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Michigan Couple Killed In St. Louis Yesterday
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

A MI couple were on vacation in St. Louis visiting family when riding on Big Bend a car made a left turn in front of them.  They both died shortly thereafter at the hospital.

No citations or charges have been filed.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/couple-killed-in-motorcycle-crash-in-st-louis-county-identified/article_2be976a2-c6cd-11e1-bbdd-001a4bcf6878.html
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »

Condolences to the family
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »

How can anyone claim not to see a touring bike, 2up, with 3 blazing headlights?  :nixweiss:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »

How can anyone claim not to see a touring bike, 2up, with 3 blazing headlights?  :nixweiss:
They see the bike coming and pull out there anyway!!!  >:(  Had it happen to me yesterday! Doing 55 on a county hi-way the car approached from a side road. There was time to pull out but they should have waited on me to go by. I had to let off until they got up to speed! Gripes my @$$ when they do that!!!  :P

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »

They see the bike coming and pull out there anyway!!!  >:(  Had it happen to me yesterday! Doing 55 on a county hi-way the car approached from a side road. There was time to pull out but they should have waited on me to go by. I had to let off until they got up to speed! Gripes my @$$ when they do that!!!  :P
X2 Yep, a lot of the time they look me right in the eye...and still pull out! :soapbox:
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:13:36 AM »

RIP, It's always sad to hear such tragedies, I hope the driver is not allowed to drive again to repeat, did not see is a poor excuse for not being attentive,
such a waste and such grief caused...
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »

They do not register the bike as a threat, thus they turn. A car or SUV is larger and the mind sees that as a threat that can do them harm so they pause and give right of way. But a bike is smaller and sadly is not viewed as a threat.

Sometimes the brain sees objects as getting larger but not getting closer. The usually happens to objects coming straight towards you. A baseball is the classic example. Someone not trained in sports may see the baseball as only getting larger, but not getting closer until they are beaned. The bike is often seen as growing bigger but not coming closer so once again the mind does not perceive it as a threat.

As a long time rider and motorcycle instructor, I have come to the conclusion that some drivers just do not see us. We can wear reflective clothing, have bright colored paint, use loud obnoxious exhaust, cover the bike in bright lights, crank the stereo, and even ride in a large group, but none of that matters to the one driver who just does not see us.

Condolences to the families for their loss.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »

I have to agree that there are just some people that have a hard time seeing bikes for whatever reason. I drive in some pretty congested areas around Chicago, and almost every day I have a close call to some level. I've learned to drive defensively like no other, and assume all of these bozos are aiming for me. I've actually had the same old coot in a yellow Cadillac pull out in front me twice going down the hwy on the way home from work - we must be on the same schedule. It's like she only notices me when my horn is blazing and my tires are squealing.  Whenever I see the nose of that thing at the stop sign, I slow way down, even if the folks behind me get ticked. It's weird but I think you're on to something here and actually wondered that myself.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »

I live in the documented most dangerious city in the US, Baton Rouge, La. It may be true that some don't see us but I can truly say that here we get run over because we get no respect and the laws for killing someone with a car are so weak they just don't care. Kill a biker, get a ticket for failing to yeald. Penalty just got raised from $25.00 to $85.00 .
Hell, a couple of years ago the mayor of one of the bedroom towns here pulled out in front of a bike and they hit her broadside, rider flew 100+feet, died on impact, crippled his for life and she didn't even get the ticket.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 21 queries.