Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: brake pads  (Read 7981 times)

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: brake pads
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »

I know you guys all seem to love the Lyndall Z Plus pads....but I bought some for my '09 SG at 20,000 miles.  My stock rear pads were (at 20,000 mi) at the point that they'd have to be replaced within 50 miles or so.  My fronts still looked new....which is odd, as I use more front brake than rear.

Replaced all three sets with the Lynall Z Plus pads, and instantly noticed a huge reduction in stopping power, and increase in brake noise.  I figured it was due to them needing to be "seasoned" or broken in.....so I waited to pass judgement until after the break-in period....and I stand by my original opinion.  Much noisier, less stopping power.  Not sure if they last longer than my stock pads, but at 40,000 miles, the Lyndalls are coming off, original stockers are going back on the front, and a new set of stock rears are going on the back.

That's my take on it.  Feel free to tell me I'm full of chit and don't know what I'm talking about, but I put a ton of miles on, mostly two up, and often hauling a trailer, and I effing hate these pads.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »

I know you guys all seem to love the Lyndall Z Plus pads....but I bought some for my '09 SG at 20,000 miles.  My stock rear pads were (at 20,000 mi) at the point that they'd have to be replaced within 50 miles or so.  My fronts still looked new....which is odd, as I use more front brake than rear.

Replaced all three sets with the Lynall Z Plus pads, and instantly noticed a huge reduction in stopping power, and increase in brake noise.  I figured it was due to them needing to be "seasoned" or broken in.....so I waited to pass judgement until after the break-in period....and I stand by my original opinion.  Much noisier, less stopping power.  Not sure if they last longer than my stock pads, but at 40,000 miles, the Lyndalls are coming off, original stockers are going back on the front, and a new set of stock rears are going on the back.

That's my take on it.  Feel free to tell me I'm full of chit and don't know what I'm talking about, but I put a ton of miles on, mostly two up, and often hauling a trailer, and I effing hate these pads.

I'm not going to call you full of anything, but your experience certainly doesn't reflect my own, nor does it track well with the vast majority of folks who have expressed an opinion on the Lyndall pads over the years.  Maybe you got a bad set of pads, or maybe something else was going on we aren't aware of.  Did you contact the guys at Lyndall?  They've always been very responsive to customers in the past, and I imagine they would be very interested in your feedback.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 07:22:54 AM »

Hi guys, on my 09 I will continue to use the stock pads.  I have about 17K miles mostly two up, lots of luggage, and a minimum amount of brake dust. Plenty of pad left front and rear. I did take one 4k mile vacation that was mostly freeway, but the other vacations were a good combination of freeway/side roads to Nebraska, and to Canada. The rest was local riding. My rotors front and rear still look good. On my 95 Heritage I have stock rear, and Hawg Halter four piston on front. When I replace the Hawg Hawlter pads they take quite a while to break in, but the difference in stopping power is noticable. I get the  pads that are recommended by Hawg Halter. The downside is that I believe they are wearing out my front rotor a lot faster then organic pads would. I get good mileage out of them considering I use my 95 for local riding, but I believe if I used their pads on my 09 I would be changing out rotors sooner than with stock pads. So because of those reasons I am just going to stay with HD pads on my 09. A good visual inspection all around the pad is the way to go since sometimes the pads don't wear evenly. The inner ones seem to wear out sooner, and on my 95 Heritage the rears wear into a kind of wedge shape so they look thicker at first glance than they really are. (the rear are stock and have done that since new) CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »

I don't know what kind of pads Harley put on my 2012 CVO SG with the Brembo ABS brakes but this is by far the best stopping Harley I've ever ridden and everything is stock MOCO.
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

PosseRider

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »

I know you guys all seem to love the Lyndell Z Plus pads....but I bought some for my '09 SG at 20,000 miles.  My stock rear pads were (at 20,000 mi) at the point that they'd have to be replaced within 50 miles or so.  My fronts still looked new....which is odd, as I use more front brake than rear.

I agree.  I tried the Z after dealer talked me into them as opposed to the Gold. I will go back to Gold when this new bike is ready for brakes. Had used Lyndall for years & loved them (Gold). The Z pads were squealers. Tried several "fixes" suggested by people but after 3-400 miles squeal was back.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:40 PM »

echo the gold is better than the Z...but again that is just what i found through my experience
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 01:15:36 PM »

LYNDALL   :2vrolijk_21:

I love the Lyndall gold's. above 70* hot and dry The Z's are even better! I have measured stopping distances from 70 mph with the golds and the z's during summer -95* and winter 35* and the lyndalls shortened distances on my single brake front street bob 10' to 15' compared to moco pads.... Lyndall shortened distance ON EVERY TEST!

Lyndalls's CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!

I can't wait to wear out the rotors and replace them with Lyndals rotors and red pads.... Can't wait to measure that! :orange:
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »

When it was time to replace pads on the '07 Ultra, I went with the Lyndall Z Plus front and rear.  I noticed no more brake dust after the change, but did notice more braking force was required and the brakes squealed...ALOT!  Changed the next set to Lyndall Gold and all those issues went away, and I was very happy.  Only 7,500 miles on the new bike before it was parked for the winter, so I am not ready to do pads yet, but when I do it will be the Lyndall Gold pads for sure.
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »

So it looks like the Lyndal 7254 fits the FLTRXSE, I'll pick up a set at the show later this month.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »

I agree with Jerry (GRC) on about everything I have ever seen him post, except the Lyndall Z vs Gold. ON stock, used rotors I like the golds better, no squeal and no dust. But when I bought the last set I got the z pads and a new set of HD polished rotors for my 09 SERG, the stopping is amazing and no squeal. Not sure if the HD pads leave a pattern in rotors or microfibers embed themselves or what but I changed out the pads on last bike from Z's due to the squeal and this time I have none.
But neither of the Z or Gold pads with OE Brembo calipers come close to HawgHalters six piston calipers with Z Pads. They will do stoppies on a non abs dresser with out exception the finest brakes I ever used.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 21 queries.