Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio  (Read 61754 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2006, 11:05:12 AM »

What is everyone using to take the 3/16" allen screws out of the radio?
My CD changer will not load a CD..
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »

Oh chit, now you'll only get half the stations, not play the front half of any CD and only be able to transmit on CB.

After two attempts, of course dropping the damn screw each time, four or five choice words, and an impossible angle, I said "FI"...it's over-engineered...

It's coming back out tomorrow to go visit Jim anyway...If I can't go to California, at least my HK can... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2006, 06:55:40 PM »

Thanks TC for the response that the "L" shaped ball allen would work and that's what I bought.  For any repair I have done on this bike, I normally spend more time looking for dropped fasteners than doing the project.  I also have bought more specialty wrenches like others have as well.  Now all I need is a radio to put back in.  Radio Sound was closed today and might be all week.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2006, 07:04:24 PM »

After two attempts, of course dropping the damn screw each time, four or five choice words, and an impossible angle, I said "FI"...it's over-engineered...

It's coming back out tomorrow to go visit Jim anyway...If I can't go to California, at least my HK can... ;)

Terry, it's been long enough since my radio was R&R that I really don't remember how much of an angle there was to accessibility of those screws.  Really don't remember them being such a major bother though.  I've got some long allen wrenches with the universal angled head so that must've helped.  But don't remember fighting it that bad.  Hopefully won't have to revisit the experience though.  Satisfied with it right where it is!

hogasm

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2006, 07:13:20 PM »

Bought a whole set of 6" ball end allen 3/8" sockets made by S&S Tools for about $25 off Ebay. They make this and many other jobs alot easier.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2006, 08:33:51 PM »

Just got back from screwing all four of mine in.  Probably shouldn't have even jacked with the front two since the one on the starboard side is apparently stripped. >:(  Got it all the way in, but it would not snug down. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Oh, well.  Got one more in than Terry! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Hopefully, it will come back out OK if need be sometime. [smiley=nervous.gif]

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2007, 06:02:09 PM »

Got my radio back from Radio Sound with a new CD changer.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:05:12 PM by Boatman »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2007, 06:54:49 PM »

Hey, Boatman, that sounds like a good way to do it, too!  When I was looking at stuff at the Radio Shack here, all they had were the beige 1/8" stereo cords, as well. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Please post the part number of the grommet.  I might need to get one to replace that messed up one of mine sometime.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2007, 09:19:04 PM »

Brian 103-

The part# of the grommet is 76131-98 and the allen screw is part# 2941..
I can't believe none of our local dealers stock the grommet as I know we aren't the first ones to crossthread.  They did have the screws in stock so their tech's most drop them too.

When I was doing the radio input mod, I kept looking at your solder job, kept looking at my plug, and said nice job    [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]..  I couldn't do it.   Even asked Radio Sound to do it but they said "we don't modify the radios in any way".

Bob

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2007, 09:34:07 PM »

Thanks for the part number.  I think the screws are pretty standard issue, so they're probably used elsewhere, too.  Still can't believe I cross-threaded that one of mine, though, since I threaded it most of the way in by hand.  Seemed to go just fine.  Guess I'll have to get one of those t-handled jobbies that hd-dude was telling us about and then try to take it out and see what's up sometime.  'Til then, I guess three will hold it fine.

On the solder job and using the connector, I figured that would maybe be the best since (DAYUM!!!) those wires are small in there.  I was too skeered that after I cut the wire I'd never be able to get it stripped, spliced and soldered back up again.  I think there has been 3 or 4 ways everyone has done this now and, luckily, the radio doesn't seem to care!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2007, 07:47:48 PM »

I reinstalled my radio tonight with the 2 new insert threaded grommets (one was lost when radio sent to Radio Sound for repair and I cross threaded one).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:48:50 PM by Boatman »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »

I reinstalled my radio tonight with the 2 new insert threaded grommets (one was lost when radio sent to Radio Sound for repair and I cross threaded one).

hogasm

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »

Have bought 3     1/8" stereo jacks and all of them have 2 wires and one stranded ground that wraps around the other 2 wires. Is this how all the wires are or is there a different wire out there.

1   Will there be any problem  using this wire and solder a ground wire to the stranded one?

2    How do you determine which of the other 2 wires are which? or does it matter?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2007, 09:50:02 PM »

Have bought 3     1/8" stereo jacks and all of them have 2 wires and one stranded ground that wraps around the other 2 wires. Is this how all the wires are or is there a different wire out there.

1   Will there be any problem  using this wire and solder a ground wire to the stranded one?

2    How do you determine which of the other 2 wires are which? or does it matter?

Not all are like that but they will work fine with the overall ground (shield). Use the overall as your ground connection and you'll have to use a volt ohm meter to determine the left and right color codes of the jacks and cables. The tip is left, the center section is right and the portion closest to the plug is the ground.

If you need more help i'll PM you my number and walk you through it over the phone.

hogasm

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »

I did it :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: that is how much a pain in the azz it is to mess with those little wires.

Thanks Jim and Don for your help. Couldn't have done it without your help :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.