Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: CFR Exhaust (Cary Faas Racing) - First Impressions  (Read 46540 times)

vmatc

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 (Krypto/Black)
    • CVO2: FXSBSE (Black/Silver) [sold]
CFR Exhaust (Cary Faas Racing) - First Impressions
« on: July 15, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »

This morning I installed CFR exhaust on my SG. After waiting over two months for them to be shipped from Direct Harley Parts  >:( (that's another topic), I was pretty excited to get them on. To put my excitement in perspective this was my first real mod.  I purchased these site unseen except for the videos on YouTube and photos on this and other forums. I had never heard them in person and you don't see them in Europe, at least I haven't!  Anyway, out of the box they look very well made. I have installed them to the stock headers. The fit was perfect and the install was easy and strait forward. Soooo...here's the surprise for me. IMHO they are damn loud! I'm aware that going to any aftermarket exhaust from stock has more volume but I wasn't expecting quite the thunderous boom I got when the spark ignited that fuel/air mixture! I immediately got on my bike and got out of the neighborhood as not to piss off the neighbors. I spent about two hours cruising around in the country and on the autobahn. I had way too much anxiety to attempt to drive near any populated areas. After my ride I have come to the conclusion that I will need earplugs if I intend to keep these pipes on. I never turned on the radio but I'm sure that the volume will have to be knocked up a few notches also! A good friend had me drive up and down his street a couple of times and he says it's loud but very deep and not obnoxious at all.  In his opinion they shouldn't attract any unwanted attention as long as I stay off the throttle in the urban areas. That definitely made me relax and it put my mind at ease.  I think after a few rides and earplugs I will enjoy them. I wanted deep and loud but, as you know, that's all perspective.
Some stuff that I like...

denis

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2114 cvo ultra blue
Re: CFR Exhaust (Cary Faas Racing) - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »

i have cfr on my 2012 ultra love the sound not bad at 80mph people yhat hear them end up buying them for their bikes

vmatc

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:36:20 AM »

Denis,

Do you wear ear plugs? If not, what type of helmet do you normally use?  I use a 3/4 face HD. 

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:58:06 AM »

If you're thinking they are loud don't change the header for one without catalyser, otherwise I think I will be able to ear you from home! ;)  :D
Have you got any pictures of them on your bike?

vmatc

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:24:15 AM »

I didn't take any pictures yet. I'm on the road until Friday but I will post a couple when I get back.

I definitely crossed headers off my list for the time being.  I will ride with just the slip-ons for a while.  I really like the look and I think I will get accustomed to the sound with my rides.  Now, I'm focusing on a few cosmetic changes so that will give me time to get use to the pipes.

denis

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2114 cvo ultra blue
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »

no i dont wear earplugs or a helmet they are not that loud at high speed but if u change the head pipe they could get louder i just run cfr slipons with a sert and a dyno tune ill let u know how my wife likes the sound we are going to sturgis on 03aug  :apple:

vmatc

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »

no i dont wear earplugs or a helmet they are not that loud at high speed but if u change the head pipe they could get louder i just run cfr slipons with a sert and a dyno tune ill let u know how my wife likes the sound we are going to sturgis on 03aug  :apple:

Very nice...enjoy your trip!

11UltraSE6

• 2011.5 SEUC

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEUC
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »

I installed the CFR's on the stock header. Sounded good. Proceeded with X-pipe and TTS master tune. Sounded Better. Canned the x-pipe and went with Rush True duals along with the CFR's. Sounds Awesome. Loud as hell when you crack the throttle. Will blow your windows out of your house. Not really but thats how good they sound. Nothing else I've heard can compare. The other guys in the MC always are telling me how good they sound. Don't get rid of them.
Combat Veterans of America MC

vmatc

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »

I installed the CFR's on the stock header. Sounded good. Proceeded with X-pipe and TTS master tune. Sounded Better. Canned the x-pipe and went with Rush True duals along with the CFR's. Sounds Awesome. Loud as hell when you crack the throttle. Will blow your windows out of your house. Not really but thats how good they sound. Nothing else I've heard can compare. The other guys in the MC always are telling me how good they sound. Don't get rid of them.

