Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 665 install and XM Antenna Mount  (Read 2258 times)

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
Zumo 665 install and XM Antenna Mount
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »

I converted from the Zumo 660 to the 665.  The 665 came with the new cradle which had to be installed.  Of course this is not a straight plug and play swap.  The new cradle has a load of extra wire to try to bury in the speaker compartment.  I cut the power wire down to the minimum and cut the power plug off the old cradle and soldered it on the new cradle hence plug and play.  There is a mic wire that I had no need for so I cut that off also. The circumference of the new harness is larger than the old one so the rubber grommet needed to be trimmed to feed the harness thru the top of the fairing. I drilled a hole in the back of the fairing to run the XM antenna wire thru then I used silicone caulking to seal the hole.  I buried the excess antenna wire in the right fairing wing (see picture).  I purchased  a chrome Tech Mount handlebar mount and used the magnetic base on the antenna to attach to mount (see picture) by attaching the antenna magnetically everything comes off with the fairing.  I love having the XM radio it was well worth the hassle.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

12 CVO Convertible Satin Pewter
09 Deluxe Vivid Black-Sold

1998 Corvette 500HP
1970 Chevelle SS454 M22 Rock Crusher

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: Zumo 665 install and XM Antenna Mount
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

ejv,

Why didn't you stash the antenna inside the fairing? Did it not work through the plastic layer or was there no room to place it?

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Zumo 665 install and XM Antenna Mount
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »

ejv,

Why didn't you stash the antenna inside the fairing? Did it not work through the plastic layer or was there no room to place it?

MikeV

No place convenient and at the time I was experimenting with antenna locations and I wasn't sure how much wire I would need.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

12 CVO Convertible Satin Pewter
09 Deluxe Vivid Black-Sold

1998 Corvette 500HP
1970 Chevelle SS454 M22 Rock Crusher

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.