Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fletcher's Harley Davidson loses one of their own!  (Read 3474 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Fletcher's Harley Davidson loses one of their own!
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »

Mr Robert Fletcher owner of Fletcher's Harley Davidson in Clearwater Fl. passed away Saturday 6/9/12 at the age of 90. Always enjoyed talking with Bob and listening to his stories of early years of riding and racing motorcycles! R.I.P. Bob Fletcher!
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fletcher's Harley Davidson loses one of their own!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »

I actually met him a few times. He was great. I loved to hear some of his stories. RIP BOB FLETCHER!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »

Received an e mail yesterday that Fletcher's Harley Davidson will be closing their doors as of July 31 2012. Very sad day for a family owned dealership since 1964!
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:31 AM »

Really sad to hear Dave.  I'm sure the economy had lots to do with why they are closing. Mr Fletcher did pretty good.  95 years.  Too bad about the dealership tho.  :(

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »

Bob Fletcher was a mentor to me. I was staying in Clearwater in 1975 while we were trying to find a location for our dealership in Valdosta, GA. Jerry Ludlam (our district manager) arranged for me to hang around Bob’s store so he could show me the ropes. Of course I spent most days in the shop. Bob sold me his drill press for $25. I remember his stories about his drag racing days and especially the accident stories. Francis (Cannonball) Hockett was the dealer in Tampa in those days. One day when I was at Fletcher’s, Cannonball came over for a visit. The three of us were talking and Cannonball was complaining about how bad business was. Bob said, “yeah, but what else would you rather be doing?”. That was the way Bob felt. Good times or bad times, he was doing just what he wanted to do in life and he loved it. I was impressed and I wanted to be just like him. Peggy and her husband, Gayle, came up to Valdosta many times to visit us once we got the shop opened. I wish her and her sisters the very best, but hearing that the dealership is closing is like losing an old friend...again.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »

Bob Fletcher was a mentor to me. I was staying in Clearwater in 1975 while we were trying to find a location for our dealership in Valdosta, GA. Jerry Ludlam (our district manager) arranged for me to hang around Bob’s store so he could show me the ropes. Of course I spent most days in the shop. Bob sold me his drill press for $25. I remember his stories about his drag racing days and especially the accident stories. Francis (Cannonball) Hockett was the dealer in Tampa in those days. One day when I was at Fletcher’s, Cannonball came over for a visit. The three of us were talking and Cannonball was complaining about how bad business was. Bob said, “yeah, but what else would you rather be doing?”. That was the way Bob felt. Good times or bad times, he was doing just what he wanted to do in life and he loved it. I was impressed and I wanted to be just like him. Peggy and her husband, Gayle, came up to Valdosta many times to visit us once we got the shop opened. I wish her and her sisters the very best, but hearing that the dealership is closing is like losing an old friend...again.
That's a cool picture and I'll be stopping by the dealership on my home tomorrow to with them! Thanks for posting! :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »

Thanks "Gettinold",
One correction to my post now that I think about it. Cannonball's dealership was in St. Pete., not Tampa.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:27:42 AM »

That's a cool picture and I'll be stopping by the dealership on my home tomorrow to with them! Thanks for posting! :2vrolijk_21:

cool picture, better remembrances.

Sorry for the loss

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »

Too bad you didn't hang on to that 'shop truck'.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »

One of Rat's buddies in Atlanta bought it. He chopped the top and made a rod out of it. Fitting, I think.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »

SO very sorry to hear this.  :(  Although I have never met you, your posts have been a tremendous help and I hope you stay on as a moderator. I suffer with back pain also and have been told to stop riding.... So I went out and got a bagger!!  ;D I may have stop riding when the pain gets that bad but for now....I'm staying in the saddle as long as I can!
Good Luck!
RETIRED! :fireman:

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.