I'm sure they sound nice and I would love to hear them in person.  As you know, the best recording equipment cannot replicate any exhaust and give you a true feeling.  When I read that the CFR's were deep, I had no idea how deep until I installed mine.  They are deeper than anything that I have heard so far.  And it's a very nice deep sound.  I'm getting use to them now and I'm beginning to really enjoy them.  It sounds like you really enjoy yours as well! 

Keep on riding and be safe! 

ricklong

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »

I have CFR's and the Fullsac X pip on my SESG.  UNBELIEVABLE  GREAT sound.  The deep rumble is what the heart of a Harley sounds like when it beats.  Its almost like it is alive and breathing.  Also, absolutely no popping when you back out of the throttle.  Could not be happier with the sound 
2012 FLHXSE3:  Reaper 274 cams, Fueling camplate, Fueling lifters, Zippers tensioners, S&S push rods, Rinehart Exreme exhaust, Roland Sands Clarity breather, Heads & Jugs diamond cut, Yaffee 12' bars, Focal audio system, C&C custom seat...etc

2013 FXSBSE:  Reaper 274 cams, Fueling camplate, Fueling lifters, Zippers tensioners, S&S push rods, VH 2 into 2 Big Radius, Heads & Jugs diamond cut, 10,25 mini apes, Legend Air ride, James Carter custom stingray seat....etc

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »

Hey ricklong, I also have 2012 SESG I just installed tts MASTERTUNE and Fullsac xpipe with 2.25 power cores sounds good and runs good stage I sleeper kit from Fullsac , I have a set of CFRS I was running with with stock head pipes untill my back ordered xpipe arrived I was told CFRS don't have enough back pressure with the xpipe and bike would not run right and would loose HP . I was told you could not tune bike right with CFRS .....what do you or anyone else on forum think I bought the CFRS from hd dealer after hearing them on a brand new bike on show room floor that was for sale?
Semper Fi

rrussow

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »

Rick and Hamm, I was wondering the same thing.  I heard the x-pipe and CRFs don't play well together.  I'd rather run hot as the CFRs are awesome.

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »

Hey I called CFR and talked to Cary he  doesnt knock the x pipe but said not really his thing , he did talk highly of the tts MASTERTUNEer though, he said he has many customers running xpipe and CFR slipons with no proablems my bike is in for it's 1000 mile service I just put  Fullsac stage I kit on it with 2.5 power cores sounds pretty good and runs well when I get it back in town I am going to slip the CFRS on and see how it does!
Semper Fi

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

Hey I called CFR and talked to Cary he  doesnt knock the x pipe but said not really his thing , he did talk highly of the tts MASTERTUNEer though, he said he has many customers running xpipe and CFR slipons with no proablems my bike is in for it's 1000 mile service I just put  Fullsac stage I kit on it with 2.5 power cores sounds pretty good and runs well when I get it back in town I am going to slip the CFRS on and see how it does!

What was his "thing" for a headpipe ?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »

Hey Mr D...I know its been awhile since you asked about the xpipes...Cary said he was not a big fan of stepped headers that he would would run tru duals hisself..I was pleased I got got to talk to him personally . I received alot of information from him about exhaust, headers, intake...ect...I certainly do not want to take anything out of context he said or misquote anything he said... honestly alot of it was a little above my paygrade anyways, But the information I did receive was that he has hundreds if not more customers running xpipes with cfr slipons, and tts tuner...I would definality call him if you had any questions give him a call and he will talk shop!!!!
Semper Fi

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

It's all about personal tastes IMO.
We have some people running most of the combos you are all talking about.
Personally, my 2 "main riders" are totally different.
My 103 is pretty tame for the long rides. I'm using the x-pipe and 1 3/4 cvo cores because I ride 2000-3000 RPM all day long, and I like the quiet.
My 113 is more performance minded (but, a SG) and I'm running true duals with more open mufflers. It is pretty loud under load and over 2500 RPM, but we don't do the long rides on that one!
I like 'em both for different reasons.
Our group also has different combos of pipes/mufflers and I have my favorites. The owners (some of them) change mufflers like I change my socks (that would be once a month! ;D)
Different strokes and pipes for different..........you get the picture!
Run along with your buddies, see what you like best. Hard to tell the difference in "seat of the pants dyno" when just riding!
Of course.........JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

JJAA

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE5 #629
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »

I would definality call him if you had any questions give him a call and he will talk shop!!!!

