Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Convertible Windshield Touches Forks Causing Excessive Vibration  (Read 1054 times)

12cvosoftail

porkypig posted about popping and engine issues, but it turns out (or so it appears) that the windshield on the 2012 Softail has a manufacturing issue. The back side of the fairing has 2 indents designed to accommodate the forks. However, they are not deep enough and touch the forks causing serious vibration especially at speeds over 60 MPH.

I normally ride with the windshield removed. However, last weekend I put it on for a 500+ mile ride and noticed immediately that the CVO vibrated much more than normal. Most of the ride was at speeds around 70-80 MPH. I wasn't sure what caused the vibration, but decided to troubleshoot the issue this week. That led me to this discussion group.

I checked my fork caps on both sides and they are both worn down where the windshield touches the forks.  I could not slip a piece of paper between the windshield and the fork cap. This explains the vibration with the windshield installed. Oddly, the vibration appears to be engine related even though it's clearly due to the windshield since the problem only occurs with the windshield installed. I removed the windshield and went for a ride and it's a smooth as can be. I encourage you to check your fork caps for wear.

I am contacting HD tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:00:36 PM by 12cvosoftail »

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: 2012 Convertible Windshield Touches Forks Causing Excessive Vibration
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »

12cvosoftail, you da man!  You lead this charge and we will beat a path to your door.  Let us know what you find out as it unfolds.  the porkster.

12cvosoftail

Re: 2012 Convertible Windshield Touches Forks Causing Excessive Vibration
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »

I called HD today and reported the problem. They gave me reference number 1342824. They said "thanks for letting us know". I'm going to CTHD to get replacement fork caps since the issue was caused by a manufacturing flaw. I'll let you know what happens. I removed the fork caps and there is plenty of clearance now and the bike no longer vibrates. So, I wonder what HD will do to resolve this issue. Only time will tell.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.