Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: TRUE-TRACK, INC. - SWING ARM PIVOT ANCHOR / WOBBLE  (Read 10069 times)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
TRUE-TRACK, INC. - SWING ARM PIVOT ANCHOR / WOBBLE
« on: August 19, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »

Maybe this has been covered in detail elsewhere, but I haven't found it.  The subject company had a booth out in front of Black Hills HD in Rapid City during Sturgis Bike Week.  They had folks lined up constantly (while I was there) getting their device installed at either $360.00 or $390.00 a pop.  They seemed to be using fear of the "high speed wobble" to sell their product and mentioned to more than one that "their equipment was cheaper than a funeral."  

I've done a little checking and even though the wobble feels like it's in the front end, I understand that it has to do more with the swingarm and motor mounts.  I guess this device helps control or eliminate the "wobble" and can also help prevent deterioration of the motor mounts.  

I know that there are several very competent folks that are members of this site.  I'd like to know more and would appreciate opinions on the necessity of this kind of product.  Are there others?  Is the install technical?  I've installed a garbage disposal, so could I handle this?

Thanks!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: TRUE-TRACK, INC. - SWING ARM PIVOT ANCHOR / WO
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:33:22 PM »

I saw therm at Laconia and spoke to the owner.  I was impressed and considered having it intstalled.  The HD baggers can definitely have a rear stear phenonomem in high speed sweepers and I've experienced it.  This is due to the rubber mounted swing arm.  Of course as these bushings wear this can become more pronounced.  I know that FR8TRN had a competing product, ridestr8, on his bike.  I'd like to ride a bike with one of these products installed to make a decision if I'd get one.  Install looks pretty straightforward and simple.  Guess I should have taken the plunge at Laconia.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:55:16 PM »

PHAZE,

There have been other threads concerning the True-Trak and the Ride-Str8 devices.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:08:10 PM »

This high speed wobble thing is strange to say the least.  Some say the ride stra8t or the tru- track help a lot, while some say it doesn't effect handling at all. Some say their bikes wobble, some say it doesn't wobble at all.  My 03 FLHT with tour pack and loaded never had a stange feel at all up to 100 + mph. But, on my first ride on my CUSE it felt stange, matter of fact, I pulled over the first time I reached hiway speeds thinking I had a flat tire due to the way it felt. The dealer has retightened the neck bearings and checked alighment, but I will never feel as confident on this bike as I did on my 03.   I've gotten used to the way it feels and really don't worry about it, but when conditions are right, it's bothersome. If ya'll remember a guy with the handle Golf Pro, he sold his CUSE because of the way it handled.  You would think that with the engineering  expertise that HD has, they would be able to figure out why one bike does it and another one doesn't. You can always chalk it up to the difference between riders, but I 've ridden the same on both bikes and have heard comments from multiple owners saying the same thing.   [smiley=confused5.gif]
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »

I have a True Track on my 03 SERK. As soon as the company that makes them offers one for the 07 models there will be on on my 07 Road Glide. I'm sold solid on them and can't say enough good about them. Best $400 you could spend IMO. It seems that a few people either have rubber mount baggers with no rear stear, or they are simply so used to it, they do not notice it. One of the moderators and I have had some friendly disagreements on this subject, comparing rider size ( weight) riding style and everything we could think of because he thinks they're useless as tits on a bull and I swear by mine. Don't know what to tell you. I do know that people who have ridden my bike all say they can feel the difference when cornering hard. One thing as a heads up. The change the geometry of the bike a bit and as such you will lock up your rear brakes a time or two till you get used to it. Be aware as it's a hairy feeling you don't want to experience in heavy traffic. It's ok after you re-learn the amount of rear brakes to use. I haven't had any lockup problems since I got used to it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »

This high speed wobble thing is strange to say the least.

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 11:39:06 PM »

I thought I was crazy. I feel the rear end wobble on my 02 SERK big time whenever I corner hard or put the coals to her.

However on my 07 CUSE i feel none of that.

I would really like to know the root cause of the wobble and what these products actually do to fix it. Also, I have never had any front end wobble on either bike.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:04:28 AM »

I thought I was crazy. I feel the rear end wobble on my 02 SERK big time whenever I corner hard or put the coals to her.

I would really like to know the root cause of the wobble and what these products actually do to fix it. Also, I have never had any front end wobble on either bike.

They changed the swingarm mounting for the '07 Tourers....it may have resolved the issue......wouldn't that be nice.  On older models some have it some don't....could be riding style....could be build tolerance.....could be....could be.....could be.....

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:44:55 PM »

I didn't think I had it until I hit 115 on a long open stretch of SD highway.  I won't be going there again.  I no longer feel that kind of need for speed on my CUSE.  If I feel the need, I'll be meeting the need on another steed.

Big Al

• If not now, when?
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO3: 2024 RA1250SE
    • T. Allan Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 04:07:34 PM »

I have the Truetrack on both my SEEG and on Kaz' Ultra w/ sidehack

According to Will at Truetrack, the device provides the 3rd engine mount (that all Buell's have by the way). This third mount keeps the engine motion all in one plane (vertical vs horizontal). Without the Truetrack, sideways motion of the rear of the engine/transmission causes a rear wheel steering effect that you can feel on high speed whoops on the highway. Its really disconcerting....Mike (99 Glide) and I rode 85+ on the way back from CC this summer- I have the Truetrack and he doesn't and he was pretty shaken after some of the high speed highway turns we took...He asked how I was able to track so true  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] while he was not...On the Hack it keeps the engine/transmission lined up wit hthe rear wheel and has eliminated my need to replace the bushing and final drive gear evry 10k miles...

According to Will- the earlier cleveblock swingarm bearings and the front engine mount ALWAYS need watching.  The later SA bushings are solid and more reliable...

IMHO in makes good sense and it works.  [smiley=cherry.gif]
Big Al
1999 FLHTCU/I w. Hack (Kaz' ride)- Sold
2006 FLHTCUSE- Hit a deer- Written off
2013 Tri-glide- Sold
2012 BMW K1600GTL- Commuter
2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra Limited- Sold
2024 RA1250-SE- CVO Pan America

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »

Harley-Davidson Electra-Glides must have gone to hell in a hand basket, after 2002 Production.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 06:05:19 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 07:00:01 PM »

From zero to 100+ no wobbles - of course I always make sure I have proper tire inflation and set my rear air shocks to 8 lbs...

Lots of the air shocks are at 0lbs!!!

[smiley=drink.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »

From zero to 100+ no wobbles - of course I always make sure I have proper tire inflation and set my rear air shocks to 8 lbs...

Lots of the air shocks are at 0lbs!!!

[smiley=drink.gif]
John,

The dealer I bought my bike from recommended 0 - 5 psi  in the shocks, which is pretty much what H-D also recommends for someone my size.  I found the cornering to be rather "squirrelly", and was constantly dragging the jiffy stand and floor boards.  Also, the shocks bottomed much to easily.  Now I run 18 - 20 psi, the cornering is much improved, the ride is much improved, and the only time I drag the jiffy stand is when my mind regresses and I think I'm on my Super Glide Sport.  The air pressure recommendations in the owner's manual are useless, in my opinion, especially on the lowered bikes.

Jerry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 10:29:36 PM »

The air pressure recommendations in the owner's manual are useless, in my opinion, especially on the lowered bikes.

Jerry

They're also wrong.  Somewhere on the site is an updated data sheet from HD on air pressures for the shocks that JC posted if memory serves.  

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 10:40:54 PM »

They're also wrong.
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.