His site is offline, can you give me his phone and mail.
Thanks in advance,

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

His number is on the bottom of his webpage that says site under development....623-374-3759...Peoria, Arizona...I am running xpipe...tts tuner and cfr exhaust.....I am running the Fullsac map that Steve sends with his 2.5 cores......and cant tell any difference in performance...i can tell a big difference in sound CFR's have a very deep rumble.....i have got many compliments on sound....I was surprised at how many people noticed the different sound and asked what kind of pipes I'm using....i am considering going to a true dual header at some point just for the hell of it...........
Semper Fi

JJAA

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE5 #629
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

You mean no difference compared to stock ?
If so do not understand reason why, they seem to be much more free flowing... Whatever back pressure etc.

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »

No I meant the difference in performance between CFRS and the  Fullsac 2.5 cores with the xpipe and tts tuner.....
Semper Fi

JJAA

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE5 #629
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »

Ouf !  :huepfenjump3:

Have you had a chance to compare sound/perf with D&D fat ?

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

no i havent heard any d&d's.....most everyone around here is running Rhineharts or Vance and Hines
Semper Fi

Ultra orange

• CVO1: 2012 ultra electric orange
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »

Does anyone know hows the CFR's compare to V&H high outputs ? dyno and sound.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »

Does anyone know hows the CFR's compare to V&H high outputs ? dyno and sound.

They both provide that ugly torque dip at 2200  :'(
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

JJAA

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE5 #629
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »

They both provide that ugly torque dip at 2200  :'(

And about sound, how do they differ ?

Ultra orange

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »

I wounder if a X pipe or power duals would help the dip @ 2k

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »

here
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Ultra orange

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »

Beautiful

Ultra orange

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »

Trying to decide on a good exhaust.
Power duals vs dresser duals
CFR's vs high outputs

Nobody around here is running CFR's so there's no way to hear them in person.

DennisG

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »

Trying to decide on a good exhaust.
Power duals vs dresser duals
CFR's vs high outputs

Nobody around here is running CFR's so there's no way to hear them in person.

Older thread, but I had not seen it.  I had both CFR and VH High outputs 2 years ago on my CVO Ultra with power duals.  WAY different.  The High outputs had a lot of bass and no cut and not really very loud.  THe CFR were WAY louder and sounded like a built 396 chevy with glaspak mufflers. Kinda awesome and interesting in a way, BUT lost a lot of low end power with them and never had the bike tuned with them on.  Read lots of things about trouble tuning them and they were somewhat disturbingly loud and coupled with that loss of performance so I moved on to something else (Fuelmoto stainless x pipe and fuel moto mufflers, my favorite setup on that bike)  I have since heard that they now put some kind of restrictors in the CFR to raise the back pressure and are probably easier to tune.

NOw I have DD fatcat with wrapped performance baffle. and ghost pipe on my '11 SESG with engine work..my favorite of all..  good performance, awesome deep sound, not irritatingly loud

Dennis
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond with Crimson graphics
Wood 8 cams, 58mm TB, Hillside heads, (Changed to R&R cast heads, went from 115 hp 113 tq to 125 hp 124.73 tq)  D&D Bosscat Wrapped performance baffle, awesome sound!
Harley LED headlights and passing lamps
Focal spkrs and Arc Audio amp
Wild One Chubby bars 0575

Ultra orange

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »

Thanks I will look into the restricted cfr's.

BlackDiamond11

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »

Does anyone have opinion regarding the difference in sound between the Fullsac power cores vs CFR's?  I was told by the dealer that basically there would not be much difference in sound at all.  The CFR's really have my attention.  I have heard nothing but positive things regarding the sound. 

