Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: HAYDEN TENSIONER M6 INSTALL  (Read 12835 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: HAYDEN TENSIONER M6 INSTALL
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

Did you or Do we get a Forum Discount when we purchase the Tensioner?  Just asking!  Thx
If you want to know what vendors offer discounts to CVOHarley you should check the Vendor Discounts board.

To answer your question check out this thread - The M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »

Exactly how do you release the pressure on the factory ratchet tensioner to remove it? Don't see a slot for a screwdriver or tool to engage.

Just put a tie strap around the HD auto tensioner (around the top of the shoe and bottom of the tensioner), remove the 2 bolts, and slides right out. You don't have to release the pressure.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »

Just put a tie strap around the HD auto tensioner (around the top of the shoe and bottom of the tensioner), remove the 2 bolts, and slides right out. You don't have to release the pressure.

That's exactly what the H-D Service manual says to do - with pictures, even. It's quite simple... did it today in fact... you just have pry the chain up a bit to make room to slide the zip tie between the chain and the shoe at the rear... then pull the zip tie tight, remove the two bolts, and out it comes - nice and neat.   

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

having mine installed also  along with other stuff  as well   cant wait to get her home
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »

JMO, We pay a premium for our CVO's and to fit after market parts to eliminate any premature wear/damage!!!  :nixweiss:

However the M6 tensioner works well retaining force on the primary chain at varies loads.  :2vrolijk_21:

Can somebody give me more detail on how the OEM tensioner over ratchets.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 06:35:08 PM »

JMO, We pay a premium for our CVO's and to fit after market parts to eliminate any premature wear/damage!!!  :nixweiss:

However the M6 tensioner works well retaining force on the primary chain at varies loads.  :2vrolijk_21:

Can somebody give me more detail on how the OEM tensioner over ratchets.

Aussie - if you accelerate quickly to a high RPM, then decelerate quickly keeping the clutch engaged, this will introduce some slack at the bottom of the chain. The ratcheting tensioner can ratchet up to take up this short-duration slack, and then it will stay there. This can make the chain too tight - which will pull on the sprockets on both ends, and a too-tight chain is hard on both the compensator and the clutch... although the compensator will very likely be the first thing to fail, since the clutch is so much bigger and stouter. An over-tight primary chain will also wear out the sprockets and/or the chain itself prematurely, as well as be noisy in the primary. There's NOTHING good about a too-tight primary chain.

In fact, there is a H-D tech bulletin about how to address a too-loose primary chain... this bulletin states to do exactly what I said above... accelerate quickly to a high RPM, then decelerate quickly using only engine compression... to allow the tensioner to ratchet up and tighten the chain. SO... H-D's own tech bulletin to deal with a too-loose primary chain can actually PRODUCE the over-tight primary chain problem!

The Hayden M6 tensioner doesn't have this problem at all, as it constantly adjusts via the internal springs to keep the chain at the proper tension at all times.

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »

Aussie - if you accelerate quickly to a high RPM, then decelerate quickly keeping the clutch engaged, this will introduce some slack at the bottom of the chain. The ratcheting tensioner can ratchet up to take up this short-duration slack, and then it will stay there. This can make the chain too tight - which will pull on the sprockets on both ends, and a too-tight chain is hard on both the compensator and the clutch... although the compensator will very likely be the first thing to fail, since the clutch is so much bigger and stouter. An over-tight primary chain will also wear out the sprockets and/or the chain itself prematurely, as well as be noisy in the primary. There's NOTHING good about a too-tight primary chain.

In fact, there is a H-D tech bulletin about how to address a too-loose primary chain... this bulletin states to do exactly what I said above... accelerate quickly to a high RPM, then decelerate quickly using only engine compression... to allow the tensioner to ratchet up and tighten the chain. SO... H-D's own tech bulletin to deal with a too-loose primary chain can actually PRODUCE the over-tight primary chain problem!

The Hayden M6 tensioner doesn't have this problem at all, as it constantly adjusts via the internal springs to keep the chain at the proper tension at all times.

Very we'll stated! And we agree with the statement.

Thanks,
  Hayden Enterprises
http://www.haydensm6.com

- We're here to help!

We're here to help.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

NGH, Thanks for the detailed explanation, makes sence.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »

Very we'll stated! And we agree with the statement.

Thanks,
  Hayden Enterprises

- We're here to help!

Kathy - for the record, I now have the Hayden M6 BT07 in the Honey Badger... and I really like it. The primary is quieter, it's easy to find neutral, and I feel good that will not need to be concerned about my primary chain ever being over- or under-tightened.

Thanks for a great product!

The Wizard's Tune

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »

I have one in my 2012 RGC and have one on order for my new to me 2007 FXSTSSE.  It was the first thing that I ordered for the bike......just before pipes.  Worth every penny!!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

just test rode my bike today  with the new Hayden m6 installed ...great product thanks  it really makes a  difference  bike shifts so much smoother  and less effort too   thanks
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »

FYI. This is what a tensioner looks like that has ratcheted up too tight. There was virtually no play at all and the bike has only 2400 miles on it.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »

FYI. This is what a tensioner looks like that has ratcheted up too tight. There was virtually no play at all and the bike has only 2400 miles on it.

The chain is very straight at the top, what should it look like with the correct tension?

Are there any tell tails (noticeable noises) when your chain is tight?

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »

Listening to it will be the first tell tale. It will start with a whine that will get louder and louder.

We're here to help.

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »

With any fixed tensioner such as the older style twin cam, or the baker, there should be about 5/8" play at the tightest point checked in several places. With the Hayden, set it and forget it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.