Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: decelleration popping and noise from engine.  (Read 9591 times)

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
Re: decelleration popping and noise from engine.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

Pork,

I have had the same issues with popping/backfire/decelleration and had it fixed with a Dyno tune.  See this posting.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=71964.0

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »

Wow, been almost a year since I started this topic.  anyway, 2 days ago, I get my service writer calls me up and says he has good and bad news.  the bad news is that they have checked out the oil and there is filings in the oil.  The good news is that Harley is going to put in a brand new engine.  yay!!  They're not even going to tear the motor down.  Wonder why, though..............   But I am expecting it might run better after that.   pork.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

sounds like  good news  :orange:
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »

Can`t argue with that!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

Great news  :2vrolijk_21:
For once the MOCO comes up trumps!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »

Don't do it.  You will make things worse, especially backfiring and popping.  It will be like having a straight pipe with no baffles and bike will sound like crap and will kill your low end torque.

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak or exhaust leak or a bad plug or plug wire. Not sure why a good dealer can't find the problem.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »

Now wait a minute.............you're saying don't let MoCo put a brand new engine in my bike?  Because it will make it worse?  Are you close by?  Can you come right over and diagnose the bike yourself?  I surely don't want to make a mistake but I truly can't see where I am making a mistake.   Pork. ;)

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »

I think he is talking about your friend the "punching" out the cat or something in the exhaust..  New engine is good!!
David

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »

Yes on the engine !!!

No on punching out the muffler !!!

Go with a Screaming Eagle slip on muffler if you want quiet performance and a TTS fuel management system to help cool down the bike and improve performance.

Glad Harley is going to take care of the engine.

Did they say what the problem was?

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

Okay, SteveO, just reread the postings and now realize what you were talking about with the popping/baffles removed, etc.    :) That bike was 8 years older than this bike and I imagine the technology is different now and wouldn't be a good idea.  I'll take the advice.  But glad you weren't recommending NOT going with the new engine.  So, Saturday they will install the new heart and hopefully I will be good.   thanks.  Poork.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 12:23:38 AM »

well, tonite I picked up the bike with the brand new engine in it.  They showed me my old engine in a box ready to ship back to Milwaukee.  That engine is sure big when out of the bike!!  Took it out on the road and it appears to run flawlessly so far.  Much more power than before and when it idles, it idles like it is supposed to.  So, do I have any suggestions about how to break in this new engine?  I was told by someone at the counter that I should "drive it like you stole it"!  I said, well, there are 2 of us (me and my wife) who heard that.  someone else said "be gentle with it".  So, forum brothers and sisters, what do you say?    Poork.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »

Pork,  that subject has about as much controversy as opening up a new thread on who makes the best oil.  There are definitely two different views on this and a lot of internet research to back up both points.  I prefer the "ride it hard" approach, however if something breaks and the MoCo can discern that you didn't follow the recommended "gentle" break in procedure, it can invalidate your warranty, or so I've been told.  Very happy to hear that your problem had a happy ending.

JB

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »

x2 ...lot of info  including dyno break in as well
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

Many - Many different views on break in.  Probably because there is really no way to tell who is correct.

I have broken in many engines with the same procedure,  (cycle , cars, tractors, small engines )    Very gentle (low rpm and acceleration) for the first few miles (250)  or hours (4).  Then do recommended break in for next interval half of time. ( 500mile or 8hrs )

CHANGE the oil filter.   

After filter change I then get progressively more aggressive.   Change oil and filter at recommended interval.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »

all good recommendations and thoughts.  Let me tell you about this morning....got your helmet strapped on, seatbelt firmly in place.....oops, this is a motorycle, never mind........and hand on the throttle??  if this bike was a car, it would register as a NASCAR this morning.  what a beautiful day.  75 degrees, just t-shirt and vest (I know; what about safety??) well I had my helmet on.  filled up the bike as the dealer must have forgotten and left me with about 1/8 of a tank.  Headed out to work which is about 35 miles and didn't want to run out of gas.  This engine has a tiny bit of discernable noise which may be acceptable as it is a frame-mount engine vs rubber mount. But the accelleration from 1000 up thru 2000 and as high up as 3500 was absolutely flawless.  As I go into the 3000+ realm, it started that Harley growl (sweetspot I call it) that I love so well but seems to attract the cars with silvers shields on the doors.........Like I said, if this was a car, it could have been a NASCAR.  Feels like endless throttle.  Never got into 6th gear as I was trying to keep the rpm above 2K and not go over 3500 but keep the rpms up there. Raise it up to 3500 and then go down to 2K on its own power and then back up again slowly.  Revvd as smooth as glass.  2800 and up is where I realized the noise and vibration etc on the last engine.  This engine seemed like it could have continued up in rpm until it sounded like a scalded cat!  But don't want the MoCo to see that in print!  I was mucho impressed.  Just sad that the first 12,000 miles was spent with an engine that was destined to be sent back to the factory in shame. Now, like Jasray and a few others have testified, I love this bike.  It is well balanced and well designed.  I still liked the bike before but even more now.  What is wierd is that I can go thru 1st gear without the bike feeling like it is ready to stumble and fall.  And like I said, seeing that engine in the box ready to be shipped back to Milwaukee.....that is one biggggggggggg motor!  Anyway, if the next number of miles works out, I should have this bike for some time.......unless Harley puts out a 2014 bike this year that I just can't live without.  Truly I think my wife would send me to the hospital to be examined..........but she does admit that chrome is the "other" precious metal.............  ha!   Pork.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:17:56 PM by porkypig »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.