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 02:45:43 AM »

love the way the CFR's sound...not a big fan of the megaphone look!!! also I hear nothing but problems in trying to tune it in....very wide open with an open header ( no cats)
sounds like a v-8 but not sure of the power and torque
Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »

love the way the CFR's sound...not a big fan of the megaphone look!!! also I hear nothing but problems in trying to tune it in....very wide open with an open header ( no cats)
sounds like a v-8 but not sure of the power and torque

X2

YELLOWBIRD
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »

Does anyone have opinion regarding the difference in sound between the Fullsac power cores vs CFR's?  I was told by the dealer that basically there would not be much difference in sound at all.  The CFR's really have my attention.  I have heard nothing but positive things regarding the sound. 
There is no comparison between the fullsac cores vs CFR's SOUNDWISE. Fullsac are pretty mellow and the CFR have a deep, distinct sound. But so far from what I am finding researching, the fullsac setup outperforms the CFR's. This is the case with anything vs CFR PERFORMANCE wise so far. I am calling Cary Faas this morning then calling Jaime @ Fuelmoto and Steve @ Fullsac to get the scoop from the horses mouth. I will then make an educated decision. I would be happy to post back  ;)

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »

There is no comparison between the fullsac cores vs CFR's SOUNDWISE. Fullsac are pretty mellow and the CFR have a deep, distinct sound. But so far from what I am finding researching, the fullsac setup outperforms the CFR's. This is the case with anything vs CFR PERFORMANCE wise so far. I am calling Cary Faas this morning then calling Jaime @ Fuelmoto and Steve @ Fullsac to get the scoop from the horses mouth. I will then make an educated decision. I would be happy to post back  ;)

DON'T DO IT!
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

tomroozendaal

• Junior CVO Member
  • Begeren is beter dan het beheren...!!!

• CVO1: CVO Raod Glide Custom 2013
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »

DON'T DO IT!

I have the fullsac x-pipe with cfr exchaust setup, Vosselman (www.vosselman.nl) told me he is able to tune my bike.
Be yourself, there are plenty of other..!!!

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »

I have the fullsac x-pipe with cfr exchaust setup, Vosselman (www.vosselman.nl) told me he is able to tune my bike.

you WILL have a nasty torque dip below 2400rpms.  If that doesn't bother you go for it.  They will tune if you have a good tuner but you can't fix the torque dip at low rpms even with a cam.

your $, I wasted mine trying so.................up to you.
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »

They are very loud. I would never have bought them without hearing them first.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »

:confused5:  CHIT!  Every time I get close to ordering a set of the CFR's you guy write nasty stuff that makes me crawl back into a hole  :confused5:  As far as the sound, I have the fullsac head pipes and the 2.25 cores, and I have heard the CFR's in person side by side, that's why I can't get it out of my head.  Hands down, the CFR's sound bad ass, I think an earlier thread compared them to a Cobra?  My bike runs like a champ and all this talk about tuning issues have kept me away.  I'm not all that concerned about the torque dip, I have a 30t pulley that will help compensate for that, I like the sound, but I also like to ride a maintenance free well tuned bike?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »

People used to rag on Rinehart true duals having a torque dip, but I ran them on my '04 SEEG and loved the sound and performance.  How bad is the dip with these, really?  And if it's below 2400, is it even noticeable?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

I was next to a guy who had them
On an 09 CVO rg.   They were loud at idle.  I couldn't wait to get by him. I have heard the same thing that they don't make power.  I hear the kury works great. They are loud toe also.  Not like the cfr's tho.  :nixweiss:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »

DON'T DO IT!
After speaking with Fuelmoto I ordered a Power Vision with preloaded map for my new exhaust that I ordered as well which was:

Wait for it.....

Wait for it....

Wait for it..........

D & D Boss Fatcat with wrapped perforated baffle and ghost pipe!!!!  :bananarock: :mango: :huepfenjump3:

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »

After speaking with Fuelmoto I ordered a Power Vision with preloaded map for my new exhaust that I ordered as well which was:

Wait for it.....

Wait for it....

Wait for it..........

D & D Boss Fatcat with wrapped perforated baffle and ghost pipe!!!!  :bananarock: :mango: :huepfenjump3:

You won't be sorry :2vrolijk_21:
2013 FLTRXSE2

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »

bro_kin_arrow

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »

Just installed a set of CFRs with dresser duals. WOW!  I am impressed!!  Before I left the dealership I had many people come check out my bike. They are BA!!!!  I am extremely happy with them!  I can't wait to ride tomorrow. Check out an earlier thread called (2012 cvo ultra with dresser duals w/ CFR) you will see the dyno numbers are good too!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 21 queries.